By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To March 31st 2023) Switch 125.62 million

Slownenberg said:
curl-6 said:

Eh not really, software sales don't scale linearly with install base. To compare with its contemporary, Galaxy sold more than any PS3 game not called Grand Theft Auto or COD.

How not really? Galaxy was a critically acclaimed Mario game on a system that got to 100m and sold less than a side series like Luigi's Mansion on Switch. The fact that Odyssey is 2x Galaxy's sales and still selling further shows the point. And it's not like there's an argument that what I said isn't true haha, everyone knows a lot of the Wii audience were non-gamers. Galaxy's sales really makes that fact obvious, and Luigi's Mansions sales beating Galaxy's, and with plenty of time left to keep selling, just really drives home the fact that Wii's userbase was significantly non-gamers while Switch's userbase is a more traditional blend.

You ignored his point about the PS3. A portion of the audience was like that yeah but it's overstated since the sales for it's "normal" games were not abnormally low, the games sales on the Switch are just abnormally high. New Super Mario Bros. Wii sold as much as the one on DS for example reaching 30m.

Last edited by Norion - on 11 May 2023

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
curl-6 said:

Eh not really, software sales don't scale linearly with install base. To compare with its contemporary, Galaxy sold more than any PS3 game not called Grand Theft Auto or COD.

How not really? Galaxy was a critically acclaimed Mario game on a system that got to 100m and sold less than a side series like Luigi's Mansion on Switch. The fact that Odyssey is 2x Galaxy's sales and still selling further shows the point. And it's not like there's an argument that what I said isn't true haha, everyone knows a lot of the Wii audience were non-gamers. Galaxy's sales really makes that fact obvious, and Luigi's Mansions sales beating Galaxy's, and with plenty of time left to keep selling, just really drives home the fact that Wii's userbase was significantly non-gamers while Switch's userbase is a more traditional blend.

The reason the comparison is skewed is because it's actually the Switch, not the Wii, that is unusual in terms of software sales. First party games sold way more on Switch than any previous Nintendo system, the infamous "Switch boost".

It's not that Galaxy's sales are abnormally low, it's rather that Luigi's Mansion 3's are abnormally high.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 May 2023

curl-6 said:
Slownenberg said:

Comparing to Switch games isn't a useful metric because it's actually the Switch, not the Wii, that is unusual in this respect. First party games sold way more on Switch than pretty much any previous Nintendo system, the infamous Switch boost.

It's not that Galaxy's sales are abnormally low, it's rather that Luigi's Mansion 3's are abnormally high.

The Switch is a lot more hardcore Nintendo fans is the sense I get from the platform, which is a phenomenon that's developed with time and changing social dynamics (ie: if you liked something as a kid, there's nothing wrong with continuing to do so at age 25 or whatever). 

The Wii was more like you had Nintendo fans, but then you had the "I'm here for Wii Sports + plus I like Mario because I played it in 1988, what the hell is a Metroid?" crowd that made up a huge chunk of the Wii userbase. It's not random coincidence the sales totals of a lot of Nintendo IPs have gone through the roof. 

Even when you talk to Switch gamers or over hear what they're saying in the Switch section it's like "gah damn, these people are serious about their Smash Bros/Animal Crossing/Splatoon/whatever". 

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

Comparing to Switch games isn't a useful metric because it's actually the Switch, not the Wii, that is unusual in this respect. First party games sold way more on Switch than pretty much any previous Nintendo system, the infamous Switch boost.

The Switch is a lot more hardcore Nintendo fans is the sense I get from the platform. 

The Wii was more like you had Nintendo fans, but then you had the "I'm here for Wii Sports + plus I like Mario because I played it in 1988, what the hell is a Metroid?" crowd that made up a huge chunk of the Wii userbase. It's not random coincidence the sales totals of a lot of Nintendo IPs have gone through the roof. 

You're  seeing the Wii as the outlier when it's actually the Switch that's abormal for a Nintendo platform.

Sales of Mario Galaxy are equal or better than most other 3D Mario games; Odyssey is the odd one out, because the Switch's software selling power is way beyond any of its predecessors.

Switch is a phenom not just to Nintendo but in general. Has Nintendo published a game on the system that was reviewed poorly and sold below expectations? It seems they have either hit expectations in even some weird niche stuff and then went well beyond it in other cases small or big projects. No one does that. Even Wii or PS2,PS1,PS4 Nintendo, or Sony-published things had a few duds.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

In the comparison Switch is the odd one out and it can be easily defined why it's performance is unusual to everything before it, it's a hybrid. Before people would mistake both portable and home console consumers being the same people who bought both Nintendo platforms when it was really a case of two separate userbases with some overlap which the Switch has now unified, Switch sales are the outlier for now but likely won't be in the distant future as more hybrid platforms succeed it.

EDIT: Oops wrong thread haha

Played for 15 hours now, the story is very intriguing

Leynos said:

Switch is a phenom not just to Nintendo but in general. Has Nintendo published a game on the system that was reviewed poorly and sold below expectations? It seems they have either hit expectations in even some weird niche stuff and then went well beyond it in other cases small or big projects. No one does that. Even Wii or PS2,PS1,PS4 Nintendo, or Sony-published things had a few duds.

I'm pretty sure the Labo games and Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit sold below Nintendo's expectations but those games were really crazy concepts.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Leynos said:

I'm pretty sure the Labo games and Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit sold below Nintendo's expectations but those games were really crazy concepts.

Tbh Labo sold well above what everyone not called Nintendo expected.