By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To March 31st 2023) Switch 125.62 million

That's 3.07 million for the quarter, 17.97 million for the past FY, 15 million forecast for the current FY.

Updated software numbers:

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 53.79m
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 42.21m
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 31.09m
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 29.81m (Switch version only)
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield - 25.82m
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 25.76m
  • Pokémon Scarlet/Violet - 22.10m
  • Super Mario Party - 19.14m
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 15.41m
  • Ring Fit Adventure - 15.38m
  • Pokemon Legends: Arceus – 14.83m
  • Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 12.82m
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 11.38m
  • Splatoon 3 – 10.67m
  • Mario Party Superstars – 10.17m
  • Nintendo Switch Sports – 9.60m
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 6.46m
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League – 2.54m
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 – 1.86m
  • Fire Emblem Engage - 1.61m
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe - 1.46m
  • Metroid Prime Remastered - 1.09m
  • Bayonetta 3 - 1.07m

Total Software 1.03615 Billion

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

Updates to follow as more information is released.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 May 2023

Around the Network

Hardware shipment figures were about as expected. 15 million forecast for the fiscal year ending March 2024 is pretty good. That bring lifetime shipment figures to 140.62 million.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

If anyone is curious VGChartz has Switch sell-through at 3.21M for the quarter. This is about 140K above the shipment figure. I will wait to until tomorrow to do any adjustments. But if there are any we are talking 140K at most. It is 3am here, so I am off to bed. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Tbh the Switch sales numbers were a bit higher than anticipated for me. I was expecting the Switch to sell below 3M for the quarter considering the fact that the sales for the system have been declining noticeably quarter after quarter and Nintendo might have overstocked during the holiday season when they anticipated more demand. But reaching 3M is still good for a 6 year old console and I'm happy to see the Switch still maintain good sales.

A 15M forecast year seems pretty reasonable, however I'd lean more towards an even lower forecast like 13-14M, which is the average sales decline we'd see in consoles well past their prime. Nintendo also not being overly ambitious with their sales forecast makes me speculate that their likely won't be a new model this year that'll have a major impact in sales.

In terms of games, not really anything new when it comes to sales, the Nintendo evergreens are still selling like crazy, I still can't believe Mario Kart 8 still sold over 8Million in this past fiscal year alone, 6 years after release as the game looks like its far from ever getting saturated. When you combine MK8 on Wii U & Switch the game sold 62 Million units. I could definitely sew MK8 outselling the 3rd bestselling game Pubg which is at 75 Million Sold.

Metroid Prime remastered sold 1.09M, I wish Nintendo advertised it more to give it a fair chance to show its true sales potential however instead of a relatively silent shadow drop. But still good numbers.

With this quarter, the Switch officially becomes the first Nintendo console I'm history to sell 1 Billion units of software, impressive accomplishment. The Switch now joins the PS2,PS4, and Xbox 360 in the 1 Billion software sold club.

Software sales this past fiscal year were down 9% YoY, which is notable because software is the primary driver of Nintendo's profits, and the faster software sales go down the faster we're more likely to see the Switch successor in the future.

15m forecast puts both a new revision and a price cut out of the picture.

Shipments for this quarter look pretty close to VGC sales.

Around the Network

RFA is just casually in the top 10 with near 16m.

Regional YoY Q4 shipments

Japan .87m > .55m (-37%)
Americas 1.92m > 1.34m (-30%)
Europe .62m > .87m (+40%)
Others .71m > 0.30m (-58%)
Total 4.11m > 3.07m (-25%)

surprisingly Europe is up YoY, to save the quarter from being a complete fail compared with the year before. I suppose Nintendo found the markets to fill stock up to the brim in order to meet their twice revised down shipment forecast.

Again I find Nintendo's forecast as optimistic, but if they don't release any info about their next console it can be possible.

But again though, they just had a FY with hardware being down -22% and now they forecast another FY to be only -16.5%. What do they have planned?

Switch hitting a billion software sales while the Mario movie passes a billion at the box office. Nintendo must be feeling like a billion dollars right now.

Hardware is about what I expected, Prime Remastered is honestly lower than I thought, seemed like several non-Metroid fans had picked it up.
I remember when Rol made a thread for predicting Forgotten Land sales 7 mil+ was the highest option and now it seems all but guaranteed. We probably won't get any more updates on its sales until at least the holiday though.

15 mil forecast seems decent, I expect next quarter will at least be a bit bigger than this one with the Mario movie and Tears of the Kingdom getting people's eyes on Nintendo + the TotK OLED which could possibly sell half a million on its own (over the quarter) if they ship that much.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Farsala said:

Again I find Nintendo's forecast as optimistic, but if they don't release any info about their next console it can be possible.

Nintendo has really been pretty awful with their initial FY forecasts with the Switch. Covid year they massively underestimated but that's to be expected given the circumstances. The last 2 years in a row they forecasted higher then their actual results though.

Fiscal YearInitial ForecastResult
FY2321m17.97m
FY2225.5m23.06m
FY2119m28.83m
FY2018m21.03m
FY1920m16.95m
FY1810m15.05m

So it's not outside the realms of possibility that Switch actually does less than 15m, or more. But I think we can take the forecast as evidence that Nintendo doesn't have anything big planned this FY that will boost hardware like a new revision.

I am amazed by Pokémon Scarlet's figures

But a bit disappointed by Metroid Prime's