By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To March 31st 2023) Switch 125.62 million

curl-6 said:
AllfatherStarr said:

Metroid is like Bloodborne , as in the internet discourse around it would make you think its one of the bestsellers, but it has always been pretty much a passion project for Nintendo, as far as Return on Investment is concerned. 

I know it's relatively niche as a series, but still, given Dread managed nearly 3 million in it's first six months, I reckon Prime could've done better than this if they'd actually given it a marketing push.

Mind you, a million in less than two months is not bad, I just think it could've sold more.

Gonna get better with time in the end. We don't know yet how the title legs will affect it's lifetime sales so we'll have to see on the next report if the tactic of a surprise release was still the better choice. 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Monstrous sales for all these. Props to Ring Fit for being the best selling non-wii fitness game of all time, I didn't think those games could pull of those kinds of numbers.

Also...

Spoiler!
I'm so mad at the Pokemon numbers. Twice the price of the 3DS games for half the pokemon, half the features, paid online and blatant performance issues. And they are becoming the best selling games of the series. Goddammit, people, this is why things are not getting better...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Soundwave said:
PAOerfulone said:

1 billion software sales following $1 billion at the box office for the Mario movie. Nintendo sure has a lot to be happy about even w/ declining Switch sales.

It’ll probably be closer to 14 than 15 million this next FY, but they can still meet it. Having a great Q1 to jumpstart it thanks to TOTK will certainly help.
But it’s gonna need a strong holiday lineup, which, as of now, we have no idea what that’ll be.

Could be a bit less than 14 in all honesty, Furukawa saying 15 is a stretch is kind of funny actually. It isn't too often a company provides a sales target and then immediately cast doubt on their chances of hitting that, lol. 15 sounds like what they would get if everything goes right (probably won't), 14 more realistic, 13-13.5 probably not out of the question at all. 

This year was supposed to be 21 million and end up actually being 17.97. 

It will also depend on if they start to share any details on their successor at any point this FY. The majority of people who are buying the Switch at this point are consumers who already owned one the regular model, either launch or updated and so they traded it, sold it, or passed on to a friend or younger sibling and are looking to upgrade to the OLED since that is the model that is selling the most. But if Nintendo starts showing their hand a bit on their next-gen plans, a huge chunk of those people are going to withhold their OLED purchase and save up for a Switch 2 that'll most likely be just $50 more expensive, if not the same price, and most likely backwards compatible. 

Slownenberg said:
PAOerfulone said:

1 billion software sales following $1 billion at the box office for the Mario movie. Nintendo sure has a lot to be happy about even w/ declining Switch sales.

It’ll probably be closer to 14 than 15 million this next FY, but they can still meet it. Having a great Q1 to jumpstart it thanks to TOTK will certainly help.
But it’s gonna need a strong holiday lineup, which, as of now, we have no idea what that’ll be.

Hopefully they've got a 2D Mario for the holidays. We're of course still waiting for 2D Mario and a DK game on Switch, only gotten last gen ports so far. Those would be obvious choices and 2D Mario in particular would probably be a 20m seller.

But this late in the game I doubt any single piece of software would boost hardware that much. Only thing that would do that would be a price cut and it doesn't really seems like they're gonna do that. Sounds like Nintendo is just gonna let Switch fade without any actions to push sales further, and we'll probably be looking at a Switch 2 in maybe a bit over 12 months (maybe timed for when kids are getting out of school for summer break) or holiday 2024, though if they don't have any big games planned for next year I would assume a late Spring launch is more likely than waiting all the way until the holidays.

If they go a little bit over 14m this fiscal year that'll put it right at 140m to head into perhaps its final couple months before the successor comes out.

But yea besides the Switch coming near the end of its life cycle, this could still be a big year for Nintendo. They opened the Nintendo theme park in California earlier this year, you've got the Mario movie that'll probably make like $1.4 billion and probably end as the second largest animated movie in history, you've got Zelda coming out which is probably the most anticipated game the Switch has ever had and will almost certainly sell over 20m this year, and if they can close out the year with say a 2D Mario that would be a pretty great year for the company despite moving into the final 12 months of the Switch's life.

A new 2D Mario, a new DKC, and Prime 4 are pretty much the only major games left that have not appeared on Switch. I could see a new 2D Mario happening this year as the big holiday title to capitalize on the Mario movie hitting streaming, Blu-Ray/DVD, and cable & satellite. Maybe they even announce a new Donkey Kong game releasing next year to coincide w/ the announcement of a Donkey Kong movie by Illumination now in development and that could act as one of the last major swan songs for the Switch.

I think they are probably going to make Prime 4 a cross-gen release ala Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild to serve as the bridge while the new 3D Mario serves as the big flagship launch title.

Anybody know when the CESA White Paper drops so we get updates on all of them?

- Luigi's Mansion 3 has now outsold Super Mario Galaxy.

- Including the Wii U version, Mario Kart 8 has sold more units than the NES.

- There are now more Switches in the wild than there are people in Japan.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
Soundwave said:

Could be a bit less than 14 in all honesty, Furukawa saying 15 is a stretch is kind of funny actually. It isn't too often a company provides a sales target and then immediately cast doubt on their chances of hitting that, lol. 15 sounds like what they would get if everything goes right (probably won't), 14 more realistic, 13-13.5 probably not out of the question at all. 

This year was supposed to be 21 million and end up actually being 17.97. 

It will also depend on if they start to share any details on their successor at any point this FY. The majority of people who are buying the Switch at this point are consumers who already owned one the regular model, either launch or updated and so they traded it, sold it, or passed on to a friend or younger sibling and are looking to upgrade to the OLED since that is the model that is selling the most. But if Nintendo starts showing their hand a bit on their next-gen plans, a huge chunk of those people are going to withhold their OLED purchase and save up for a Switch 2 that'll most likely be just $50 more expensive, if not the same price, and most likely backwards compatible. 

Slownenberg said:

Hopefully they've got a 2D Mario for the holidays. We're of course still waiting for 2D Mario and a DK game on Switch, only gotten last gen ports so far. Those would be obvious choices and 2D Mario in particular would probably be a 20m seller.

But this late in the game I doubt any single piece of software would boost hardware that much. Only thing that would do that would be a price cut and it doesn't really seems like they're gonna do that. Sounds like Nintendo is just gonna let Switch fade without any actions to push sales further, and we'll probably be looking at a Switch 2 in maybe a bit over 12 months (maybe timed for when kids are getting out of school for summer break) or holiday 2024, though if they don't have any big games planned for next year I would assume a late Spring launch is more likely than waiting all the way until the holidays.

If they go a little bit over 14m this fiscal year that'll put it right at 140m to head into perhaps its final couple months before the successor comes out.

But yea besides the Switch coming near the end of its life cycle, this could still be a big year for Nintendo. They opened the Nintendo theme park in California earlier this year, you've got the Mario movie that'll probably make like $1.4 billion and probably end as the second largest animated movie in history, you've got Zelda coming out which is probably the most anticipated game the Switch has ever had and will almost certainly sell over 20m this year, and if they can close out the year with say a 2D Mario that would be a pretty great year for the company despite moving into the final 12 months of the Switch's life.

A new 2D Mario, a new DKC, and Prime 4 are pretty much the only major games left that have not appeared on Switch. I could see a new 2D Mario happening this year as the big holiday title to capitalize on the Mario movie hitting streaming, Blu-Ray/DVD, and cable & satellite. Maybe they even announce a new Donkey Kong game releasing next year to coincide w/ the announcement of a Donkey Kong movie by Illumination now in development and that could act as one of the last major swan songs for the Switch.

I think they are probably going to make Prime 4 a cross-gen release ala Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild to serve as the bridge while the new 3D Mario serves as the big flagship launch title.

Agreed on 2D Mario, new DK (I'd prefer not a DKC game, rather start a fresh new DK series), and Prime 4 are the most obvious big games yet to hit that will hopefully be coming. There are plenty more I woulda loved to see come to Switch but since it seems very likely we're close to entering the final 12 months of Switch's life I don't really expect to see more than that. Personally I would have liked to see Fzero, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, a new 2D Zelda, Galaxy 2 port, Prime 2 and 3 remasters (maybe those are still coming??), WW/TP HD, another Ring Fit, Mario & Luigi, a Wario platformer...that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

And yeah I think it is looking more likely that Prime 4 has been delayed so much and nothing has been shown on it because they moved it to being a launch title for Switch 2 and very likely cross gen. I could see 3D Mario and Prime 4 launching with Switch 2, and then a month or so later MK9 coming out similar to MK8D on Switch. Though I certainly hope considering it is a realistic art style that if it is cross gen they are building each version's graphics from the ground up so that Switch 2 Prime 4 wouldn't get dragged down by being made for the much less powerful Switch.

curl-6 said:

- Luigi's Mansion 3 has now outsold Super Mario Galaxy.

- Including the Wii U version, Mario Kart 8 has sold more units than the NES.

- There are now more Switches in the wild than there are people in Japan.

Those are all crazy. Luigi Mansion outselling Galaxy is nuts. Makes you realize just how much of the Wii audience were non-gamers that Galaxy only sold what like 12 million.

Slownenberg said:

Makes you realize just how much of the Wii audience were non-gamers that Galaxy only sold what like 12 million.

Eh not really, software sales don't scale linearly with install base. To compare with its contemporary, Galaxy sold more than any PS3 game not called Grand Theft Auto or COD.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 11 May 2023

curl-6 said:
Slownenberg said:

Makes you realize just how much of the Wii audience were non-gamers that Galaxy only sold what like 12 million.

Eh not really, software sales don't scale linearly with install base. To compare with its contemporary, Galaxy sold more than any PS3 game not called Grand Theft Auto or COD.

How not really? Galaxy was a critically acclaimed Mario game on a system that got to 100m and sold less than a side series like Luigi's Mansion on Switch. The fact that Odyssey is 2x Galaxy's sales and still selling further shows the point. And it's not like there's an argument that what I said isn't true haha, everyone knows a lot of the Wii audience were non-gamers. Galaxy's sales really makes that fact obvious, and Luigi's Mansions sales beating Galaxy's, and with plenty of time left to keep selling, just really drives home the fact that Wii's userbase was significantly non-gamers while Switch's userbase is a more traditional blend.

Slownenberg said:

How not really? Galaxy was a critically acclaimed Mario game on a system that got to 100m and sold less than a side series like Luigi's Mansion on Switch. The fact that Odyssey is 2x Galaxy's sales and still selling further shows the point. And it's not like there's an argument that what I said isn't true haha, everyone knows a lot of the Wii audience were non-gamers. Galaxy's sales really makes that fact obvious, and Luigi's Mansions sales beating Galaxy's, and with plenty of time left to keep selling, just really drives home the fact that Wii's userbase was significantly non-gamers while Switch's userbase is a more traditional blend.

You can't really draw a linear comparison because for one 10m back then was way higher a milestone back 16 years ago than it is now sure it's an exceptional mark now as well but only a select number of games would cross that mark back then as apparent in his point in that only COD and GTA could stand up to it on PS3, Galaxy's sales really do the opposite of what you're implying here tbh because the sales are in line with the 3D Mario series average. A lot of the sales increase for SMO can be attributed to Switch being present in two markets (Home and Portable) more so than what you're implying about the Wii's userbase.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 11 May 2023

The top two selling games on the platform are 4m away from a total of 100m sales by themselves.