By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The "consoles are dead" years were hilarious in retrospect

javi741 said:

Yea I remember how dumb alot of people looked in the early 2010s thinking that "consoles are gonna be a thing of the past and people will just game on mobile games". I would see even bigger gaming youtubers like Reviewtechusa make a video in 2013 saying that by the end of the 8th Generation consoles will be dead and people will just game on smartphones just cause he was playing a basic ass shooter from gameloft with bad touch controls on a mid range smartphone on the TV, here's a video of it right here and it's hilarious to see how poorly that take ended up being lmao: https://youtu.be/3i-OUoCOIn0

That's the biggest issue with opinions, they are often not a reflection of the ups and down of cyclic industries and often end up being wrong as they don't base it on tangible evidence.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
javi741 said:

Yea I remember how dumb alot of people looked in the early 2010s thinking that "consoles are gonna be a thing of the past and people will just game on mobile games". I would see even bigger gaming youtubers like Reviewtechusa make a video in 2013 saying that by the end of the 8th Generation consoles will be dead and people will just game on smartphones just cause he was playing a basic ass shooter from gameloft with bad touch controls on a mid range smartphone on the TV, here's a video of it right here and it's hilarious to see how poorly that take ended up being lmao: https://youtu.be/3i-OUoCOIn0

Ha, he even used as support for his argument that Michael Pachter agrees.  And without a touch of irony.

SKMBlake said:
gtotheunit91 said:

You're never going to see a Red Dead Redemption II on mobile. At least not this decade. 

Not even the first one though

Most phones (if not all) would be able to run Red Dead Redemption in terms of spec requirements. The issue would be that it's never been released on platforms other than the Xbox 360 and PS3. Even the Xbox One and Xbox Series are merely emulating a 360 version.

I have a feeling Rockstar will remake RDR one day, and it will be released on PC and consoles. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

I have a feeling Rockstar will remake RDR one day, and it will be released on PC and consoles. 

They reportedly cancelled it due to the poor reception of the GTA Trilogy 

For some, "what is a Switch" is a harder question to answer than "what is a woman".

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
javi741 said:

Ha, he even used as support for his argument that Michael Pachter agrees.  And without a touch of irony.

We can only be glad he's revelancy died after the start of the Switch-era proved him mostly wrong. Remember the time when we had news of his predictions on almost a weekly basis ? This was wild how people were getting fired up by something that had basically no substantial backing

SKMBlake said:
Wman1996 said:

They reportedly cancelled it due to the poor reception of the GTA Trilogy 

Oh wow, they did something sound for once. I mean it's clear that a "remaster" of RDR would've prolly employed the same team of development that was behind the dreadful massacre of the original trilogy 😅

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

javi741 said:

Ngl when I was first introduced to smartphone games at that time I thought there mightve been a possibility that they would eventually take over consoles, but then I quickly realized that there was little to no chance it would've after I started playing the games.
While it's true that smartphones can become quite powerful machines capable of running console like games, the biggest problem I had with mobile games is the dreaded and horrible touch controls, it's hard to play any serious or precise playing games with touch controls which was a huge turn off for me to ever believe that they could take over console games. While yes, I know that Bluetooth controllers exist that could connect to smartphones as well as ways to connect to the TV, but just connecting and buying a separate controller to play games on a smartphone was way more of a hassle for most of the general consumer base to care to buy and play on a controller for smartphone. Also it's good to mention that the online infrastructure for smartphone gaming is shit and alot of the games performance wise just can't compete with what's on consoles because smartphones with gaming will always be at a disadvantage even with great specs cause they won't have cooling fans so games can't run at full throttle, also games use only a small fraction of the full processing power on smartphones cause the smartphone OS utilizes so much of the processing power just for notifications and managing a ton of other background applications unlike a console which has a much simpler OS which allows games to use a much larger fraction of the processing power, and since mobile developers prioritize making their games compatible with as many smartphones as possible, they would purposely reduce the game's true performance potential just so it could be compatible with older smartphones.

And the performance gap between smartphones and consoles is still big enough to where people would still much rather play on console, which led to less developers making console like games on smartphones which led to a constant cycle that led the mobile looking less and less appealing with less major 3rd party games coming over.

Lol RTUSA has always been a dumbfuck. PC elitist with the most bog standard shit taste in games. He lacks any understanding of basically anything. Not to mention he was stupid enough to buy into the Amico scam. Anyone with half a brain saw through that shit day 1. Esp after Coleco Chameleon.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Pemalite said:

It's a mobile device. - The fact it can dock, doesn't change that fact.
My Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra has a dock and interfaces with my display, it's actually one of the benefits of USB-C.

In-fact if I go back to something like the old Lumia 950XL you had the Microsoft Display dock which turned the phone into essentially a PC using continuum.

Phones and Tablets have docks and predate the Switch's docking technology. - My tablet is always docked in the kitchen, it never leaves it, I use it for fire alerts.
But they are still mobile devices.

But what reinforces the Switch being a mobile device and not a home fixed console or even a hybrid is that, regardless that is has a touch display, mobile SoC, battery and can be taken outside of the home...

It is the Switch Lite. Which can't do any of that anyway,

I'm curious, to me this sound more like an argument against the possibility of a hybrid console than against the switch being one. 

Is it possible to imagine a hybrid console at all? How would a console work in order to be able to be called a hybrid console instead of a mobile one?

Pajderman said:
Pemalite said:

It's a mobile device. - The fact it can dock, doesn't change that fact.
My Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra has a dock and interfaces with my display, it's actually one of the benefits of USB-C.

In-fact if I go back to something like the old Lumia 950XL you had the Microsoft Display dock which turned the phone into essentially a PC using continuum.

Phones and Tablets have docks and predate the Switch's docking technology. - My tablet is always docked in the kitchen, it never leaves it, I use it for fire alerts.
But they are still mobile devices.

But what reinforces the Switch being a mobile device and not a home fixed console or even a hybrid is that, regardless that is has a touch display, mobile SoC, battery and can be taken outside of the home...

It is the Switch Lite. Which can't do any of that anyway,

I'm curious, to me this sound more like an argument against the possibility of a hybrid console than against the switch being one. 

Is it possible to imagine a hybrid console at all? How would a console work in order to be able to be called a hybrid console instead of a mobile one?

Well SEGA Nomad was a Genesis that could dock to the TV and be taken portable. So they crammed a console in a handheld. Played regular Genesis carts. So there is a hybrid around console hardware. In 1995 is was impressive even if the 32 bit era was about to kick off.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

The narrative was certainly imbecile, but the way I see Sony answer was risk mitigation. They didn't make mobile games or changed their focus on console (they double down on investing on their best games and increasing scope), but attached functionalities to the console that would use the smartphone (and mostly useless ones).
I do hope that even with the increase in revenue on mobile gaming Sony keep their core in consoles and for smartphones they either use the PS+ streaming features or make the MP/GAAS games playable there but keep making a lot of great SP for console.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."