By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So GTA V never came to the Switch...

Tagged games:

I don't care that it's not on Switch. It's the most overrated game of it's time, maybe of all time.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

I don't care that it's not on Switch. It's the most overrated game of it's time, maybe of all time.

I agree.

GoOnKid said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I agree.

Doesn't help that the in-game setting is a cesspool of assholes and none of the protagonists are likable.

Barozi said:
Soundwave said:

To be honest, that's honestly not too bad. Switch is almost the same as XBox, and XBox is heavily driven by 3rd parties and gets almost every major 3rd party game whereas Nintendo doesn't. 

That's still a sizable chunk of the market, Nintendo just needs to make it easier to port games if they can, that to me seems like the main hold up (it's not worth the squeeze). 

And the counter point too would be that the Nintendo 3rd party figure is held down because they often don't get a lot of the major 3rd party releases. If Resident Evil 4 Remake was on Switch for example (putting hardware limitations aside), I'd buy it, so would probably a lot of people. 

Those numbers are with Japan though where Xbox is almost non existent. Without Japan, those numbers would probably be closer to Xbox: 30%, PS: 55%, Nintendo: 15% (Guessed of course but obvious that PS and Nintendo would be down and Xbox up in return). Doesn't explain why major Japanese titles are skipping Switch (it's mostly for technical reasons as you already mentioned) but it's certainly a reason for major Western 3rd party games (hardware remains an issue of course).

Btw. RE4 Remake isn't available on Xbox One either. Smaller userbase than PS plus worse hardware.

It is on the Series S/X consoles though. 

If Nintendo got more 3rd party games their share would be bigger, if they could get a number similar to XBox with more titles, that would be a pretty decent chunk of the market for them. Japanese 3rd parties are important too. 

The hardware is the hiccup, it's not easy to create a platform that can bring ports of all major 3rd party titles when you can only go up to like 12-13 watts energy consumption. DLSS should help quite a bit though. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 26 March 2023

"It's because they don't bother" they did for L.A. Noire and GTA Trilogy

"They focus on the online" so is Fortnite, Overwatch and a lot of F2P games.

The only reason that would make sense is that they don't think there is a need for GTA V on the Switch.

And my belief is that they were waiting to see if the sales of the console would be great, and when they realized it was selling very well, it was already too late to start thinking about it (which is actually never too late but I am no executive at Rockstar - yet)

Around the Network
Farsala said:
GoOnKid said:

There are studios that exist just for ports. Rockstar could have easily outsourced the port if they really wanted to, but they don't care.

That budget could be used for other games to be ported though, rather than the 10 year old game.

Budget would be too small and the port would make its money back in no time, so this can't be the reason. There might just be some challenges regarding Nintendo's online structure vs how GTAV's online is implemented. Otherwise, it's gotta one of those annoying things that I can't make sense out of.

Soundwave said:
Zippy6 said:

Though the same can be said about hundreds of third party games. It would be interesting if we got more information from publishers on why they don't bother with the Switch. Is it because they think they can't sell on a console monopolised by Nintendo software, though that seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Is it because PlayStation/Xbox/PC is a lot easier to develop simultaneously for?

I'm sure there's several different reasons but case-by-case it's hard to rationalise why they wouldn't do something like a GTA V SP port. I'm surprised we never saw The Sims 4 for Switch also.

From Microsoft, they released this to CMA showing 2021 sales. Nintendo Platforms are only responsible for 18% of 3rd party unit sales while having a massive install-base. If it wasn't for a massive 3rd party exclusive like MHR launching in 2021 it'd probably be much worse.

To be honest, that's honestly not too bad. Switch is almost the same as XBox, and XBox is heavily driven by 3rd parties and gets almost every major 3rd party game whereas Nintendo doesn't. 

That's still a sizable chunk of the market, Nintendo just needs to make it easier to port games if they can, that to me seems like the main hold up (it's not worth the squeeze). 

And the counter point too would be that the Nintendo 3rd party figure is held down because they often don't get a lot of the major 3rd party releases. If Resident Evil 4 Remake was on Switch for example (putting hardware limitations aside), I'd buy it, so would probably a lot of people. 

If this really is unit sale based and not revenue based, then it's pretty bad. Because indies are included here (are they not?). Switch has thousands of cheap indie and smaller console exclusives, and many of them notable indie/smaller multiplats seemed to sell better on it than Playstation. More over, it has the biggest install base (maybe not user base?) by a notable margin and it dominates Japan. Don't forget that Xbox and Playstation are leagues ahead in subscription services/free games which aren't represented here.

Obviously, the lack of the many bigger 3rd party titles is why it's far behind Playstation, but I thought indies/low budget stuff and to a (much) lesser extent Japan would keep things a little closer. This is Microsoft's data though, so I don't know if it paints the whole picture or is accurate enough.

Soundwave said:
Barozi said:

Those numbers are with Japan though where Xbox is almost non existent. Without Japan, those numbers would probably be closer to Xbox: 30%, PS: 55%, Nintendo: 15% (Guessed of course but obvious that PS and Nintendo would be down and Xbox up in return). Doesn't explain why major Japanese titles are skipping Switch (it's mostly for technical reasons as you already mentioned) but it's certainly a reason for major Western 3rd party games (hardware remains an issue of course).

Btw. RE4 Remake isn't available on Xbox One either. Smaller userbase than PS plus worse hardware.

It is on the Series S/X consoles though. 

If Nintendo got more 3rd party games their share would be bigger, if they could get a number similar to XBox with more titles, that would be a pretty decent chunk of the market for them. Japanese 3rd parties are important too. 

The hardware is the hiccup, it's not easy to create a platform that can bring ports of all major 3rd party titles when you can only go up to like 12-13 watts energy consumption. DLSS should help quite a bit though. 

My only worry is that third parties may not still release big games on the next Nintendo console. After thousands of games on Switch, after selling probably a billion units of software on a console of over 120 million units sold, after some third party successes, I wouldn’t put it past third parties to sorta snuff the successor even with the rumored power and specs.

If the Switch successor gets games like:

- Elden Ring

- modern RE games

- modern FF games

- Street Fighter VI

- Tekken 8

- all the Kingdom Hearts games

- MHW 2 (if that’s real)

- etc.

..then I would be more comfortable seeing third parties perform on the successor. I was hoping for games like KoFXV, Soulcalibur VI, etc. to come to Switch, but they didn’t for one reason or another.

Instead, the Switch sorta had test games like USFII and other old, old ports and remasters. The Switch wouldn’t even get games like Persona 5 Royal, Nier Automata, Monster Hunter Rise, etc., until later into the Switch’s life.

And going by the OP topic at hand, even GTA V hasn’t come to Switch at this point and there are no signs of that changing. I can’t even think it’s more than possible to see GTAV on the upcoming Switch successor even with all that rumored power and specs.

Nintendo and the Switch had to fend for themselves for the most part alongside indies and a few nice smaller original titles like Octopath Traveler and Mario+Rabbids from 2017-2019 (even though games like NMH3, The Witcher 3, Trials of Mana remake, etc., were announced at E3 2019). Not saying it wasn’t justified initially, it is what it is.

Zippy6 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

But if that was the case, they would only have to release a single-player only version. They wouldn't have been the first company to do so. It would still sell millions.

Though the same can be said about hundreds of third party games. It would be interesting if we got more information from publishers on why they don't bother with the Switch. Is it because they think they can't sell on a console monopolised by Nintendo software, though that seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Is it because PlayStation/Xbox/PC is a lot easier to develop simultaneously for?

I'm sure there's several different reasons but case-by-case it's hard to rationalise why they wouldn't do something like a GTA V SP port. I'm surprised we never saw The Sims 4 for Switch also.

From Microsoft, they released this to CMA showing 2021 sales. Nintendo Platforms are only responsible for 18% of 3rd party unit sales while having a massive install-base. If it wasn't for a massive 3rd party exclusive like MHR launching in 2021 it'd probably be much worse.

What were prior years like?

Not yet. Just watch. It will get announced tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Not against it. But not really cared since the series and R* are so overrated. The so-called open-world games still force you to do missions in the order they tell you. Making the idea of a sandbox moot. They are still using PS2-era mission design and world design. BOTW is better for that reason. Do missions however you want in any order you want. True sandbox and play with the world's environment to have different effects and it's not tedious either about it. If you want your explore the city and cause havoc game on Switch. You have Saints Row and LA Noire plus a few more. So not like Switch needs GTAV nor does GTAV need Switch. There is no real technical reason it can't but I feel at this stage of the Switch. Not sure I see much point either.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!