By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo may soon be joining the rest of the industry by pricing at $70 according to Zelda eShop listing

To give you guys a bit of perspective, Nintendo games were about 200 BRL when Switch launched

Exchange rates are making them now 300 BRL. With a price hike they will be 350

Imagine games coming from 60 USD to 105 USD in 6 years, that's my situation now

I'm really holding off buying Switch games for months now. I've made PS4 (now PS5) my main platform anyway since Nintendo adjusted their prices in 2021, because with Playstation I can buy physical games used or just wait for some deep discounts after a couple of years, or even retailers sales. For Nintendo the discounts are more rare and take a while to happen.

I'm probably not going to get a Switch 2 at launch as I'm very well aware their games being 70 USD will be the norm, better to wait 3 years or so and try to get some used copies from grey market. Praying for no Animal Crossing coming until there though 

Around the Network

No worries, I can always wait for Nintendo games to go sale............

....................................................*dead

They (video game industry as a whole) can raise the prices all they want, I'll continue not to buy games at launch lol

SvennoJ said:
JackHandy said:

If true, it means since the PS1 era, I've witnessed games go up from $39.99 to $69.99. Crazy.

Actually PS1 releases varied between 40 and 50 dollars.
$39.99 in 1994 was $78.99 in 2022
$49.99 in 1994 was $98.72 in 2022

$70 N64 cartridges in 1998 were up to $125.68 in 2022

PS1 launched at $299, which was $590 in 2022

The average annual pay of all workers covered by State and Federal Unemployment Insurance (UI) programs was $26,939 in 1994
In 2022, Americans make an average of $53,924 a year

Not that crazy

It's crazy to me. I know inflation is a thing, but so is sticker shock. And when you live long enough, sooner or later, your perception gets all messed up and you start thinking things should be this price and that and you sort of forget about inflation. 

To me, console games should be fifty dollars, no more. I'm stuck in the PS2 era forever lol. 

JackHandy said:
SvennoJ said:

Actually PS1 releases varied between 40 and 50 dollars.
$39.99 in 1994 was $78.99 in 2022
$49.99 in 1994 was $98.72 in 2022

$70 N64 cartridges in 1998 were up to $125.68 in 2022

PS1 launched at $299, which was $590 in 2022

The average annual pay of all workers covered by State and Federal Unemployment Insurance (UI) programs was $26,939 in 1994
In 2022, Americans make an average of $53,924 a year

Not that crazy

It's crazy to me. I know inflation is a thing, but so is sticker shock. And when you live long enough, sooner or later, your perception gets all messed up and you start thinking things should be this price and that and you sort of forget about inflation. 

To me, console games should be fifty dollars, no more. I'm stuck in the PS2 era forever lol. 

I have sticker shock as well getting closer to 50. Even though I've lived through 3 currencies (guilder, euro, cad) messing up perception. For example soft serve cost 0.75 cents when I grew up (about $0.40 at 1980s conversion rate), nowadays I pay CAD 3.50 ($2.60 today)

Video games have been an exception, getting cheaper first then staying at the same price for a long time. (Well in most places, in Canada they went from CAD 60 to CAD 80 during last gen due to exchange rates, currently CAD 90 while FF15 is listed at CAD 93.50 already) Yet the growth has gone from console games, better margins on digital sales, DLC, MTX, season passes have been exhausted, thus inflation is now catching up.

But yeah I also started thinking some things should be a certain price, hence never going to the cinema anymore. I'm getting more hesitant to buy new games and buy more second hand games or on sale instead. I don't have an issue paying CAD 90 (CAD 102 after tax) for Zelda, as I know I'll play it for 100+ hours, as well as my wife and kids, yet smaller games and games I'm not sure about get the wait and see approach.

Oh well, it's still the cheapest hobby by far in price per hour of fun. And I still have a way to go before reaching a balance between buying more games and finishing what I already have lol.

Around the Network

Only thing I could see is if they are pricing it as though it's crossplatform. But considering we don't have any info on when the next Nintendo console will come out, it doesn't seem to hold much ground

Wow... such a jump in prices...

Switch!!!

Yep the page is live again for preorders now. $70.

Best Buy page for Zelda is Live

Yep, $70

But Pikmin 4 is at 60 bucks and Metroid Prime remastered is at 40(the digital version at least).
So where does that leave us ?

Welp, I think Nintendo is simply gonna get more flexible with it's price points depending on the games.
At least, for now

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909