By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo may soon be joining the rest of the industry by pricing at $70 according to Zelda eShop listing

I'm not shocked and likely won't change my purchase behavior.

Around the Network

MK8 for Switch 2 at $70 would be perfect profit for next gen.

Yearly $70 Call of Pokemon would also fit in well.

If they go from 70 to 80 euros retail price in Europe I will have to reconsider my purchase.

I am amused at how everyone has collectively forgotten that Breath of the Wild was also at that premium price point. Smash Ultimate costs that much as well.

Jules98 said:

I am amused at how everyone has collectively forgotten that Breath of the Wild was also at that premium price point. Smash Ultimate costs that much as well.

No it wasn't. Breath of the Wild launched at $60 on the eshop. You can see that in this article. https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/2/14789532/nintendo-switch-eshop-live-launch-lineup

Nintendo hasn't charged $70 for games before.

Now I'm not completely against a rise in prices for the games industry as there's no way it would be staying at $60 forever. Inflation etc. They can't just keep raising wages and paying more for everything else while keeping their end product the same price, other industries don't.

However it stings the most with Nintendo as they maintain their high prices, you're not going to be able to just wait a few months and get it cheaper. The next Pokémon being $70 will be amusing, if it is anything like S/V in terms of lack of polish.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:
Jules98 said:

No it wasn't. Breath of the Wild launched at $60 on the eshop. You can see that in this article. https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/2/14789532/nintendo-switch-eshop-live-launch-lineup

Now I'm not completely against a rise in prices for the games industry as there's no way it would be staying at $60 forever. Inflation etc. They can't just keep raising wages and paying more for everything else while keeping their end product the same price, other industries don't.

However it stings the most with Nintendo as they maintain their high prices, you're not going to be able to just wait a few months and get it cheaper. The next Pokémon being $70 will be amusing, if it is anything like S/V in terms of lack of polish.

I just looked it up and you're right. Nintendo has never used that price point before... in the US.

In Europe, the games I listed do use the premium price point, costing € 70 instead of the usual € 60.

Jules98 said:
Zippy6 said:

I just looked it up and you're right. Nintendo has never used that price point before... in the US.

In Europe, the games I listed do use the premium price point, costing € 70 instead of the usual € 60.

€70 has been the standard for $60 titles for a while. Most titles that launch at $70 are €80 so you can expect the price to most likely raise to this in Europe at the same time if this happens.

E.G forspoken was £65/$70/€80, deadspace remake on ps5/xsx is £70/$70/€80

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 08 February 2023

TheTitaniumNub said:

What are we paying 70 dollars for? 720p? Lmfaoo, what a joke. The real question for me though, will Pikmin 4 be the same? 

No, you’d be paying for an awesome game.

Zippy6 said:

Do keep in mind that the video game market is a massive one, Nintendo has been posting record sales in software... So that increased volume MORE than makes up for a lower price point.

So yes, they most certainly CAN increase wages and keep the price the same and still laugh all the way to the bank.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

If only our paychecks grew to match.