By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo may soon be joining the rest of the industry by pricing at $70 according to Zelda eShop listing

Fine by me. Nintendo games age well and they're the only games I replay.

Around the Network

I bet it was an accident. They already sell their games at $60 forever, I doubt they would raise the price.

Slownenberg said:

I bet it was an accident. They already sell their games at $60 forever, I doubt they would raise the price.

The price was also raised on the Canadian store so they'd have to have made the mistake for multiple regions if there isn't a price hike coming. We'll know after the direct tonight most likely though as I assume that is when the eshop page for preordering is meant to go live.

Well that sucks if true. Ill get Zelda and a few other franchises at that price, but Ill just wait for sales for most. People say Nintendo games never go down in price, but retailers have sales all the time and then theres Black Friday of course.

TheTitaniumNub said:
S.Peelman said:

No, you’d be paying for an awesome game.

Big doubt, I wasn't much of a fan of BoTW.

Well then you wouldn't, or at least shouldn't, buy it regardless, even if it was 4k.

Around the Network

It's ambiguous right now, and it's a bad idea. I know Wii U had $60 games, but that was a home console. Switch is a hybrid and should have more followed handheld game pricing over time. Most Switch games should've been $50, not $60. If Nintendo is charging $70 for a game when they're still on the highly outdated Switch, that's so ridiculous. They held off $60 games for about 7 years after Microsoft started. It would be so crappy to have $70 games less than 3 years after Sony and others started it.
Inflation is not a proper excuse. I know $70 for a Switch game is still a better deal than just about every N64 game and a lot of games in the past, but that's not a reason to shoot the price up to $70.
Tears of the Kingdom will not be a Day One purchase, or probably even Month One purchase for me if it's $70.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

The thing is I would pay $100 for a Zelda game, but I won't pay the current $60 for Mario sports titles so there is a 0% chance I would buy future Mario sports titles at $70. Shorter games like Yoshi and Kirby games are going to be harder to justify at that $70 price as well. Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart games I'm fine paying $70 for.

I'll buy it cause BoTW was excellent and the sequel looks to be even more ambitious but as they move more and more of their franchises to $70, I'll be less likely to buy games that aren't reviewed well.

I really hope Nintendo doesn't skip backwards compatibility with the Switch 2 though. It's unlikely they will but you can never truly know with console manufacturers.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

trunkswd said:

I figured Nintendo would do it at some point. But I was thinking they would wait until their next console. 

Would it be wise to do this at the beginning of a new and uncertain system, instead of at the end of an already successful platform? I hope they don't jack up the price, though, the Switch has already risen the costs of handheld gaming a ton as it is.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

JackHandy said:

If true, it means since the PS1 era, I've witnessed games go up from $39.99 to $69.99. Crazy.

Actually PS1 releases varied between 40 and 50 dollars.
$39.99 in 1994 was $78.99 in 2022
$49.99 in 1994 was $98.72 in 2022

$70 N64 cartridges in 1998 were up to $125.68 in 2022

PS1 launched at $299, which was $590 in 2022

The average annual pay of all workers covered by State and Federal Unemployment Insurance (UI) programs was $26,939 in 1994
In 2022, Americans make an average of $53,924 a year

Not that crazy