By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that feel the best to control

The connection between player and game is one of the most vital components of the medium. It's no exaggeration to say that controls can make or break a game.

Of all the games you've played, which felt the best to control?

Around the Network

Super Mario 64 was the first 3D game (non-FPS) that felt like it had fluid controls and Mario did what you wanted him to do. Compare to other games during that time and tank controls were fairly common. I'd say Nintendo is one of, if not, the best at fluid controls. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I've always been a fan of transitional controls with Nintendo.

For example jump from 2D to 3D with the N64, games like Mario and Golden Eye set new standards that others copied and improved on over the generations.

The jump to Wii motion controls had it's ups and downs, but when it was implemented right like Godfather, RE4, COD for example, it was was more enjoyable (well for me at least), then dual analogue sticks.

IR third person shooters on Wii (Godfather, Scarface, RE4)
Also, Switch Sports golf.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Super Mario Odyssey I'd say. Even with the added motion mechanics, Mario controlled like ace !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

- Metroid Dread
- Ori (both games)
- Hollow Knight
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Metroid Prime
- Super Mario 3D World (in fact, the whole series always have excellent and snappy controls)

Just to name a few.

Probably death stranding, mgs2. Followed by returnal, gow, little big planet, ghost of tsushima, dmc1

Metroid Prime: I rarely saw a 1st person with platforming elements that feel so natural easy to maneuver. When I’m jumping, I don’t have to think about where I’ll land, I KNOW where I’ll land.

Sekiro had combat that felt so great that after watching the first real trailer, I immediately said: this is going to be the best combat of all time. Now God of War 2018 and Ragnarök are also hot contenders. But I would say, since Sekiro asks way more from the player, the engagement is higher and the result (-how I actually play the game) is better. I felt like a shinobi god just fighting on top of Ashina castle for the first time. Let alone the fight against Isshin.

Doom Eternal, Returnal, God of War Ragnarok, & The Last of Us Part II.