By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unpopular games you feel are the Apex of a genre

The Ultima series. One of the main codifiers of the RPG genre, yet mostly forgotten today and alive only in the form of Ultima Online.

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:

The Ultima series. One of the main codifiers of the RPG genre, yet mostly forgotten today and alive only in the form of Ultima Online.

But it technically was hugely popular at some point.

Cuz technically any game that are simply old but were popular at some point could now qualify. 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Advanced V.G. 2 for PS1 is one of the best 2D fighting games I ever played. And only a few people know about it.

I really used to like the survival horror genre. I grew up on nightmare on elm street and Friday the 13th. But I wasn’t a PlayStation fan and so I missed a lot of games in the genre. When I finally played code Veronica I saw what people loved about survival horror. I couldn’t see tank controls as the best the genre could do. But I liked the jump out and scare you effect and the need to carefully use and save ammo.

When Ubisoft launched on the Wii U with Zombi U, I saw it as a revelation. Now granted I really hadn’t played many other survival horror games, but honestly, I could have but they all looked uninteresting to me. Even RE4 seemed too uninspired for me to buy it. But Zombi U had something’s going for it.

I liked how the sniper scope was on the pad with the gyroscope. Your inventory was always accessible but it was frightening to access it while in a fight. Killing a zombie felt intense the ways real fight feels, with aggression and yelling. Dying was more real because you became another prepper and stole the items from your previous corpses. All that combined with the level design that gave choice to the encounters and reasons to go back to previous areas made it the best in the genre for me.

I can’t play it anymore because it’s too traumatizing. I don’t know why I used to like it so much because now it so stressful to me. I don’t want that level of adrenaline on constantly. Was one hell of a scary ride though.

Mar1217 said:
SanAndreasX said:

But it technically was hugely popular at some point.

Cuz technically any game that are simply old but were popular at some point could now qualify. 

It was never hugely popular. It got some critical acclaim due to its art style and approach to gameplay, and a few small bursts of sales here and there with price reductions and the Steam and HD releases. The fourth game sold something like a million units across combined platforms. I think that, between multiple re-releases and price cuts, the first game might have made it to 2 million units sold since 2008. It certainly never did as well as Final Fantasy Tactics or Fire Emblem post-Awakening.

Around the Network

Homeworld

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa35jgzd44I

There is not a better Fire Fighting game than Burning Rangers on Saturn. It's SEGA arcade goodness in a console title with an amazing soundtrack.  Such a unique game. Yes for those wondering there has been a fair number of games where you fight fires. Not sure about recent years but in 32-bit era and PS2-Wii there were a few.

Metal Gear Rising is the best 3D Ninja Action game ever made. Even over Shinobi PS2 which is underrated and the Ninja Gaiden series or even Sekiro. The cutting of everything never gets old. Sure you fight demons in the others or a giant headless ape but the first boss in MGR is a Metal Gear Ray. The parry system is a fantastic addition to the already fun mechanics of the game. Add to the rocking soundtrack with tracks like It has to be this way or Rules of Nature.  NANOMACHINES SON!Oh and a Robot Dog.

Last edited by Leynos - on 15 January 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Even if a lot of my favorites from a genre is not the popular pick, most of them are at least well received games in their own right.

I guess the game that come closest is Donkey Konga, my favorite in the music game genre. The guitar hero games is just difficult for me on higher difficulties. The number of different combinations of multiple buttons feels to me like I need a second brain to keep track. Having just the two bongos and focusing on keeping the right rhythm is just enough game play for me to enjoy the music.

Other games have better music and some like Elite beat agents, my second best music game, even have compelling stories. But I just smile with joy when I feel like having a go in Donkey Konga. I wish I knew just what I like about it so much. Last time I played it I even felt like I needed to bump it up on my favorite games list. It is one of the games I spent the most time playing. When it released I basically just went to school and played the game. Beat my siblings playing with my feet while they played normally. Good times.

In the 32 bit era of games. Not a lot of side scrolling mech run n guns match Wolf Fang. Tho this is technically an arcade game from 1992. The Saturn/PS1 versions were enhance with some changes.

You can customize the mecha'ss body parts which is ambitious for a 2D game. Stuff like Armored Core was doing it but in 3D and as I said technically a game from 1992 so 5ish years before AC. 16 bit era had these a plenty but in the 32 bit era. Not as frequent. Not even Assault Suit Leynos 2 IMO holds a candle to Wolf Fang.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Pajderman said:

Even if a lot of my favorites from a genre is not the popular pick, most of them are at least well received games in their own right.

I guess the game that come closest is Donkey Konga, my favorite in the music game genre. The guitar hero games is just difficult for me on higher difficulties. The number of different combinations of multiple buttons feels to me like I need a second brain to keep track. Having just the two bongos and focusing on keeping the right rhythm is just enough game play for me to enjoy the music.

Other games have better music and some like Elite beat agents, my second best music game, even have compelling stories. But I just smile with joy when I feel like having a go in Donkey Konga. I wish I knew just what I like about it so much. Last time I played it I even felt like I needed to bump it up on my favorite games list. It is one of the games I spent the most time playing. When it released I basically just went to school and played the game. Beat my siblings playing with my feet while they played normally. Good times.

If you like rhythm games with simple controls, I recommend you to try the Rhythm Heaven series and the Taiko no Tatsujin games (although the later gets pretty crazy on higher difficulties). 

If you like Kingdom Hearts, Melody of Memory is very fun, not too hard and with a great musical selection. 

As for the topic... I don't think it's "The apex" of JRPGs, but Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is one of my favourite JRPGs ever. I enjoyed it even more than Persona 4 or 5. Sure, the story is simple and cliched, but it was serviceable enough and made up for it with a battle system that's the best I've experienced in a turn based JRPG, the soundtrack is godly and side content is much more manageable and fun to do. Also, unlike most people, I enjoyed the whole idol thematic. It's integrated perfectly into the story, the battles and the soundtrack to create a very unique JRPG. 

Last edited by Vodacixi - on 17 January 2023