By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unpopular games you feel are the Apex of a genre

Kakadu18 said:
Chrkeller said:

Fair enough.  I didn't recall LM on the gamecube being particularly popular nor were reviews amazing.  

3.33mil on the Gamecube. Fifth best selling game on the console. 78 metascore, much lower than the other two and definitely underrated, but still solid.

Personally wouldn't call it the apex of the action-adventure (or horror) genre though.

I would, which is kind of the point.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Kakadu18 said:

3.33mil on the Gamecube. Fifth best selling game on the console. 78 metascore, much lower than the other two and definitely underrated, but still solid.

Personally wouldn't call it the apex of the action-adventure (or horror) genre though.

So do you mean horror? Because looking at your top 50 games you have several Zelda games above Luigi's Mansion 3.

00Xander00 said:

CraZy PrEdiCtioN TiMe: I bet Metroid Prime 4 releases on a Friday in March 2024 along side the 'Switch Go'. Yes I bet the Switch 2 will be AR focused and called Switch Go and designed to get people up and out of the house, using AR and google maps interacting with other players like Pokemon Go. Nintendo are masters of 'indirect marketing' when people show off their (pokemon cards, Game Boy) to people outside (or indirect marketing to gusts who visit a household playing the Wii in their front room).
It would be cool if they also implemented pre-installed apps like an AR water-fight (or an AR light-gun-fight) in a park with other players.

Oh, boy, do I like this concept!

Kakadu18 said:
Chrkeller said:

So do you mean horror? Because looking at your top 50 games you have several Zelda games above Luigi's Mansion 3.

Hard to say if I am honest.  I think that is what makes LM special.  It doesn't fit in a standard genre.  I'm not sure what it is.  I view Zelda as adventure.  LM is more action/horror/puzzle.  I lean mostly towards puzzle than anything.  For me LM isn't the same genre as Zelda.  Granted Zelda is always puzzle heavy.  I find genres hard to define in modern gaming.  Pikmin is one of my favorites as well, again not sure what genre that is.  Resource management?

A lot of interesting games suggested in this thread like 'sacrifice' :)

I'll just add one that didnt sell, it's probably the most detailed and accurate sim of evolution, but with some really fascinating strategy gameplay

Evolution: The Game of Intelligent Life (1997) is a life simulation and real-time strategy game that allows players to experience, guide, and control evolution from an isometric view on either historical earth or on randomly generated worlds while racing against computer opponents to reach the top of the evolution chain, and gradually evolving the player's animals to reach the "grand goal of intelligent life"

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Kakadu18 said:

Hard to say if I am honest.  I think that is what makes LM special.  It doesn't fit in a standard genre.  I'm not sure what it is.  I view Zelda as adventure.  LM is more action/horror/puzzle.  I lean mostly towards puzzle than anything.  For me LM isn't the same genre as Zelda.  Granted Zelda is always puzzle heavy.  I find genres hard to define in modern gaming.  Pikmin is one of my favorites as well, again not sure what genre that is.  Resource management?

Pikmin is pretty well defined, RTS, real time strategy. Generally Zelda and LM are both considered Action-Adventure.

Omega Boost & Bulk Slash are probably the best 3D Mech action games I played in the 32 bit era. I know AC was born from that generation and honestly don't think they were that great until PS2 generation. Omega Boost on a pure technical level is above Bulk Slash. Both are great games of the era tho and while Bulk Slash does have a cult following. It now has a full english patch with voice acting. Me and one of the leads on that project follow one another on twitter. Had some fun BS streams. Omega Boost needs more love tho.

Last edited by Leynos - on 22 January 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Kakadu18 said:
Chrkeller said:

Pikmin is pretty well defined, RTS, real time strategy. Generally Zelda and LM are both considered Action-Adventure.

You realise you're arguing against opinions right? :P 

I definitely wouldn't put Zelda in the same genre as Luigi's Mansion, nor would I lump Pikmin into a general RTS genre. Both those games were pretty much unique when they came out.

As for the topic, difficult question, as the apex is a tall order for a hidden gem. Not sure if it would qualify, but for me, Celeste not only has great gameplay, but the way the story intertwines with the platforming is amazing. It was critically very wel received, but only sold roughly 1 million as far as I can find.

For an indie game. 1 million is a massive success plus won awards at the Game Awards.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

For an indie game. 1 million is a massive success plus won awards at the Game Awards.

Well, yeh, but but compared to some other platformers sales, it doesn't come close.