By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unpopular games you feel are the Apex of a genre

Simon’s Quest

Exploration without hand holding.

NPCs that will miss-guide you.

One of the first games with a meaningful day/night cycle.

Origin of the best songs in its franchise.

Multiple endings dpendant on your performance.

The game is popular one to get shit on for being to difficult and NPCs giving clues that end up to nothing along with clues that are useful. The only regular critisism that I find valid is the lengthy transition between day and night that compleatley breaks the pacing of the game.

This is the apex of metroidvania from before metroidvania was a thing.

I will always recoomend this game with the caveat that you should play it and stay away from looking things up online/in guides since that removes the entire point of the exploration and figurering things out aspect of the game.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

I always felt Luigi's Mansion, as a franchise, is grossly overlooked by many. Superb games, especially the Gamecube original. I love the franchise. Superb times.

All three games sold really well though. The third one is a huge seller.

Kakadu18 said:
Chrkeller said:

I always felt Luigi's Mansion, as a franchise, is grossly overlooked by many. Superb games, especially the Gamecube original. I love the franchise. Superb times.

Fair enough.  I didn't recall LM on the gamecube being particularly popular nor were reviews amazing.  

Farsala said:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX in the Strategy genre.

When it comes to Strategy, Romance is usually nowhere in the conversation. When it comes to best ROTK games, ROTK IX is usually nowhere in the conversation.

But honestly I loved it the most. The start is always brutal and barbarians take some tuning, but otherwise pretty much perfect. There are multiple avenues to victory but it all depends on your decisions and strategical ability to overcome larger countries. There are multiple scenarios and countless goals you can choose for yourself. I wish I could play it now, but I don't have it with me anymore.

It's available on Steam if you want to play it! It's ¥3,080, which is a bit pricey given its age and it's Japanese/Chinese only without a translation patch (although you've lived in Japan long enough that it should be ok!). Koei-Tecmo went through a period a couple years back where they released a couple of old games on Steam every month. A lot of the old ROTK and Nobunaga games are on there now.

I'll have to give it a try some day. Never played 9. It didn't release in Europe unfortunately so I've not had the chance before. 8 was still our newest one while Japan and the US were on 10 already! 8 was fantastic though, and our next one was 11 which was also great!

curl-6 said:

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is possibly the best rail shooter ever made.

It's stylish, packed with cool ideas and bursting with the kind of unhinged energy you'd expect from a Platinum game, runs at a blistering 60fps, and brilliantly showcases how transformative the Wiimote pointer was for shooting.
Unsurprisingly for such a niche title, hardly anyone played it, which is a damn shame.

It's prolly the most heartwrenched I've been thinking about games I wished I could've played.

Especially because I really like rail-shooters.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Kakadu18 said:

Fair enough.  I didn't recall LM on the gamecube being particularly popular nor were reviews amazing.  

3.33mil on the Gamecube. Fifth best selling game on the console. 78 metascore, much lower than the other two and definitely underrated, but still solid.

Personally wouldn't call it the apex of the action-adventure (or horror) genre though.

Freespace 2 is the best space combat sim ever made. It was critically acclaimed (91 on metacritic), but it sold less than 30,000 copies in its first three months on the market, so I suppose it fits the criteria.

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is possibly the best rail shooter ever made.

It's stylish, packed with cool ideas and bursting with the kind of unhinged energy you'd expect from a Platinum game, runs at a blistering 60fps, and brilliantly showcases how transformative the Wiimote pointer was for shooting.
Unsurprisingly for such a niche title, hardly anyone played it, which is a damn shame.

It's prolly the most heartwrenched I've been thinking about games I wished I could've played.

It's on Switch NSO Expansion. Any region.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Mar1217 said:

No it's not. There are no Wii games on NSO. The original is there, but not Star Successor.

Kakadu18 said:
Leynos said:

No it's not. There are no Wii games on NSO. The original is there, but not Star Successor.

I misread my bad. I missed the star successor part. Amazing game and agree. Needs an HD port.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!