By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 52, 2022 (19 Dec - 25 Dec)

Slownenberg said:

I think Switch will hit 4m again in 2023. Japan is Switch's strongest territory so even if sales drop say like 20% YoY globally to 16m, which would be 3.84m in Japan, I expect Japan will drop less so 4m feels right.

I expected the Switch to do 4m this year in 2022. It beat my prediction by 800k, and is rapidly reaching my lifetime prediction. Surprisingly there has been absolutely 0 rumblings about a successor. So I honestly would not be surprised if it does 4m in 2023 now.

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
Sogreblute said:

I still theorize some PS5 sales in Japan are using them for the free to play games. Right now 7/10 most played games for PS in Japan are free to play games. The 3 games that you pay for are FIFA 23, COD MW2, and Elden Ring.

So they buying a $500-$550 console just to play f2p games? Sure the majority of these f2p are also on the switch. My main game on ps5 is also f2p but I'm paying $20 a month for it since it launched 2 years ago. I also subscribe to ps plus extra and play alot of my ps4 games on it

I'm not saying that's all they're playing. I'm just saying that a lot of people will buy a console to play these popular free to play games. The casual crowd doesn't buy many games per year. 

Farsala said:
Slownenberg said:

I think Switch will hit 4m again in 2023. Japan is Switch's strongest territory so even if sales drop say like 20% YoY globally to 16m, which would be 3.84m in Japan, I expect Japan will drop less so 4m feels right.

I expected the Switch to do 4m this year in 2022. It beat my prediction by 800k, and is rapidly reaching my lifetime prediction. Surprisingly there has been absolutely 0 rumblings about a successor. So I honestly would not be surprised if it does 4m in 2023 now.

I think a lot of people act or were surprised for the performance, when usually a new version of a console bumps the sales for about a year. But going from 5.55m (2021) to 4m (2022) would mean the system dropped more than 25% YOY, never happening. 

Then, Nintendo released 3 Pokémon games, a Splatoon game (Huge in Japan), 2 Limited editions of the OLED versions (the only two atm), alongside many other first party/third party games released this year that sold extremely well.

Even tho, there is a a decrease of about 13% in sales YOY compared to 2021 (in Japan, WW will be a bigger drop),

It’s basically like the system reached a point in where the only case it can prevent a bigger decrease YOY in 2023 is to : 1) Decrease the price of the system (highly unlikely) or 2) release a new model (very unlikely).

There are high indications that a Switch could be released in 2024, still there are some people predicting 2025 and beyond. 

I love how VGchartz makes all these predictions about Nintendo and most of the time end up being wrong. 2023 will be interesting.

我是广州人

Ashadelo said:

I love how VGchartz makes all these predictions about Nintendo and most of the time end up being wrong. 2023 will be interesting.

Agreed, a lot of VGchartz predicts way too high for the Switch and end up being wrong. Still there are some good predictors out there.

2023 already has a nice slate of games expected like BOTW 2 and Fire Emblem. Personally I hope for a 2D Mario this year.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Ashadelo said:

Agreed, a lot of VGchartz predicts way too high for the Switch and end up being wrong.

I mean to be fair it goes both ways, we've had plenty of predictions that lowballed the Switch, to the point where "the cliff" has become a meme.

Farsala said:
Ashadelo said:

Agreed, a lot of VGchartz predicts way too high for the Switch and end up being wrong. Still there are some good predictors out there.

2023 already has a nice slate of games expected like BOTW 2 and Fire Emblem. Personally I hope for a 2D Mario this year.

Like, how much time has passed since we had a true 2D Mario game?

Super Mario Maker 2 doesn't count, and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe was a port.

Whatever happened to Metroid Prime?

我是广州人

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

Agreed, a lot of VGchartz predicts way too high for the Switch and end up being wrong.

I mean to be fair it goes both ways, we've had plenty of predictions that lowballed the Switch, to the point where "the cliff" has become a meme.

Yeah I wasn't being too serious.

I have seen both extremes.

I'm expecting the Switch to sell 3.5mil next year, maybe a bit less if the successor releases holiday 2023. I don't think there's a chance of it releasing any earlier than that.