By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 52, 2022 (19 Dec - 25 Dec)

PS5 game sales don't line up with console sales, I'm so curious as to what the Digital sales are. If only we could have digital weekly rankings.

Around the Network

I think Switch sales in 2023 will fall below 2019 in total sales, which is still not that bad and maybe close to what 3DS was able to sell in its best years.

4.8m for Switch in 2022 is above our average expectations going into the year, so that's a good result without a doubt. Momentum is still strong, although it's clear that another 4m+ year will only be possible with a hardware revision.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

I think Switch will hit 4m again in 2023. Japan is Switch's strongest territory so even if sales drop say like 20% YoY globally to 16m, which would be 3.84m in Japan, I expect Japan will drop less so 4m feels right.

Yea i think Switch will fall further in 2023 but honestly we never know with Nintendo. They could push it or let it die. So it will all come down to that.

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:

I am seeing a lot of comments and rumors online that the low numbers of Xbox these past few months is because Famitsu knows it overtracked the Series consoles and is moving closer to Mediacreate going forward.
Some are even implying there’s some saturation happening as the Series S has been in stock all last week in Japan.
Anyone seeing anything similar?

Lowkey been thinking this for a while

Korvo_Attano said:

PS5 game sales don't line up with console sales, I'm so curious as to what the Digital sales are. If only we could have digital weekly rankings.

I still theorize some PS5 sales in Japan are using them for the free to play games. Right now 7/10 most played games for PS in Japan are free to play games. The 3 games that you pay for are FIFA 23, COD MW2, and Elden Ring.

So 4.1m - 4m for Switch in 2023, looks like about that.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Sogreblute said:
Korvo_Attano said:

I still theorize some PS5 sales in Japan are using them for the free to play games. Right now 7/10 most played games for PS in Japan are free to play games. The 3 games that you pay for are FIFA 23, COD MW2, and Elden Ring.

So they buying a $500-$550 console just to play f2p games? Sure the majority of these f2p are also on the switch. My main game on ps5 is also f2p but I'm paying $20 a month for it since it launched 2 years ago. I also subscribe to ps plus extra and play alot of my ps4 games on it

If there's no new revision or successor in 2023, I expect Switch will be a little under 4m for the year in Japan.
At the age it is, and with so many people already having one, its only natural its pace will slow.