By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Scarlet and Violet Sales Top 10 Million Units Worldwide in 3 Days

Norion said:
Farsala said:

The power of digital!

You think digital is a notable factor in it happening?

Yes without digital, the retailers/ physical sales would only be slightly stronger in Japan. If a customer wanted a copy of the game day 1, they would often be SoL due to stock issues.

Now with digital becoming popular, customers can always get their game day 1.

Around the Network

Have to admit, I did pre-order the game, I have it sitting on my desk unopened... And I will absolutely be returning it and getting Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 on PS5 instead.

I think the refund rate will be high for this title... And there is a ton of negativity surrounding it currently, which may impact long-term sales or the next game, definitely won't pre-order Pokemon ever again, which was normally a "safe bet"on an expected degree of playability and known quality.

To think 2017's Breath of the Wild on Nintendo's previous generation hardware looks better, runs better... Heck even Pokemon Arceus looks and runs better than violet/scarlet.

What went wrong?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

tsogud said:

90's and early 00's 

I never understood how people make this mistake this often.

It's '90s and '00s, the ' here serves as a cutting point to 1990s and 2000s.

It you put it after the numbers, it would make it a genetive s, which doesn't make sense here 

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

tsogud said:

I simply disagree. Games like Pokken, Masters EX, Duel, Unite and Go show the target audience for the franchise shifts regularly and encompasses more age ranges. They're not just targeting children anymore like they exclusively did back in the 90's and 00's is all I'm saying. Whatever older fans think is irrelevant.

Again nothing about those games says shifting to older fans all it says is accommodating the same target audience in other parts of the market. Having some appeal with some older fans is not the same as primarily targeting them this is why Game Freak aren't moved by complaints and supposed boycotts because the people doing them have already been replaced by the time the appeal starts to fade for them. 

Farsala said:
Norion said:

You think digital is a notable factor in it happening?

Yes without digital, the retailers/ physical sales would only be slightly stronger in Japan. If a customer wanted a copy of the game day 1, they would often be SoL due to stock issues.

Now with digital becoming popular, customers can always get their game day 1.

Oh yeah I somehow didn't think of that aspect. I suppose it could get even higher overtime as the number of people who'd never get a digital copy even if there's no physical ones left declines.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Link to VGChartz article here.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet Sales Top 10 Million Units Worldwide in 3 Days

Nintendo and The Pokemon Company have announced Pokémon Scarlet and Violet have sold over 10 million units worldwide in three days. This includes 4.05 million units sold in Japan.

This has set a new record for Nintendo with the biggest launch ever for any game released on a Nintendo console.

"This is the highest number ever for global and domestic sales in the first three days after the release of software for all Nintendo game consoles, including Nintendo Switch," reads the press release.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet released for the Nintendo Switch on November 18.

I'm late to the celebration, But I gotta say a really buggy game can't be stopped starting to see patterns in sales like Cyberpunk and other buggy games with record breaking sales?

Pokemon will always sell shit tons of copies, that's why GameFreak/Nintendo don't need to put a lot of effort in the game

No game series that's 26 years old sells so consistently well. COD sells like crazy, but it's a lot newer.

The game seems to have a lot of compromises in performance, and hopefully they patch it.

Maybe Gen 10 of Pokemon on Switch 2 will have Wii U graphics at the rate it's currently going.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Change log doesn't really specify much. I guess we will need to wait several months before we see any real tangible improvements to performance and/or visuals.

I will re-buy it later in 2023... IF they fix the issues. - Might be cheaper by then.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--