By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Scarlet and Violet Sales Top 10 Million Units Worldwide in 3 Days

tsogud said:
Wyrdness said:

Their primary target always have been the younger audience from kids up to about mid teens. The rest of us are just a cherry on top as far as things go, look at who Corocoro the official Pokemon outlet mag is aimed at for reference. 

Eh, I think that was true in the late 90's and early 00's when Pokemon was trying to carve out a niche but I don't think the target audience of the franchise is largely based around that age anymore. As it has expanded to include gen Z in their early 20's as well as millennials that grew up with it being popular at the time they were kids. With the release of Pokemon Go and the Pokemon Let's Go series and even Arceus, it shows they definitely do target an older audience that might have not kept up with the franchise but are familiar with the brand. I'm pretty sure that's why they milk the Kanto and Johto regions so much. Even if you weren't a fan of Pokemon as a kid those mons are more recognized by the older crowd.

You also have to separate the mag's target audience from the developer's target audience. I'm sure Corocoro is targeted to younger readers.

No it's still very much the same now despite older fans clinging to the hope that it's no longer the case, the primary target always will be the younger audience they are the reason it's the biggest franchise older fans just think the is a shift to them when in actual fact the franchise is just adjusting to a more modern younger audience.

Nothing about LG or Arceus says older audience, LG is the for more casual audience while Arceus is a different take on the formula it no more targets older audience than 3d Mario does over 2d.

Around the Network

@SKMBlake Would love for MK8 DX to outsell Wii Sports, but I just don't see it happening. MK8 DX should definitely cross 50 million by the end of the year. Likely to hit 51 million and might even touch 52 million! Since though, another 30 million after that is probably too much. At most, I can see it reaching 75 million (and then adding in MK8 Wii U actually puts it above Wii Sports).

KLXVER said:
Vodacixi said:

Most people didn't know the game would release in such a poor state, so... TPC it is. They tricked people, they are well aware of the state the games and they haven't acknowledged the situation in any way or form. They are the bad guys in this story for sure. Lots of people buying your product doesn't erase your responsibility or derivate your blame on the matter to your customers and fans.

Well thats why we have reviewers. No company is going to advertise that their game is glitchy and buggy on the box. Its so easy to get information about games these days. Metacritic, youtube, twitter, gaming sites etc. So tricking people is pretty much impossible at this point.

The customer shouldn't be expected to do a fucking research job in order to find out if the next main Pokémon game is going to be a technical mess. It's the company who has the responsibility to deliver a functional product.

And maybe they can't trick us, the avid "gamers" who are constantly looking up info on their favourite hobby. But what about parents or grandparents, whose kids are the main bulk of those 10m sales? I doubt most of them know that Metacritic or game reviews are a thing.

Instead of telling people that they are a bunch of idiots for trusting that a shelved product of the biggest entertainment franchise ever should be in optimal conditions, maybe we should be calling out the multi-bilion dolar company who's responsible for the whole mess. 

Vodacixi said:
KLXVER said:

Well thats why we have reviewers. No company is going to advertise that their game is glitchy and buggy on the box. Its so easy to get information about games these days. Metacritic, youtube, twitter, gaming sites etc. So tricking people is pretty much impossible at this point.

The customer shouldn't be expected to do a fucking research job in order to find out if the next main Pokémon game is going to be a technical mess. It's the company who has the responsibility to deliver a functional product.

And maybe they can't trick us, the avid "gamers" who are constantly looking up info on their favourite hobby. But what about parents or grandparents, whose kids are the main bulk of those 10m sales? I doubt most of them know that Metacritic or game reviews are a thing.

Instead of telling people that they are a bunch of idiots for trusting that a shelved product of the biggest entertainment franchise ever should be in optimal conditions, maybe we should be calling out the multi-bilion dolar company who's responsible for the whole mess. 

Never said anyone was idiots. And please keep bringing up the poor innocent parent and grandparents. Its always a hoot.

ShadowLink93 said:

It's pretty nuts that the first 3 million and first 4 million launch happened just a couple months apart.

Around the Network

Looks like nothing will change for the next title...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Norion said:
ShadowLink93 said:

It's pretty nuts that the first 3 million and first 4 million launch happened just a couple months apart.

The power of digital!

tech issues bad mkay?
gameplay good mkay

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Farsala said:
Norion said:

The power of digital!

You think digital is a notable factor in it happening?

Wyrdness said:
tsogud said:

Eh, I think that was true in the late 90's and early 00's when Pokemon was trying to carve out a niche but I don't think the target audience of the franchise is largely based around that age anymore. As it has expanded to include gen Z in their early 20's as well as millennials that grew up with it being popular at the time they were kids. With the release of Pokemon Go and the Pokemon Let's Go series and even Arceus, it shows they definitely do target an older audience that might have not kept up with the franchise but are familiar with the brand. I'm pretty sure that's why they milk the Kanto and Johto regions so much. Even if you weren't a fan of Pokemon as a kid those mons are more recognized by the older crowd.

You also have to separate the mag's target audience from the developer's target audience. I'm sure Corocoro is targeted to younger readers.

No it's still very much the same now despite older fans clinging to the hope that it's no longer the case, the primary target always will be the younger audience they are the reason it's the biggest franchise older fans just think the is a shift to them when in actual fact the franchise is just adjusting to a more modern younger audience.

Nothing about LG or Arceus says older audience, LG is the for more casual audience while Arceus is a different take on the formula it no more targets older audience than 3d Mario does over 2d.

I simply disagree. Games like Pokken, Masters EX, Duel, Unite and Go show the target audience for the franchise shifts regularly and encompasses more age ranges. They're not just targeting children anymore like they exclusively did back in the 90's and 00's is all I'm saying. Whatever older fans think is irrelevant.

Last edited by tsogud - on 24 November 2022