By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Scarlet and Violet Sales Top 10 Million Units Worldwide in 3 Days

KLXVER said:
Vodacixi said:

Good for The Pokémon Company ("OMG, it prints money and we barely even spend any on it!"), bad for the players (rewarding a badly crafted game will encourage TPC to keep this line of work).

So who is really to blame here? The company or the people who keep buying them?

Both.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Can't wait to see how strong the hardware boost will be.

Signature goes here!

KLXVER said:
Vodacixi said:

Good for The Pokémon Company ("OMG, it prints money and we barely even spend any on it!"), bad for the players (rewarding a badly crafted game will encourage TPC to keep this line of work).

Most people didn't know the game would release in such a poor state, so... TPC it is. They tricked people, they are well aware of the state the games and they haven't acknowledged the situation in any way or form. They are the bad guys in this story for sure. Lots of people buying your product doesn't erase your responsibility or derivate your blame on the matter to your customers and fans.

Vodacixi said:
KLXVER said:

Most people didn't know the game would release in such a poor state, so... TPC it is. They tricked people, they are well aware of the state the games and they haven't acknowledged the situation in any way or form. They are the bad guys in this story for sure. Lots of people buying your product doesn't erase your responsibility or derivate your blame on the matter to your customers and fans.

Well thats why we have reviewers. No company is going to advertise that their game is glitchy and buggy on the box. Its so easy to get information about games these days. Metacritic, youtube, twitter, gaming sites etc. So tricking people is pretty much impossible at this point.

Pokémon S/V sold more than 240,000 units in Spain in its first week

Source: Vandal

Last edited by polofresco - on 24 November 2022

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
tsogud said:

What generations are their target audience?

Their primary target always have been the younger audience from kids up to about mid teens. The rest of us are just a cherry on top as far as things go, look at who Corocoro the official Pokemon outlet mag is aimed at for reference. 

Eh, I think that was true in the late 90's and early 00's when Pokemon was trying to carve out a niche but I don't think the target audience of the franchise is largely based around that age anymore. As it has expanded to include gen Z in their early 20's as well as millennials that grew up with it being popular at the time they were kids. With the release of Pokemon Go and the Pokemon Let's Go series and even Arceus, it shows they definitely do target an older audience that might have not kept up with the franchise but are familiar with the brand. I'm pretty sure that's why they milk the Kanto and Johto regions so much. Even if you weren't a fan of Pokemon as a kid those mons are more recognized by the older crowd.

You also have to separate the mag's target audience from the developer's target audience. I'm sure Corocoro is targeted to younger readers.

Last edited by tsogud - on 24 November 2022

Controversy seems to sell these games better than any ad campaign

PortisheadBiscuit said:

Controversy seems to sell these games better than any ad campaign

I have a feeling most of these copies sold were before the technical issues were known. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I’d be embarrassed if I was in charge of releasing this game. I don’t get how Gamefreak management is okay with releasing such crap.

And The Pokémon Company is a joint venture between Gamefreak, Creatures and Nintendo for anyone who doesn’t know. So no, it’s not TPC fault. There’s some other stuff going on behind the scenes that we aren’t aware of, but Gamefreak has more control than public eye seems to think.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Jumpin said:
Ljink96 said:

While this is an amazing accomplishment, you just wish the game had released in a much better state. They took the time to acknowledge how well it sold, but haven't acknowledged the game's performance issues and what they are doing to remedy the issues?

These companies don't care about you, they just want your money. And they'll happily take it if you give it to them. They don't care if you're none the wiser. I guess I'm part of the problem too but I guess I wanted to try it out for myself. 

Hopefully there is a patch planned and in the works. I'm having fun myself when the game isn't glitching and running like piss, but I'm glad people are finding joy with the game. I just wish they had released a much more solid product.

There really is no reason to announce patch plans during a sales report. Unless previous Pokémon games had no bug fixes because of good sales, then it’s irrational to think that good sales = a chance of no bug fixes because Nintendo doesn’t care about you since they already sold the game.

I didn't say they had to announce plans during the report or in the report. But they could have acknowledged it in a different PR statement at least. Nor did I say good sales mean they won't patch the game. You took what I said and made an entirely new word salad...