By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:

Nintendo is suing PocketPair.

Not for copyright infringement though (designs) but for patent infringement (mechanics). What a plot twist, I was sure they wouldn't because the assumption was that a lawsuit on designs would be a high bar, but I never considered they would angle on patent infringement instead, nor did any of the lawyers I listened to, Lol. Everyone ends up being wrong.

Well, I suppose it's a good thing that Microsoft didn't get too deeply involved with them, Lol.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

I'm not a fan of patenting gameplay mechanics, I've always leaned more towards Josh Sawyer and Raphael's stances on this matter. We'll see what exactly the patents are eventually but I feel like almost all gameplay related patents are just complete nonsense, money grabbing which hinder progress in videogames development and some are straight up ridiculous to be able to patent in the first place.

Honestly would have rather they went after them for copyright infringement than this patent bollocks but patent lawsuits are a lot easier.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - 15 hours ago

Ryuu96 said:

Nintendo is suing PocketPair.

Not for copyright infringement though (designs) but for patent infringement (mechanics). What a plot twist, I was sure they wouldn't because the assumption was that a lawsuit on designs would be a high bar, but I never considered they would angle on patent infringement instead, nor did any of the lawyers I listened to, Lol. Everyone ends up being wrong.

Well, I suppose it's a good thing that Microsoft didn't get too deeply involved with them, Lol.

I doubt they have much of a case since they are going for game mechanics instead of the creature designs. Nintendo probably can't get away with saying they are the only ones who can make a game where you catch creatures in a ball (especially since they have allowed smaller Pokemon-like games to do it in the past), and they definitely can't get away with patenting the battle system mechanics since it would conflict with numerous other RPG's, and the rest of the gameplay is pure survival and nothing like Pokemon. Nintendo might have had something if they went after them for artistic reasons since some of the creature designs are ridiculously similar to Pokemon designs, but a gameplay design based case seems even less likely to go in Nintendo's favor imo.

I hope it blows up in their face and we finally have a legal precedent case to protect against gameplay patents in the future, so that things like the Nemesis system can be used by non-WB games. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - 11 hours ago

Damn, hope none of the three made a knee jerk reaction of going into business with the company … 👀

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Ryuu96 said:

How shocking that having a random ass exclusivity strategy would backfire.

• Here's some FFs, Xbox.
  • Here's some FFs, PlayStation.
  • Here's some FFs, Nintendo.
  • Here's some FFs, Epic Game Store.
  • Here's some FFs, Steam.

Final Fantasy ain't an IP that should be restricted, it should be released day one on Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, Steam.

Square was like: "Why hasn't FF sold millions on Xbox?!" After only starting to port them 13 entries in and trying for 2 mainline entries before giving up for the bag of cash offered by Sony, Lol. Tbh as well, FF13/FF15 didn't even sell that badly on Xbox, 1-2m units is fine for a single platform port and for an IP like Final Fantasy but Square couldn't be bothered to continue to build on the fanbase.

Square Enix deserves all this.

Final Fantasy shouldnt be exclusive to one platform - it should be multiplatform in this day and age.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

I'm not a fan of patenting gameplay mechanics, I've always leaned more towards Josh Sawyer and Raphael's stances on this matter. We'll see what exactly the patents are eventually but I feel like almost all gameplay related patents are just complete nonsense, money grabbing which hinder progress in videogames development and some are straight up ridiculous to be able to patent in the first place.

Honestly would have rather they went after them for copyright infringement than this patent bollocks but patent lawsuits are a lot easier.

Yeah, especially software patents are really a hindrance for innovation, as you move into a minefield with anything new. The worst part is: big companies usually cross-licence to each other, as they cannot do anything without infringing the patents of the others. But there are dedicated companies that don't make products, only acquire patents and file suits for them. These companies are called patent trolls. The cross licencing scheme doesn't work here, as they don't create anything and therefore cannot infringe any rights. But everyone else can get in their crosshairs. So software patents really have to die.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

BasilZero said:
Ryuu96 said:

How shocking that having a random ass exclusivity strategy would backfire.

• Here's some FFs, Xbox.
  • Here's some FFs, PlayStation.
  • Here's some FFs, Nintendo.
  • Here's some FFs, Epic Game Store.
  • Here's some FFs, Steam.

Final Fantasy ain't an IP that should be restricted, it should be released day one on Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, Steam.

Square was like: "Why hasn't FF sold millions on Xbox?!" After only starting to port them 13 entries in and trying for 2 mainline entries before giving up for the bag of cash offered by Sony, Lol. Tbh as well, FF13/FF15 didn't even sell that badly on Xbox, 1-2m units is fine for a single platform port and for an IP like Final Fantasy but Square couldn't be bothered to continue to build on the fanbase.

Final Fantasy shouldnt be exclusive to one platform - it should be multiplatform in this day and age.

Ideally yeah but don't know if it would made more money if it was multiplatform, FFXVI numbers aren't that great on steam (yet maybe) and exclusivity can sell a game aswell..

I also find it kind of Ironic to read about building a fanbase in the XBOX thread, if their is something that Xbox isn't doing then it is building a fanbase...

konnichiwa said:
BasilZero said:

Ideally yeah but don't know if it would made more money if it was multiplatform, FFXVI numbers aren't that great on steam (yet maybe) and exclusivity can sell a game aswell..

I also find it kind of Ironic to read about building a fanbase in the XBOX thread, if their is something that Xbox isn't doing then it is building a fanbase...

Maybe you shouldn't release a game a year or so later on Steam for a higher price as you get the PS version for now and wonder why it doesn't sell that great on Steam which is normally cheaper than PS? How about you release the game the same day to see how good it sells? FFXVI is "old" now and nothing people are hyped for. How is this supposed to sell millions on Steam when nobody is talking about it anymore?

And you definitely won't build a fanbase on any platform with such half assed releases of your franchises outside Playstation. 

Ryuu96 said:

I wonder if all the people who called Microsoft clueless dumbasses for not putting a ring on their finger are going to apologize. They will probably pretend they don't remember saying it or even deny saying it. 

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.