By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Discussion Thread – The 13th Annual Greatest Games Event

Mnementh said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Alright better leave some new hints as well so I don't fall behind:

30) 264 floors

29) In a way this game's world is comprised of sounds

28) Few games have as many "endings" as this, though to be fair the game doesn't actually end after some of them.

27) Reaching for the moon

26) Several lines from this game are permanently ingrained in my brain:
"My old enemy..."
"I've been thinking-" "Don't hurt yourself."
"I. Am. DYING."

#26: Sounds like Portal.

Interesting guess, but no it's actually a pretty different game.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

Another top 10 favorite games write-up ahead.

10. Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
9. Perfect Tides
8. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
7. Chop Suey
6. Knights and Bikes
5. Super Metroid
4. Gone Home
2. The Last of Us Part I
1. The Last of Us Part II

3. BUTTERFLY SOUP

Sorry to change up the approach to banners here, but (likely owing to its considerable obscurity) Butterfly Soup proved to be the most banner-hostile entry on my list when I searched for title screen images to use. I opted for this stylization because I feel it better reflects the vibe of the game than the official title screen art does.

Anyway, Butterfly Soup is a very humble game. It was created by one person, Brianna Lei, who offers it for free here. (I recommend you be polite and voluntarily pay her something for it though because she's earned it.) It's not available on Steam. It's a pretty linear visual novel, so don't expect a lot of interactivity either. Player actions exist simply to keep you attentive and involved and add to your perspective on the lives of the game's characters, not to offer up multiple endgame scenarios or serious customizability. Why in the fucking hell would I rank something created on a shoestring budget that's designed in such a straightforward way that does almost nothing to take advantage of the greatest strength of gaming as a medium (interactivity) my third-favorite gaming experience of all time? Because it's the best visual novel title I've ever played before! And while it's greatest strengths aren't medium-specific, the existence of interactive elements does enhance the experience.

Where Butterfly Soup succeeds the most is in its writing. Which is a damn good strength for a visual novel to have!! It's kinda the whole ball game really, so to speak. Writing quality makes or breaks entries in this particular genre by definition. The landslide success thereof here with me is owed to its story structure. You proceed through key life experiences of four gay, Asian-American teenage girls living in Freemont, California, first as their elementary school selves, then as their current 9th-grader selves in 2008. First you'll see life through the eyes of Diya, a paralyzingly shy jock type of Tamil descent (I'm mentioning their ancestries here because it's relevant to their narratives); then as her over-achieving, Chinese-American best friend Noelle; third as the Indian-American class clown type, Akarsha; and finally as the Korean-American, highly assertive delinquent type, Min-seo (or Min for short). You're not re-experiencing the same events several times through different eyes though. Instead, events in the main narrative keep progressing forward in chapters, with each new perspective adding more dynamism to all the other character arcs and fresh context for previous scenes that enrich the player's understanding thereof through the steady addition of more layers. It works brilliantly!

Enough about the design though because what you're really here for is the story itself. Yes, as you may have guessed, this is a yuri novel. The best yuri novel I've ever played. The dif? This one was created by an actual Asian-American lesbian whose characters are inspired by people she has actually met and known. To these ends, you won't be surprised to learn that there are none of the tired fetish elements this genre is frankly best known for here. But neither is there the same tone that the aforementioned Gone Home features. Butterfly Soup's vibe is mainly positive and upbeat! Which is...you know, not the rule when it comes to lesbian period pieces in any medium. Make no mistake: the game is not only completely, brutally honest about the struggles its leading young ladies are navigating, but genuinely enlightening thereabout. Those struggles range, in various cases, from period-specific varieties of homophobia (like the whole battle over California's Proposition 8 banning same-sex marriage the same year that the same electorate voted in Obama) to the sort of cultural expectations that commonly get placed on Asian-American kids, especially from immigrant families (like the concept of "Asian failing", which means scoring less than a 90% on something) to racist experiences to the idiotic cultural double-standards that are often placed on girls to straight-up child abuse. But where other lesbian period pieces might get bogged down in these troubles, Butterfly Soup puts them in perspective and revolves centrally instead around moments of camaraderie through sport, growth, love, and humor...lots and lots of humor, in fact!...that outweigh these problems for our protagonists. I can't help wishing that more stories about lesbian characters chose to emphasize things like humor, hope, and happiness over pain and narrowly avoiding suicide sometimes. It just gets depressing.

Speaking of humor, if you could classify Butterfly Soup as a kind of romantic comedy, then it's primarily comedy and secondarily a romance. And it's the flat-out funniest game I've ever played, no exaggeration! You will laugh. Out loud. A lot.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 14 January 2023

eyy we're back

mZuzek said:

eyy we're back

Yes! We are back! 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Gonna start making up for the time lost, here's three hints. All pretty easy I think.

Around the Network

Oh lol. Will update my 2 or 3 Im behind on tomorrow lol

mZuzek said:

Gonna start making up for the time lost, here's three hints. All pretty easy I think.

26 - Ocarina of Time

So, now I am behind again. Let's hand out a new batch of hints:

#29: guessed by UnderwaterFunktown: Persona Q

#28: guessed by UnderwaterFunktown: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Silver haired girl.
The Dawn Brigade rebels against the occupation by the Begnion Empire.
Although generally in a long running series, it is the direct sequel of the previous game that was on the console before.
Grow your army from mission to mission.
The last time the series was on home console until 2019.

#27: Meet a talking skull.
Also meet a talking zombie, chained to the wall in the dungeon.

#26: Just get up the hill, to have phone reception for an important call.

ranking in the guessing game, list so far

Last edited by Mnementh - on 06 December 2022

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

So, now I am behind again. Let's hand out a new batch of hints:

#29: guessed by UnderwaterFunktown: Persona Q

#28: Silver haired girl.
The Dawn Brigade rebels against the occupation by the Begnion Empire.
Although generally in a long running series, it is the direct sequel of the previous game that was on the console before.
Grow your army from mission to mission.
The last time the series was on home console until 2019.

#27: Meet a talking skull.
Also meet a talking zombie, chained to the wall in the dungeon.

#26: Just get up the hill, to have phone reception for an important call.

ranking in the guessing game, list so far

28) A Fire Emblem I assume. Radiant Dawn?

Alright, gonna try to make these easy to make up for lost time.

30) 264 floors
Hint 2: In the tower that you climb at night in this PS2 JRPG.

29) In a way this game's world is comprised of sounds
Hint 2: Since according to the lore the world of this other PS2 JRPG is made up of vibrations of energy that emit sound. It has only been ported once since, to the 3DS.

27) Reaching for the moon
Hint 2: Or at least that's where you end up. You also collect a lot of smaller moons along the way.

26) Several lines from this game are permanently ingrained in my brain:
"My old enemy..."
"I've been thinking-" "Don't hurt yourself."
"I. Am. DYING."
Hint 2: "You thought you were so clever... that you'd outwitted us all."
"That's how we do it in Kingsport!"
"The kingdoms of the worlds shall bow to the might off... THE LORD OF GOATS!"