By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Discussion Thread – The 13th Annual Greatest Games Event

As of today December 2nd:

PositionGameLast year comparison 2021Ups/downYear 
29Metal gear solid 4: Guns of the patriots (PS3)   Previous No. 22↓7 down2008
30Psychonauts 2 (PS4) Previous No. 26 ↓4 down2021
31The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past (SNES) Previous No. 25 ↓6 down1992
32Resident Evil 2 Remake (PS4)Previous No. 47 ↑ 15 Up2019Biggest winner
33Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)  Previous No. 27 ↓6 down1999
34Ratchet and Clank: A crack in time (PS3)NEW 2009NEW
35Tales of Symphonia (NGC)  Previous No. 31 ↓4 down2003
36Batman: Arkham City (PS3)  Previous No. 32 ↓4 down2011
37Braid (Xbox360)  Previous No. 33 ↓4 down2008
38Jet Grind Radio (Sega DC) Previous No. 37 ↓1 down2000Minor fall 
39Resident Evil Code Veronica (Sega DC) Previous No. 38 ↓1 down2000Minor fall 
40Diddy Kong Racing (N64)Previous No. 39↓1 down1997Minor fall 
41Vanquish (PS3) Previous No. 40 ↓1 down2010Minor fall 
42Dead Space (Xbox360) Previous No. 41 ↓1 down2008Minor fall 
43Bioshock (Xbox 360) Previous No. 43 = same-2007
44Katamari Damacy (PS2) Previous No. 50 ↑ 6 Up2004
45Halo: 2 (Xbox) Previous No. 35 ↓10 down2004
46Sonic Adventure (Sega DC) Previous No. 36 ↓10 down1998
47Paper Mario 2: A thousand year-door (NGC) Previous No. 34↓13 down2004Biggest fall
48Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (GC) Previous No. 44↓4 down2002
49Street fighter II (Arcade) Previous No. 45↓4 down1991
50Super Smash bros Ultimate (NS)Previous No. 48 ↓2 down2018

Around the Network

Unguessed

This is a game that can take up a whole year, per 'game'. In fact, I don't think I ever actually completed a full campaign in Medieval II: Total War. There is so much that can happen; conquer Europe, get entangled in wars against the hordes of the steppe or discover the New World and battle the Aztecs. Meanwhile, if you're a Christian faction, you'll have to deal with the politics of the Pope and avoid the Papal Inquisitors that are out to try your generals. I often took a lot of time on a single turn once I got a bit further into a game, even up to half an hour. When a campaign takes about 250 turns, that's a lot of time. Might as well actually have taken from 1080 to 1530.

Unguessed

I didn't notice these two games were side-by-side in my list until now, but on second thought, it is true that Medieval II and its predecessor Rome: Total War are basically just as good. Rome introduced me to the series, of which I'm also a big fan of Empire and Rome's sequel, so it at least has that. But, Rome also has the extra depth of the noble families. We're all Romans, but hey, only one Roman can be the most glorious one, so at some point they'll have to go. This game is a bit more straightforward than its successor, because as Rome, you'll just have to conquer the world. It might be a slow start, but at one point, you'll become so powerful with your Legionnaires, that no one will stop you. At least this game won't take as long then.

Unguessed

Motocross Madness is a bit of a guilty pleasure. Is this game good? Probably quite average. As a racing game? Pretty basic. It is fun however. And the best thing about that is, is that I'm pretty sure the amount of laughs and silly antics in this game was probably not really the intent. The game's presentation is fairly serious at least. It has realistic graphics, flashy menu screens and cool bike sounds. But in reality, the way the riders crash and how they'll stumble over obstacles is hilarious. And then there's the stunt mode, which is a big open landscape. There are big cliffs surrounding it to keep you in the gameplay area, but with the right speed and the right angle you can get up there. Then though, instead of going out of bounds, you'll get blasted away as if shot from a canon, all across the map. Who programmed that?!

Guessed by @Ultrashroomz

This is actually one of the hardest games to rank at this point. The fact that it's a multiplayer game in a list mostly comprised of single player experiences doesn't help much to begin with, but also how it has a sequel which is quite objectively a better game in most areas but I like less for specific reasons - making this a game that shows up here less so because of its inherent quality, and moreso because of the memories I made with it, but these memories are being left farther and farther in the past. So yeah, it's a strange one.

Still, it should always be around, because if only for four years, Smash 4 was my life. It was my friends, it was my travels, it was everything. Thanks to this game I got to know a lot of really cool people, some cool places, and even in non-Smash related trips, I could always look up a Smash community wherever I was and it'd often turn out a fun afternoon at a tournament somewhere. Heck, I still do that. Most of the people I talk to nowadays I met through Smash, many of my best friends I met because of Smash, so yeah, I owe this game a lot. Granted, Ultimate has left a lot of it in the past, and in the years since, many of those friendships I made have been broken, which sours it all, but even if someday I end up losing all the friends I made through this game, I'm still gonna cherish it for how much it shaped those 4 years of my life. It was great times.

And to end this on a nostalgic vibe, I'll leave you with one of my cooler sets against Kubas (these MK vs. Mewtwo games were a staple around here).

Top 50 >>

#36 (incorrect guesses - A Short Hike)
- Do you want to go hiking or mountain climbing?
- I killed him earlier, why’s he still on the floor? Oh well, I’ll walk past and… no, wait, he’s alive, and more deadly than before.
- Opening that door is a riskier move this time around.

#35 - guessed correctly - Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
- If you rest long enough in a certain place on that train ride, you will get a nasty surprise.
- The Switch version of this popular crowdfunded game got off to a rough start.
- It's pretty much an entry in a popular series in all but name. No surprise given who was at the helm.

- The guy who dies shortly after you arrive on location shares his name with a guy who suffers a similar fate in a movie franchise that no doubt influenced this game.
- Whether you get more puzzles or more combat depends on which team mate you choose to follow at certain points.
- Made in the same mould as another, more popular series from the same developer. Although this game utilises 3D environments, which the other series hadn't done at this point.

- Smelling of urine isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
- And looking at the guard’s butts can be advantageous at one point too.
- You could run into issues early on if you haven't got the case.

#32 - guessed correctly - Goldeneye 007
- That damned doctor can make or break a run for a frustrating unlockable.
- No doubt countless arguments broke out because someone decided to be the little guy.
- There's two levels that aren't tied directly to the source material, but certainly make sense as a bonus.

- Now you have to collect stat points and equipment upgrades, rather than finding / earning the money to do so.
- Features the first appearance in the series of a person better known for featuring on a stunt / prank show.

- Features a soundtrack of original songs from fictional bands, that was also available on a separate CD.

- This game was named differently depending on the region of release. The recent re-release combined these two names in a way that is pretty clever when you think about it

My list so far

Last edited by drbunnig - on 03 December 2022

drbunnig said:

- If you rest long enough in a certain place on that train ride, you will get a nasty surprise.
- It's pretty much an entry in a popular series in all but name. No surprise given who was at the helm.

- No doubt countless arguments broke out because someone decided to be the little guy.
- There's two levels that aren't tied directly to the source material, but certainly make sense as a bonus.

35: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night?

32: Goldeney 007

Around the Network
Darashiva said:
drbunnig said:

35: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night?

32: Goldeney 007

Yes to both.

Goldeneye clues refer to Dr Doak in Facility when trying to unlock the invincibility cheat... what an absolute nightmare that was as a kid (never did manage it). Second clue refers to Oddjob in multiplayer (this happened a lot when I played it), and the last clue is about the Aztec and Egypt levels.

YoY: NEW!     My Rating: 9.2/10

The original Valkyria Chronicles is one of my absolute favourite games of all time, and to my great delight it proved to be an unexpected success back in 2008. I was anticipating another home console sequel to be announced relatively quickly, but then it turned out the next game in the series would be released on the PSP instead. I liked the game, but it was definitely held back by its platform, and failed to sell nearly as much as the first game. Following this, the third game was never even released outside of Japan as the PSP wasn't really doing very well in the west at that point. As a result, for quite a few years it felt like the series was effectively dead. Then finally, Valkyria Chronicles 4 was announced for home consoles and eventually released in 2018, making this without question one of the longest waits for a game I've ever experienced. Fortunately, it more than lived up to my expectations.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is not quite on the level of the first game, mostly because I liked the story and characters a little bit more, but on the gameplay side there are some great improvements and additions made to what we had in the earlier games, including a new character class and some more variety to the gameplay of existing ones. Visually, this is a beautiful game, the anime-inspired, watercolor style creating some truly impressive moments. This is without question a worthy follow-up to the first game, and hopefully we don't have to wait another 10 years for the next title in the series.

All games were guessed this time around, so without further adieu here are some words about my number 35-31:

Placement/

Last Year

Write-up

(Box) Art

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

The first year I took part in this 4 of the 5 MGS games made the list, but by now its down to just one as the others have been pushed out (they’re still great though). Sons of Liberty is a serious ride from start to finish with an absolutely insane storyline even by Metal Gear standards and it’s my favorite for that very reason, even if there might honestly be one too many plot twists thrown in there (seriously what does S3 stand for?). However, the gameplay of early MGS games was never that great in my eyes if I’m being honest (though still far from bad), and that’s the main reason most have left the list by now and 2 is steadily declining. But as overall experiences I still like them a ton, and Sons of Liberty in particular.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (video game, stealth, espionage,  action-adventure, science fiction, postmodernism) reviews & ratings -  Glitchwave

Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward

Virtue’s Last Reward is a very difficult game for me to rank because on one hand it’s full of excellent puzzles and puzzle rooms and has an incredibly ambitious story with crazy twists. On the other hand, it has at least one, if not multiple, glaring plot holes and several other elements that feel off such as one of the returning characters having a very different personality and appearance (something that somehow became a trend when the third game did it for multiple characters). But the good parts are really good though, so much so that this game would probably be sitting comfortably in my top 20 without the screw ups.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - Twitch 

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

So yeah, 99 on metacritic and often hailed as the greatest game of all time; it’s no exaggeration to say that Nintendo knocked it out of the park with the first 3D Zelda game and it laid the blueprint for probably the most critically acclaimed (sub)series out there. It also brought with it lock-on targeting which works damn well here and helps make its combat feel great even if its not the most advanced. And of course, the dungeons are the star of the show with lots of varied and memorable ones here. I wouldn’t call it a perfect game though as I think there are some flaws to speak of, but the 3DS remake did address some of them such as improving the controls and allowing for easier item switching, which makes it my version of choice.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/30/The_Lege...

Resident Evil 4 (Wii Version)

Well, Resident Evil 4 is a favorite to many, and it’s not hard to see why. It’s survival horror at its best and has many extremely iconic parts to it from the 1-hitting chainsaw man to the ever-quotable merchant. But to me at least, there’s also been another element that elevated the experience: motion controls. The Wii version is still the only version of this platform-rich game I’ve ever played, and its simply the best implementation of motion aiming in a shooter that I’ve seen, and perhaps surprisingly, it goes damn well with horror gameplay. Actually, having to physically aim down a Regenerador as they menacingly walk towards you is just a special kind of terrifying. When next year’s remake drops, I guess I’ll have to try to make due without those motion controls, but I’m awaiting it eagerly nonetheless.

Tales of Xillia 2

So funny story, I have a Day One edition of this game sitting on my shelf… that I bought brand new maybe 3 years after release from a regular retailer. Yeaaah, I don’t think this was Bandai’s biggest hit in the west (releasing here in 2014 exclusively for the PS3 probably didn’t help), and that’s quite a shame because in my eyes it’s still the best Tales game since the 00s. It’s a bit of a unique entry in several ways both for its more fragmented mission-based structure, allowing each character to have their own side stories, and for being centered around player choice, an element I definitely liked even if your choices rarely had long lasting consequences. The storytelling is generally excellent with emotions running high at times and on the gameplay front the game fully delivers as well which, at least to me, is nearly a given with Tales titles.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Alright better leave some new hints as well so I don't fall behind:

30) 264 floors

29) In a way this game's world is comprised of sounds

28) Few games have as many "endings" as this, though to be fair the game doesn't actually end after some of them.

27) Reaching for the moon

26) Several lines from this game are permanently ingrained in my brain:
"My old enemy..."
"I've been thinking-" "Don't hurt yourself."
"I. Am. DYING."

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Alright better leave some new hints as well so I don't fall behind:

30) 264 floors

29) In a way this game's world is comprised of sounds

28) Few games have as many "endings" as this, though to be fair the game doesn't actually end after some of them.

27) Reaching for the moon

26) Several lines from this game are permanently ingrained in my brain:
"My old enemy..."
"I've been thinking-" "Don't hurt yourself."
"I. Am. DYING."

28: Nier: Automata is the first game that came to mind.

27: To the Moon? Or is that too obvious?