By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Will Liz Truss become the shortest-served PM in British history? Update: Yep!

So the pound has sinking, Kwasi Kwarteng got the boot, and the approval rating for the Tories is in the 20s. Liz Truss has been PM since September 6.

Does Truss resign after less than two months in office? If so, who replaces her? 

*Edit: Yes, as of 10/20/2022. 

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 20 October 2022

Around the Network

A general election would be a good way to answer the question.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

You need to truss her

SanAndreasX said:

So the pound has sinking, Kwasi Kwarteng got the boot, and the approval rating for the Tories is in the 20s. Liz Truss has been PM since September 6.

Does Truss resign after less than two months in office? If so, who replaces her? 

I find it strange that after all the drama from the last conservative leader... (Boris) that the country would elect another conservative leader?
Is the alternative, that bad over there?

Genuine question as I don't generally follow British politics.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
SanAndreasX said:

I find it strange that after all the drama from the last conservative leader... (Boris) that the country would elect another conservative leader?

There hasn’t been a general election since Boris Johnson resigned. The current polls are showing Labour at 47-55% and the Conservatives at 19-27%. Chances are the conservatives getting back in within the next 10 years are slim.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:

You need to truss her

I haven’t seen this kind of support for Antitruss since Standard Oil.

Jumpin said:
Pemalite said:

There hasn’t been a general election since Boris Johnson resigned. The current polls are showing Labour at 47-55% and the Conservatives at 19-27%. Chances are the conservatives getting back in within the next 10 years are slim.

Guess that explains why the conservatives got back in.

It's interesting how there seems to be a political flow the world over where we seem to be in sync on conservative vs progressive leaders, when Trump was in power, most western nations had conservative leaders... Since then there has been a swing to the left.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Jumpin said:

A general election would be a good way to answer the question.

The only ones who can call for an early election are the tories, and considering their polls, they certainly won't do that. They also can't elect a new leader because the elected one is untouchable for an entire year by Tory rules. They would either need to change the rules or abdicate by herself so she can leave with some dignity instead of getting pushed out.

But either way, that would just bring us another Tory leader. And considering how the trajectory went from Cameron > May > Johnson > Truss, I actually fear what will come after Truss in that scenario.

SKMBlake said:

You need to truss her

I can't, I have severe Truss issues about her.

Pemalite said:
SanAndreasX said:

It was an internal election of the Tory party, they just elected the leader of the party. But since the outgoing party leader was also the PM, the one who ended up elected would also become PM, even though nobody outside of Tory officials had voted for her.

She will probably go kicking and screaming like Boris did.

The record is 23 days, so no.

Love and tolerate.