By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Will Liz Truss become the shortest-served PM in British history? Update: Yep!

Can the British public just vote out the tories. The idiots voted for boris over corbyn and now their country is sinking further into nonsense

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
Eagle367 said:

Can the British public just vote out the tories. The idiots voted for boris over corbyn and now their country is sinking further into nonsense

During a general election, they can. But unless the Conservatives call for one, it’s two years away until the next general election.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Eagle367 said:

The British public are the same people who voted for the Brexit and young people who didn't want Brexit where to busy doing their own thing to be bothered. You are asking way too much of the public. The people deserve the leaders they get in a democracy.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Jumpin said:
Eagle367 said:

During a general election, they can. But unless the Conservatives call for one, it’s two years away until the next general election.

Even then it's unlikely the Tories lose most of their influence. Even in the USA the republicans after Trump have massive support. Someone who is responsible for the Capitol incident.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Salnax said:

The record is 23 days, so no.

The shortest-served British Prime Minister, George Canning, served for 119 days before dying in office of tuberculosis. 

Around the Network

Looks like Ben Wallace may be in the most prominent position to succeed Truss if she does leave.

Tories are undoing the damage of negative 12 years of Labour rule, it'll be fine, 5th time lucky, chaos with Labour /s. Honestly, I don't care at this point, whoever her replacement is will be either slightly less shit, equally shit or even more shit, as every Tory leader across the past 12 years has been utter shit.

SanAndreasX said:

Looks like Ben Wallace may be in the most prominent position to succeed Truss if she does leave.

Nah, Ben already had his chance in the last vote and refused to take part, I think a combination of him not wanting the PM spot (maybe he has aspirations for NATO Chief?) and the fact that the PM spot right now is fucking tainted, Ben is in a relatively 'easy' position right now, support for Ukraine is high and UK has been a great partner for Ukraine thus Ben is popular, that could quickly change if he becomes PM.

Personally, I think he's the most tolerable Tory right now but that is because I don't know his views on much else, he could be a massive dickhead in other areas, but he is doing a great job with Ukraine, so I want him to stay there. The likely replacements to Truss are either Sunak or Mordaunt, hell I would put a Boris comeback above Ben Wallace, Lol. Defence is the only place safe right now for a government official.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 18 October 2022

Ryuu96 said:

Tories are undoing the damage of negative 12 years of Labour rule, it'll be fine, 5th time lucky, chaos with Labour /s. Honestly, I don't care at this point, whoever her replacement is will be either slightly less shit, equally shit or even more shit, as every Tory leader across the past 12 years has been utter shit.

SanAndreasX said:

Nah, Ben already had his chance in the last vote and refused to take part, I think a combination of him not wanting the PM spot (maybe he has aspirations for NATO Chief?) and the fact that the PM spot right now is fucking tainted, Ben is in a relatively 'easy' position right now, support for Ukraine is high and UK has been a great partner for Ukraine thus Ben is popular, that could quickly change if he becomes PM.

Personally, I think he's the most tolerable Tory right now but that is because I don't know his views on much else, he could be a massive dickhead in other areas, but he is doing a great job with Ukraine, so I want him to stay there. The likely replacements to Truss are either Sunak or Mordaunt, hell I would put a Boris comeback above Ben Wallace, Lol. Defence is the only place safe right now for a government official.

Going by the trajectory of the last UK PMs, I'd say both Mordaunt and  Sunak would buck the trend of PMs getting worse and worse because they're much more realistic than Truss, so I hope any of them would become PM after Truss until the General election and stabilize the country.

The only thing that could be worse than Truss would probably be that instead of them, Badenoch would get elected as leader of the Tories and new PM, because I don't think she would have U-turned on her policies like Truss did.

https://news.sky.com/story/majority-of-tory-party-members-want-truss-to-resign-now-and-want-boris-johnson-to-replace-her-12723609

So apparently, they want to replace the Prime Minister that replaced Boris Johnson with... Boris Johnson.

What is the definition of insanity, again?

SanAndreasX said:

https://news.sky.com/story/majority-of-tory-party-members-want-truss-to-resign-now-and-want-boris-johnson-to-replace-her-12723609

So apparently, they want to replace the Prime Minister that replaced Boris Johnson with... Boris Johnson.

What is the definition of insanity, again?

The tories are a joke and treating the UK like their personal plaything.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also