By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Will Liz Truss become the shortest-served PM in British history? Update: Yep!

I hope for the Tories that they can recover somewhat from the damage Truss has done to the party. The latest poll shows the Conservatives at just 14%, a mere 3% above the Lib Dems. In the younger Demographics, they even drop down to just 5% (25-49) or 6%(18-24) and it's only the 65+ age group that really keeps the party alive with 19%: https://peoplepolling.org/tables/202210_GBN_W42_full.pdf#subsection*.12

It also shows that a Boris II Electric Boogaloo would have some popular support: He's second in the preference only 3% behind Rishi Sunak, and Penny Mordaunt is distant third at just 5%.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I hope for the Tories that they can recover somewhat from the damage Truss has done to the party. The latest poll shows the Conservatives at just 14%, a mere 3% above the Lib Dems. In the younger Demographics, they even drop down to just 5% (25-49) or 6%(18-24) and it's only the 65+ age group that really keeps the party alive with 19%: https://peoplepolling.org/tables/202210_GBN_W42_full.pdf#subsection*.12

It also shows that a Boris II Electric Boogaloo would have some popular support: He's second in the preference only 3% behind Rishi Sunak, and Penny Mordaunt is distant third at just 5%.

I don't hope so. They suck. I hope they self destruct.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I didn't think this clown show could get any worse but bringing back the man who had to resign because he broke his own law and had the most resignations in history, is disliked by a significant portion of his party and is currently under investigation is definitely worse. We're such a fucking joke of a country, Boris will only provide them a temporary boost thankfully for Tories to be smashed by Labour in the next election.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 21 October 2022

Eagle367 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Labour needs some bit of a counterweight, lest they'll feel untouchable and their policies will become shitty. Hence why I just said somewhat: Enough to make some opposition so Labour's success won't go to their heads, but not enough to become a real contender anymore.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Eagle367 said:

Labour needs some bit of a counterweight, lest they'll feel untouchable and their policies will become shitty. Hence why I just said somewhat: Enough to make some opposition so Labour's success won't go to their heads, but not enough to become a real contender anymore.

Likewise, I would like to see the Republican Party become a viable option for different policies in running the country. I will never vote for them as long as they're in thrall to Trump, DeSantis, or the Evangelicals, and I also understand that I live in a two-party system, so voting third party is out.

Around the Network

eww, if the russian bastard comes back that'd be even worse!

The big question is going to be: How many more PM's the Tories will burn through before the next General election?

I've read she will be allowed to get paid 115,000£ a year until she dies just because she was PM for 45 days WTF.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-63340998

Mordaunt is so far the only candidate who is officially running - but Sunak has already 90 over 100 supporters behind him, 10 more and he's on the ballot. Worse, some of those voted for Mordaunt in the summer.

Boris meanwhile got booed in the plane he was taking to go back to the UK. It shows how unpopular he made himself with his constant scandals, even for several in his own party.

Edit: Sunak now already has over 100 supporters and is thus qualified for the first round

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 22 October 2022

Radek said:

I've read she will be allowed to get paid 115,000£ a year until she dies just because she was PM for 45 days WTF.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-63340998

Maybe read the article you linked?

She doesn't just get paid 115k. She's allowed to claim up to 115k for public appearance/work related expenses, and will need the receipts to justify it. Things like making appearances at events as an ex-PM, or TV interviews etc.

You can certainly argue about the worth of having such an allowance at all, but at least criticise it for accurate reasons than spreading misinformation.

Last edited by Ka-pi96 - on 22 October 2022