By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stadia officially shutting down January 18th, 2023

Chrkeller said:

Stadia had pay for streaming but still required purchasing games. Just stupid.

No, streaming was free. You only had to pay for the games you wanted to stream (either by buying them or for the selected games in the Pro subscription).

Around the Network
Conina said:
Chrkeller said:

Stadia had pay for streaming but still required purchasing games. Just stupid.

No, streaming was free. You only had to pay for the games you wanted to stream (either by buying them or for the selected games in the Pro subscription).

I thought the 4k streaming or upgraded streaming costs money?  

Just looked, it was $10 a month for surround and 4k....  plus buying games....  it was a dumb idea.  Charging for streaming and charging for games is just too much.  

hinch said:
Shadow1980 said:

This is precisely why I will never spend a single dime on streaming game services, and why if the industry ever abandons physical media then I'm done supporting it.

Digital is the way things are going for consoles, sadly. I can see the gen after next, that manufacturers next completely remove physical media from their consoles. And I wouldn't be too surprised if Nintendo followed suit shortly after. And there's no need to be so dramatic to quit gaming should things go digital. PC's and Steam have been thriving for years without physical media.. if you like to game, and don't want to be ripped off you can't go wrong by using Steam :PP

In any case cloud gaming was always iffy for me. If its not the input lag its the terrible image quality compared to playing on a local machine. When I play on game on one, it always looks and feels like I'm playing a stream instead of a game lol. Really off-putting tbh.

Indeed no need to quit, my physical backlog will keep me busy until I can't hold a controller any longer .I won't buy any console without physical media. I use them to watch (4k) blu-ray / dvd, remove half their use is no more use to me. I do buy digital games though, not opposed to them as long as you can download them. Especially for VR, swapping disks is not convenient. Yet for big AAA games, a fancy steel book edition >>> digital download.

I still have that with movie streaming, it's like watching you tube instead of a real movie. I'm a stickler for 24p for my movies and most streaming apps butcher it to 60hz with compression artifacts in busy scenes. That judder from 24 to 60 is annoying. Plus every streaming app has its own sound and subtitle (non)options. One uses Dolby Digital, some support Dolby Atmos, Disney+ uses Dolby Digital+ is a way that makes my amp crash :/ (had to downgrade it to Dolby Pro-Logic 2 over PCM). Nothing like blu-ray where DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD deliver lossless compressed surround sound.

Steam is a bit of a rip off btw. I used to be able to buy one physical addition and play it with up to 3 friends in LAN. Now you need 4 copies of the digital game to do the same. On console you can still buy one digital copy to play together on one online account. (2 boxes). At least Steam lets me share my games with my kids nowadays, although we can't play the same game together.

Chrkeller said:
Conina said:

4K streaming is optional.

If you want higher resolution / better image quality for your hardware at home, you also have to pay more to play the same games (One-X-enhanced instead of One-S settings, PS4-Pro-settings instead of PS4-settings, Series-X-settings instead of Series-S- or One-X-settings, PS5-settings instead of PS4-Pro-settings, more expensive PC-graphic cards...) 

Conina said:
Chrkeller said:

4K streaming is optional.

If you want higher resolution / better image quality for your hardware at home, you also have to pay more to play the same games (One-X-enhanced instead of One-S settings, PS4-Pro-settings instead of PS4-settings, Series-X-settings instead of Series-S- or One-X-settings, PS5-settings instead of PS4-Pro-settings, more expensive PC-graphic cards...) 

Sure, but stereo is kind of ridiculous.  I mean the Wii U has 5.1 PCM output.  Either way, I stand by my opinion.  Stadia, for me, was silly and DoA.  $10 a month for 4k and surround...  and having to buy games.  But you are entitled to yours.

Edit

Surround always has and always will be important to me.  Really adds to the atmosphere.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 02 October 2022

Around the Network
hinch said:
Shadow1980 said:

This is precisely why I will never spend a single dime on streaming game services, and why if the industry ever abandons physical media then I'm done supporting it.

Digital is the way things are going for consoles, sadly. I can see the gen after next, that manufacturers next completely remove physical media from their consoles. And I wouldn't be too surprised if Nintendo followed suit shortly after. And there's no need to be so dramatic to quit gaming should things go digital. PC's and Steam have been thriving for years without physical media.. if you like to game, and don't want to be ripped off you can't go wrong by using Steam :PP

In any case cloud gaming was always iffy for me. If its not the input lag its the terrible image quality compared to playing on a local machine. When I play on game on one, it always looks and feels like I'm playing a stream instead of a game lol. Really off-putting tbh.

I prefer physical because I actually like to own my media. I never owned an mp3 player, never had an account for iTunes, Spotify, etc., and never bought a digital copy of a movie. I still buy CDs (too many to count), Blu-rays (nearly 100 movies so far), print books (mostly manga), and so far I own 60 different games on physical between the PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Series X, and Switch, to say nothing of the dozens I have on older systems. I did download a few Virtual Console & WiiWare games on the Wii & Wii U, and I did download Blaster Master Zero on the Switch to have something to play at launch besides BotW, but aside from that every digital game I've downloaded I got for free as part of some promotion. I do have Game Pass, but I treat that as a "try before you buy" sort of thing. If I like the game, I buy it physically if that's an option.

If the option to buy physical is taken away from me, then I'm done supporting the video games industry. I'll have several decades worth of games at my disposal to last me the rest of my life. I'm not sinking hundreds of dollars into something I don't even own.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Signalstar said:

I wonder how Amazon Luna is doing?

Just 3 more months Stadia chan :(

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Mnementh said:

Strange thing is, now game devs saying they were still about to release games on Stadia just days ago:

It's not only Tangle Tower, if you read the thread other devs are joining in.

Surprisingly... October brought new games to Stadia and into the Pro subscription, including the beforementioned Tangle Tower. So for three and a half month the release for Stadia will show fruits. :)

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]