By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stadia officially shutting down January 18th, 2023

snyps said:

So doesn’t this hurt the third party devs on Stradia? If folks get refunded, does the devs keep something?

Google pays the refunds. They can't force the publishers to do that.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

This is precisely why I will never spend a single dime on streaming game services, and why if the industry ever abandons physical media then I'm done supporting it.

Digital is the way things are going for consoles, sadly. I can see the gen after next, that manufacturers next completely remove physical media from their consoles. And I wouldn't be too surprised if Nintendo followed suit shortly after. And there's no need to be so dramatic to quit gaming should things go digital. PC's and Steam have been thriving for years without physical media.. if you like to game, and don't want to be ripped off you can't go wrong by using Steam :PP

In any case cloud gaming was always iffy for me. If its not the input lag its the terrible image quality compared to playing on a local machine. When I play on game on one, it always looks and feels like I'm playing a stream instead of a game lol. Really off-putting tbh.

Last edited by hinch - on 01 October 2022

Kakadu18 said:
snyps said:

So doesn’t this hurt the third party devs on Stradia? If folks get refunded, does the devs keep something?

Google pays the refunds. They can't force the publishers to do that.

Assuming that google made 33% on each game, then they are refunding 100%. That’s a little expensive, but I guess they have no choice

BasilZero said:

I'm surprised they will refund all purchases. They probably didnt have that many and decided to refund what little was sold for extra good PR.

But another one added to the Google graveyard lol

Don't give them any ideas.

Google Graveyard - Why bury your loved ones in the ground when you can upload them to the cloud?

Launching 2023

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Well at least it lived longer then OnLive…

…you know OnLive, the plaform that was exactly the same thing as Stadia and failed. That I brought up on these forums before the release of stadia that no one here seemed to have heard of.

Around the Network
Spindel said:

Well at least it lived longer then OnLive…

…you know OnLive, the plaform that was exactly the same thing as Stadia and failed. That I brought up on these forums before the release of stadia that no one here seemed to have heard of.

I think Sony bought Onlive and technically it lives as PSnow.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Spindel said:

Well at least it lived longer then OnLive

No, Stadia died over a year earlier:

from official start:

Onlive: June 2010 - April 2015 = 58 months

Stadia: November 2019 - January 2023 = 39 months

from service announcement:

Onlive: March 2009 - April 2015 = 74 months

Stadia: October 2018 - January 2023 = 51 months

Last edited by Conina - on 02 October 2022

Conina said:
Spindel said:

Well at least it lived longer then OnLive

from official start:

from service announcement:

Onlive: March 2009 - April 2015 = 74 months

Stadia: October 2018 - January 2023 = 51 months

Stadia launched in 2019

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Conina said:

from official start:

Stadia launched in 2019

That's what I wrote: November 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Stadia

Streaming based gaming doesn't bother me, but Stadia was just stupid. I pay to stream on Netflix, but I'm not expected to pay for content. Stadia had pay for streaming but still required purchasing games. Just stupid.