By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stadia officially shutting down January 18th, 2023

Rest in torment in hell.

Around the Network

Yea this was expected. This service was the pure definition of "dead on arrival".

Google launched this service with nothing but older games that had already been on other platforms, some for years now. They gave 0 reasons for PS & Xbox users to play games on Stadia, Stadia didn't offer any significant graphical advantage, any games that weren't on other platforms, and only gave gamers more of a reason to be scared of using Stadia based on the fact of paying full price for games that you don't own at all and aren't even guaranteed to run correctly. People were already super skeptical of cloud gaming as soon as Stadia was announced, but the lack of games, overpriced games, lack of features at launch, and the negative reviews on the performance sealed the deal when it came to its fate of failure.

Honestly, even if Google did everything right with Stadia, such as having a bigger library, little performance issues, and more features, I still find it hard to see Stadia being anything remotely successful since you aren't ever guaranteed to own those games. Other Cloud gaming services like XCloud & Nvidia Geforce Now are better cloud gaming options you could download & own the game physically and use the cloud versions of those games as an alternative rather than being locked as a cloud-only experience, that alone and the fact that Xbox is a far more trustworthy gaming brand than Google already makes Stadia obsolete to most gamers. I think Cloud Gaming is only good as an alternative, never as the main option to play games.

And soon nobody will remember it ever existed.

Since they pushed for exclusives I can only see this as a good thing since games being exclusive to a cloud service should not be a viable business move. I might buy a used controller partially as a collector's item and to see if it feels nice to use.

Captain_Yuri said:

The 5 people that used that service will be disappointed

Idiots if they had held off they could have conned I mean talked Saudi Arabia into buying Stadia for $13 Billion.

Still even if they did it we would have had to put up with those bloody Google losers crowing about what a success Stadia was and that then would have seen them deciding to search for other great world shaping ideas out there, only for them to see that potential at Meta, leading to Google having an "epiphany" moment that said the Metaverse needs another 13 billion to unlock its potential and we are investing.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 29 September 2022

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

Great news, fuck cloud gaming.

Surprised it lasted this long tbh.

Also crazy how they're refunding hardware purchases, as well. Free Chomecast/controller for me.. can't complain lol.

Last edited by hinch - on 29 September 2022

Should I buy hardware now? Could get a free stadia controller? Is it good?

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:

It's useless now.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Eagle367 said:

It's useless now.

But a free collectible controller though.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also