By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nvidia employee acknowledges Tegra 239 SoC rumored to be powering Switch 2

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

Correct.  Just because I bought something doesn't mean I have to use it.  And I'm guessing via Switch sales Nvidia is selling more than expected.  I would suspect their relationship with Nintendo is quite nice at the moment.  

Personally I am happy to upgrade...  but I've been told every year for 3 years now...  a new Switch is coming...  still waiting.  Will there ever be a point where people accept there isn't a Switch Pro?

I don't think that's how chip agreements work. Nintendo either has to pay Nvidia upfront for all the R&D cost of this chip or probably even more likely there is a royalty fee per unit that Nvidia expects, meaning Nintendo has to start selling a certain number of these chips possibly in 2023 as an pre-agreed upon price per unit. 

Because Nvidia has their own internal profit targets they want to hit and they have planned for, just saying "well we don't need the chip so we won't pay you for another year or two" isn't likely going to fly. If you paint someone's house because you're expecting that money to help pay your bills for the month, I don't think you're going to be OK with the person paying you trying to say "well I actually didn't need my house painted this month so let me pay you next year". 

Given the 300k units of 10 year chips Nvidia is selling weekly...  I'm sure they are willing to work with Nintendo.  Look I hope to be wrong.  I am ready for a major Switch upgrade.  I just don't believe it is happening anytime soon.  

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
Chrkeller said:

For sure I could see a revision...  I just don't think it will be the 4k DSLL 60 fps Pro some people are expecting.  

I have no doubt that a 4K60fps Switch with DLSS capabilities is being worked on. Console manufacturers are always working on the "next-gen" console pretty soon after the launch of a new system, but Nintendo is going to keep that as close to the chest as possible until they have to. Possibly a pre-existing agreement between Nintendo and Nvidia. 

Nintendo won't even drop the price of the original Switch. Why should we expect they're imminently going to release a Pro or Switch 2 anytime soon? If there's one thing I've learned throughout my gaming life, is that Nintendo is almost never going to do what we expect them to do. 

They can charge more than $350 for any new model, so that probably works fine for Nintendo. 

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

I don't think that's how chip agreements work. Nintendo either has to pay Nvidia upfront for all the R&D cost of this chip or probably even more likely there is a royalty fee per unit that Nvidia expects, meaning Nintendo has to start selling a certain number of these chips possibly in 2023 as an pre-agreed upon price per unit. 

Because Nvidia has their own internal profit targets they want to hit and they have planned for, just saying "well we don't need the chip so we won't pay you for another year or two" isn't likely going to fly. If you paint someone's house because you're expecting that money to help pay your bills for the month, I don't think you're going to be OK with the person paying you trying to say "well I actually didn't need my house painted this month so let me pay you next year". 

Given the 300k units of 10 year chips Nvidia is selling weekly...  I'm sure they are willing to work with Nintendo.  Look I hope to be wrong.  I am ready for a major Switch upgrade.  I just don't believe it is happening anytime soon.  

From Nvidia's POV, they likely gave Nintendo a sweetheart deal on that Tegra X1 design because the X1 was a relative failure based on their expectations of it being in many kinds of tablets and devices like that. 

So likely they have more incentive to want this newer chip to become the standard sooner than later because they likely will make more money off this one. 

If it makes you feel better I don't think Nintendo themselves will be moving projects from the current Switch any time soon, so at best for Nintendo games all this new model is going to give is a resolution bump with maybe some RT added on if Nintendo feels like it. 

Soundwave said:
gtotheunit91 said:

I have no doubt that a 4K60fps Switch with DLSS capabilities is being worked on. Console manufacturers are always working on the "next-gen" console pretty soon after the launch of a new system, but Nintendo is going to keep that as close to the chest as possible until they have to. Possibly a pre-existing agreement between Nintendo and Nvidia. 

Nintendo won't even drop the price of the original Switch. Why should we expect they're imminently going to release a Pro or Switch 2 anytime soon? If there's one thing I've learned throughout my gaming life, is that Nintendo is almost never going to do what we expect them to do. 

They can charge more than $350 for any new model, so that probably works fine for Nintendo. 

That's a good point. Nintendo never sells their consoles at a loss, and with the Switch on its way to becoming the best selling console of all time, the last thing Nintendo wants to do is bring the price down when there's clearly no reason to.

gtotheunit91 said:
Soundwave said:

That's a good point. Nintendo never sells their consoles at a loss, and with the Switch on its way to becoming the best selling console of all time, the last thing Nintendo wants to do is bring the price down when there's clearly no reason to.

I'd be pretty floored if this thing is just $350.

Probably $399.99 minimum, could even see $449.99. 

The way to position it so as to not get into a $250 3DS launch situation is to just sell it as a premium addition to the Switch hardware family and not the start of a new product brand entirely and let it just be a bonus to whatever regular Switch units you sell for a few years. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
gtotheunit91 said:

The way to position it so as to not get into a $250 3DS launch situation is to just sell it as a premium addition to the Switch hardware family and not the start of a new product brand entirely and let it just be a bonus to whatever regular Switch units you sell for a few years. 

I was thinking more Nintendo not positioning themselves the way they did with the New 3DS. Where it had better hardware and played all DS/3DS games, but it had some exclusive games. Not that the list was that extensive, but what a kick in the balls it was. 

gtotheunit91 said:
Soundwave said:

I was thinking more Nintendo not positioning themselves the way they did with the New 3DS. Where it had better hardware and played all DS/3DS games, but it had some exclusive games. Not that the list was that extensive, but what a kick in the balls it was. 

I think it's possible you'll start to see Nintendo subtly just refer to "Switch" as a product family and software ecosystem and no longer just any kind of singular model. There is no single Switch just as there is no single iPhone. 

gtotheunit91 said:
Mar1217 said:

And as usual, the most important part will be the use of DLSS 2.2 features.

100% this! We may actually be able to see up to 4k 60fps for most Nintendo games with DLSS 2.2! Minus major titles like TLoZ Tears of the Kingdom, for example.

Freaking DLSS 3.0 is giving games like Spider-Man Remastered 200+ fps with ray tracing on. So if this is all true, we're in for a major upgrade!

I would not count.on 4K happening. More likely rendered at 540P and upscaled to 1080P. Chip is roughly a base Xbox One.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

gtotheunit91 said:
Soundwave said:

Yeah, this is why I don't think there will be a Pro Switch.  Nintendo isn't going to sell MK9 as requiring a Pro Switch and leave 120,000,000 current switch owners out in the cold.  Nintendo will continue to leverage the current Switch's success.  

Leynos said:
gtotheunit91 said:

100% this! We may actually be able to see up to 4k 60fps for most Nintendo games with DLSS 2.2! Minus major titles like TLoZ Tears of the Kingdom, for example.

Freaking DLSS 3.0 is giving games like Spider-Man Remastered 200+ fps with ray tracing on. So if this is all true, we're in for a major upgrade!

I would not count.on 4K happening. More likely rendered at 540P and upscaled to 1080P. Chip is roughly a base Xbox One.

Well, supposedly it's about base Xbox One in handheld mode, which is to say about 6x more powerful than Switch 1 in handheld mode. When docked I'd guess we'll see power closer to PS4 Pro. If I had to guess, we'll get like 480-540p native DLSS'd up to 900-1080p in handheld mode (assuming of course that Nintendo is willing to pay for a 1080p screen), and something like 900p native DLSS'd up to 1800p when docked.