By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nvidia employee acknowledges Tegra 239 SoC rumored to be powering Switch 2

Soundwave said:
gtotheunit91 said:

I have no doubt that a 4K60fps Switch with DLSS capabilities is being worked on. Console manufacturers are always working on the "next-gen" console pretty soon after the launch of a new system, but Nintendo is going to keep that as close to the chest as possible until they have to. Possibly a pre-existing agreement between Nintendo and Nvidia. 

Nintendo won't even drop the price of the original Switch. Why should we expect they're imminently going to release a Pro or Switch 2 anytime soon? If there's one thing I've learned throughout my gaming life, is that Nintendo is almost never going to do what we expect them to do. 

They can charge more than $350 for any new model, so that probably works fine for Nintendo. 

That's a good point. Nintendo never sells their consoles at a loss, and with the Switch on its way to becoming the best selling console of all time, the last thing Nintendo wants to do is bring the price down when there's clearly no reason to.

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
Soundwave said:

They can charge more than $350 for any new model, so that probably works fine for Nintendo. 

That's a good point. Nintendo never sells their consoles at a loss, and with the Switch on its way to becoming the best selling console of all time, the last thing Nintendo wants to do is bring the price down when there's clearly no reason to.

I'd be pretty floored if this thing is just $350.

Probably $399.99 minimum, could even see $449.99. 

The way to position it so as to not get into a $250 3DS launch situation is to just sell it as a premium addition to the Switch hardware family and not the start of a new product brand entirely and let it just be a bonus to whatever regular Switch units you sell for a few years. 

Soundwave said:
gtotheunit91 said:

The way to position it so as to not get into a $250 3DS launch situation is to just sell it as a premium addition to the Switch hardware family and not the start of a new product brand entirely and let it just be a bonus to whatever regular Switch units you sell for a few years. 

I was thinking more Nintendo not positioning themselves the way they did with the New 3DS. Where it had better hardware and played all DS/3DS games, but it had some exclusive games. Not that the list was that extensive, but what a kick in the balls it was. 

gtotheunit91 said:
Soundwave said:

I was thinking more Nintendo not positioning themselves the way they did with the New 3DS. Where it had better hardware and played all DS/3DS games, but it had some exclusive games. Not that the list was that extensive, but what a kick in the balls it was. 

I think it's possible you'll start to see Nintendo subtly just refer to "Switch" as a product family and software ecosystem and no longer just any kind of singular model. There is no single Switch just as there is no single iPhone. 

gtotheunit91 said:
Mar1217 said:

And as usual, the most important part will be the use of DLSS 2.2 features.

100% this! We may actually be able to see up to 4k 60fps for most Nintendo games with DLSS 2.2! Minus major titles like TLoZ Tears of the Kingdom, for example.

Freaking DLSS 3.0 is giving games like Spider-Man Remastered 200+ fps with ray tracing on. So if this is all true, we're in for a major upgrade!

I would not count.on 4K happening. More likely rendered at 540P and upscaled to 1080P. Chip is roughly a base Xbox One.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
Soundwave said:

Yeah, this is why I don't think there will be a Pro Switch.  Nintendo isn't going to sell MK9 as requiring a Pro Switch and leave 120,000,000 current switch owners out in the cold.  Nintendo will continue to leverage the current Switch's success.  

Manlytears said:

Using Ampere based GPU, also Cortex A-78!?
This shit will be expensive, not looking like Ninty stuff.

Yeah but Switch 2 it at least two years out, so will be a lot cheaper by the time they are actually manufacturing the systems. They don't need to buy very many of these just to build prototypes and early devkits.

Mar1217 said:
Soundwave said:

I think this will launch with Zelda: TotK next May and it is a successor hardware, but Nintendo won't be migrating from the current Switch ecosystem any time soon. It'll just get the same Nintendo Switch games from Nintendo but in 4K maybe with some added effects (ray tracing or better lighting).

They likely ordered development on this chip years ago, like 2019 if not sooner, so it's simply finished or close to finished.

It'll be $399.99 minimum too I think, since I don't think the OG Switch is going anywhere, this will initially just be more like an additive model so it won't have the responsibility of having to carry an entire product line at first.

Probably a bunch of 3rd party exclusives though like Street Fighter VI and RE4 Remake and FF7 Remake I can see being announced for it.

The way you speak of this all. You seem almost sure Nintendo will pull off a Sega Saturn type of announcement cuz I really doubt Nintendo would've drop a date for the Next Zelda while we would still have to hear any announcement for the Switch successor. 

It still makes plenty more sense for them to get another year out of the present ecosystem, until the end of 2023. The last wave of the MK8 DX DLC Pack seems indicative of that

haha people still thinking a Switch is coming out in 2023. Yeah I've seen several people say Switch 2 will launch with Zelda and its just like what are these people smoking haha Switch is still the dominant system on the market today and a year from today Switch and PS5 will probably be closely competing in HW sales. It's just absurd to think the Switch 2 will be out in a year or so, let alone in 8 months.

To put this into perspective, next year Switch will probably sell right around what PS4 did in its best years (18m+)...so no a new Switch is not coming out in 2023 or anywhere near 2023.

Switch 2 will launch no sooner than holiday 2024. Whether they launch in Holiday 2024 or Spring 2025 (which are probably the mostly likely dates as I don't see them pushing it out to holiday 2025) will probably depend on how Switch is selling in early 2024 and how holiday 2023 goes as well. In early 2024 they'll probably make a decision on if Switch can have a strong final holiday in 2024 or if they think a new system should takeover for that holiday season. Only way a Spring 2024 launch happens is if Switch hits the fabled "cliff" in 2023, which isn't gonna happen. After the new Zelda they could easily launch several big games along with $50 price cuts (sometimes people seem to forget there have been zero price cuts in 5.5 years!) in late 2023 / early 2024 if sales did slow down more than gradually at any point.

I don't expect Nintendo will even announce the next system until Spring 2024. Any talk of Switch 2 coming out in, or even been announced in 2023 is way too soon.

Paatar said:
Soundwave said:

I think this will launch with Zelda: TotK next May and it is a successor hardware, but Nintendo won't be migrating from the current Switch ecosystem any time soon. It'll just get the same Nintendo Switch games from Nintendo but in 4K maybe with some added effects (ray tracing or better lighting).

They likely ordered development on this chip years ago, like 2019 if not sooner, so it's simply finished or close to finished.

It'll be $399.99 minimum too I think, since I don't think the OG Switch is going anywhere, this will initially just be more like an additive model so it won't have the responsibility of having to carry an entire product line at first.

Probably a bunch of 3rd party exclusives though like Street Fighter VI and RE4 Remake and FF7 Remake I can see being announced for it.

Too soon for the Switch 2. They’ll most likely launch a Switch pro with Zelda as a definitive last iteration of the console kind of the like the 2DS XL’s. 

Metroid Prime 4 will probably be the cross Gen launch title in addition to Mario Kart 9. Switch 2 probably won’t hit the shelves until 2024, or early 2025. 

Not too soon at all. The Switch is currently in its 6th year while new hardware launches about every 5 years on average.  

Switch Pro? Another one? That already manifested in 2021 as the Switch OLED.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Paatar said:
Soundwave said:

Too soon for the Switch 2. They’ll most likely launch a Switch pro with Zelda as a definitive last iteration of the console kind of the like the 2DS XL’s. 

Metroid Prime 4 will probably be the cross Gen launch title in addition to Mario Kart 9. Switch 2 probably won’t hit the shelves until 2024, or early 2025. 

Maybe this is why we are getting practically no footage of either of them