By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nvidia employee acknowledges Tegra 239 SoC rumored to be powering Switch 2

Makes no sense for Nintendo release new hardware, the Switch is selling too well.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

Makes no sense for Nintendo release new hardware, the Switch is selling too well.

If you order 5 pizzas for a dinner party, but then you decide at the last minute you don't want to have pizza that night but move the party to the following week, you're still paying for the pizzas you already ordered. The pizza place doesn't care if you need them or not. 

In this case the pizza place is Nvidia, lol. 

"New hardware" doesn't neccessarily have to mean the old hardware is replaced/thrown out/thrown into the discount bin any more either. The "new" Switch can just be another product in the Switch family of products. The days of one hardware completely shutting down the previous hardware are starting to go away any how. It's fall 2022 (two years since the PS5 launched) and the big flag ship Sony title for the fall (God of War Ragnarok) is still coming out on PS4. 2023 big ticket releases like Resident Evil 4 Remake are still coming out on PS4. 

Don't think the OLED Switch model and Switch Lite are going anywhere and they will be getting the top Nintendo releases for several more years past 2023. 

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

If you order 5 pizzas for a dinner party, but then you decide at the last minute you don't want to have pizza that night but move the party to the following week, you're still paying for the pizzas you already ordered. The pizza place doesn't care if you need them or not. 

"New hardware" doesn't neccessarily have to mean the old hardware is replaced/thrown out/thrown into the discount bin any more either. The "new" Switch can just be another product in the Switch family of products. The days of one hardware completely shutting down the previous hardware are starting to go away any how. It's fall 2022 (two years since the PS5 launched) and the big flag ship Sony title for the fall (God of War Ragnarok) is still coming out on PS4. 2023 big ticket releases like Resident Evil 4 Remake are still coming out on PS4. 

Don't think the OLED Switch model and Switch Lite are going anywhere and they will be getting the top Nintendo releases for several more years past 2023. 

Correct.  Just because I bought something doesn't mean I have to use it.  And I'm guessing via Switch sales Nvidia is selling more than expected.  I would suspect their relationship with Nintendo is quite nice at the moment.  

Personally I am happy to upgrade...  but I've been told every year for 3 years now...  a new Switch is coming...  still waiting.  Will there ever be a point where people accept there isn't a Switch Pro?

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

Correct.  Just because I bought something doesn't mean I have to use it.  And I'm guessing via Switch sales Nvidia is selling more than expected.  I would suspect their relationship with Nintendo is quite nice at the moment.  

Personally I am happy to upgrade...  but I've been told every year for 3 years now...  a new Switch is coming...  still waiting.  Will there ever be a point where people accept there isn't a Switch Pro?

And considering Nvidia is making millions off the Switch by selling almost 10 year old chips, I have no doubt they're beyond happy lol.

What has been consistent is getting a Switch revision every other year. 2017-launch Switch. 2019-Switch Lite. 2021-Switch OLED. With that consistent kind of releases, I wouldn't be surprised if we do get another hardware revision in 2023. Before this rumor, I was kind of expecting a Switch Lite OLED in 2023

gtotheunit91 said:
Chrkeller said:

And considering Nvidia is making millions off the Switch by selling almost 10 year old chips, I have no doubt they're beyond happy lol.

What has been consistent is getting a Switch revision every other year. 2017-launch Switch. 2019-Switch Lite. 2021-Switch OLED. With that consistent kind of releases, I wouldn't be surprised if we do get another hardware revision in 2023. Before this rumor, I was kind of expecting a Switch Lite OLED in 2023

For sure I could see a revision...  I just don't think it will be the 4k DSLL 60 fps Pro some people are expecting.  

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

I don't think that's how chip agreements work. Nintendo either has to pay Nvidia upfront for all the R&D cost of this chip or probably even more likely there is a royalty fee per unit that Nvidia expects, meaning Nintendo has to start selling a certain number of these chips possibly in 2023 as an pre-agreed upon price per unit. 

Because Nvidia has their own internal profit targets they want to hit and they have planned for, just saying "well we don't need the chip so we won't pay you for another year or two" isn't likely going to fly. If you paint someone's house because you're expecting that money to help pay your bills for the month, I don't think you're going to be OK with the person paying you trying to say "well I actually didn't need my house painted this month so let me pay you next year". 

Chrkeller said:
gtotheunit91 said:

For sure I could see a revision...  I just don't think it will be the 4k DSLL 60 fps Pro some people are expecting.  

I have no doubt that a 4K60fps Switch with DLSS capabilities is being worked on. Console manufacturers are always working on the "next-gen" console pretty soon after the launch of a new system, but Nintendo is going to keep that as close to the chest as possible until they have to. Possibly a pre-existing agreement between Nintendo and Nvidia. 

Nintendo won't even drop the price of the original Switch. Why should we expect they're imminently going to release a Pro or Switch 2 anytime soon? If there's one thing I've learned throughout my gaming life, is that Nintendo is almost never going to do what we expect them to do. 

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

I don't think that's how chip agreements work. Nintendo either has to pay Nvidia upfront for all the R&D cost of this chip or probably even more likely there is a royalty fee per unit that Nvidia expects, meaning Nintendo has to start selling a certain number of these chips possibly in 2023 as an pre-agreed upon price per unit. 

Because Nvidia has their own internal profit targets they want to hit and they have planned for, just saying "well we don't need the chip so we won't pay you for another year or two" isn't likely going to fly. If you paint someone's house because you're expecting that money to help pay your bills for the month, I don't think you're going to be OK with the person paying you trying to say "well I actually didn't need my house painted this month so let me pay you next year". 

Given the 300k units of 10 year chips Nvidia is selling weekly...  I'm sure they are willing to work with Nintendo.  Look I hope to be wrong.  I am ready for a major Switch upgrade.  I just don't believe it is happening anytime soon.  

gtotheunit91 said:
Chrkeller said:

I have no doubt that a 4K60fps Switch with DLSS capabilities is being worked on. Console manufacturers are always working on the "next-gen" console pretty soon after the launch of a new system, but Nintendo is going to keep that as close to the chest as possible until they have to. Possibly a pre-existing agreement between Nintendo and Nvidia. 

Nintendo won't even drop the price of the original Switch. Why should we expect they're imminently going to release a Pro or Switch 2 anytime soon? If there's one thing I've learned throughout my gaming life, is that Nintendo is almost never going to do what we expect them to do. 

They can charge more than $350 for any new model, so that probably works fine for Nintendo. 

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

Given the 300k units of 10 year chips Nvidia is selling weekly...  I'm sure they are willing to work with Nintendo.  Look I hope to be wrong.  I am ready for a major Switch upgrade.  I just don't believe it is happening anytime soon.  

From Nvidia's POV, they likely gave Nintendo a sweetheart deal on that Tegra X1 design because the X1 was a relative failure based on their expectations of it being in many kinds of tablets and devices like that. 

So likely they have more incentive to want this newer chip to become the standard sooner than later because they likely will make more money off this one. 

If it makes you feel better I don't think Nintendo themselves will be moving projects from the current Switch any time soon, so at best for Nintendo games all this new model is going to give is a resolution bump with maybe some RT added on if Nintendo feels like it.