By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nvidia employee acknowledges Tegra 239 SoC rumored to be powering Switch 2

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Using Ampere based GPU, also Cortex A-78!?
This shit will be expensive, not looking like Ninty stuff.

Take it with a grain of salt. As always.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Mar1217 said:

And as usual, the most important part will be the use of DLSS 2.2 features.

100% this! We may actually be able to see up to 4k 60fps for most Nintendo games with DLSS 2.2! Minus major titles like TLoZ Tears of the Kingdom, for example.

Freaking DLSS 3.0 is giving games like Spider-Man Remastered 200+ fps with ray tracing on. So if this is all true, we're in for a major upgrade!

gtotheunit91 said:
Mar1217 said:

And as usual, the most important part will be the use of DLSS 2.2 features.

100% this! We may actually be able to see up to 4k 60fps for most Nintendo games with DLSS 2.2! Minus major titles like TLoZ Tears of the Kingdom, for example.

Freaking DLSS 3.0 is giving games like Spider-Man Remastered 200+ fps with ray tracing on. So if this is all true, we're in for a major upgrade!

Since it's Ampere based, most likely the Switch 2 won't get DLSS 3 due to the amount of computation DLSS 3 requires as DLSS 3 is now adding frames instead of upscaling pixels.

So unless what they are incorporating are the tensor cores from Lovelace but I doubt it. But that doesn't mean it's a bad thing though. Having DLSS 2 on a device like the Switch will give it a secret sauce like no other!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

I think this will launch with Zelda: TotK next May and it is a successor hardware, but Nintendo won't be migrating from the current Switch ecosystem any time soon. It'll just get the same Nintendo Switch games from Nintendo but in 4K maybe with some added effects (ray tracing or better lighting).

They likely ordered development on this chip years ago, like 2019 if not sooner, so it's simply finished or close to finished.

It'll be $399.99 minimum too I think, since I don't think the OG Switch is going anywhere, this will initially just be more like an additive model so it won't have the responsibility of having to carry an entire product line at first.

Probably a bunch of 3rd party exclusives though like Street Fighter VI and RE4 Remake and FF7 Remake I can see being announced for it.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 21 September 2022

I've watched a few videos, DLSS looks amazing, cool tech. Given I'm not a tech person, if this is true (which is may not be), what does this mean for backwards compatability?

Chrkeller said:

I've watched a few videos, DLSS looks amazing, cool tech. Given I'm not a tech person, if this is true (which is may not be), what does this mean for backwards compatability?

Games will just look and run better :) 

Soundwave said:

I think this will launch with Zelda: TotK next May and it is a successor hardware, but Nintendo won't be migrating from the current Switch ecosystem any time soon. It'll just get the same Nintendo Switch games from Nintendo but in 4K maybe with some added effects (ray tracing or better lighting).

They likely ordered development on this chip years ago, like 2019 if not sooner, so it's simply finished or close to finished.

It'll be $399.99 minimum too I think, since I don't think the OG Switch is going anywhere, this will initially just be more like an additive model so it won't have the responsibility of having to carry an entire product line at first.

Probably a bunch of 3rd party exclusives though like Street Fighter VI and RE4 Remake and FF7 Remake I can see being announced for it.

Too soon for the Switch 2. They’ll most likely launch a Switch pro with Zelda as a definitive last iteration of the console kind of the like the 2DS XL’s. 

Metroid Prime 4 will probably be the cross Gen launch title in addition to Mario Kart 9. Switch 2 probably won’t hit the shelves until 2024, or early 2025. 

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Paatar said:
Soundwave said:

Too soon for the Switch 2. They’ll most likely launch a Switch pro with Zelda as a definitive last iteration of the console kind of the like the 2DS XL’s. 

Metroid Prime 4 will probably be the cross Gen launch title in addition to Mario Kart 9. Switch 2 probably won’t hit the shelves until 2024, or early 2025. 

Ordering new hardware isn't like going into a drive through and just picking out a hamburger and fries. It takes years of development, Nintendo likely greenlit development on this chip with Nvidia in 2019 if not sooner than that even. And that makes perfect sense, if you're sitting in 2019, you're presuming a 6 year product cycle and have no idea that COVID is coming or a chip shortage is happening, you would assume 2023 would be the time you need a new chip because that's exactly the same time frame even the successful DS and Wii needed new hardware. 

So it just happens to be ready probably by now, and there likely is no benefit to Nintendo to just sit on the hardware. They may even be under a contractual agreeement that they have to ship XYZ number of units because Nvidia is expecting to be paid per unit some level or royalty fee beginning in 2023. Nvidia doesn't work for free and certainly isn't supplying several years of R&D to Nintendo in a "just pay me when you feel like it" fashion. 

I don't think Switch-Super Switch will be a traditional console transition in that I don't think one hardware is going to just suddenly stop. I can even see Mario Kart 9 being cross-gen, you'll just get it in 4K maybe with some ray tracing turned on for Super Switch (Switch 2). The Switch userbase is too big for Nintendo to want to go back to something with only 10-20-30 million users for a while. They'll likely just have a very, very long cross gen period and let 3rd parties make exclusives if they want, but I suspect all major Switch titles for a long while will still work on the OG Switch. Which really isn't that different from what Sony and MS are doing, it's almost 2 years into the PS5/XSX product cycle and there's virtually no exclusives. It even looks like GTAVI may be cross gen. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 21 September 2022