By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does the Steam Deck REALLY Destroy the Switch?

I find this hard to convince. I mean, don't get me wrong here, it's a powerful handheld PC, but i have some dumbest questions in the universe here.

Does Steam Deck have physical cartridge? Can i sell my physical Steam games at good price?

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

Hmm, I probably should say also: I did consider the SteamDeck. I do like my toys that make lights and sound. But I didn't consider it for long. Because - SteamDeck actually is missing an important part of the appeal of Switch: playing in docked mode.

That can be fixed for less than $13 or €13:

An USB-C-HDMI cable + a wireless bluetooth controller ain't more expensive than a Switch Pro controller without a cable.

Or if you also want additional ethernet and USB ports for less than 20 bucks:

Less demanding games (f.e. many indie games and point&click adventures) can be played in (native or upscaled) 4K with these cables; the Switch dock still limits to 1080p output.

Last edited by Conina - on 03 September 2022

Conina said:
Mnementh said:

Hmm, I probably should say also: I did consider the SteamDeck. I do like my toys that make lights and sound. But I didn't consider it for long. Because - SteamDeck actually is missing an important part of the appeal of Switch: playing in docked mode.

An USB-C-HDMI cable + a wireless bluetooth controller ain't more expensive than a Switch Pro controller without a cable.

Ok, not an out-of-the-box solution, but a solution. The question remains: who is it appealing to? I get there are some. But everyone thinking Switch is selling so much more based on the Nintendo brand power which propelled the WiiU in the stratosphere is lying to themself. Maybe it is not what made the decision for me. But something is it, which leads to better perceived value for the customers. And I don't think the "hardcore" gamers find a solution here, because hardcore gamers never made up a base of 100M.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

Maybe it is not what made the decision for me. But something is it, which leads to better perceived value for the customers. And I don't think the "hardcore" gamers find a solution here, because hardcore gamers never made up a base of 100M.

A solution for what problem exactly?

It doesn't make a difference for Steam Deck owners if the Steam Deck sells 1M, 10M or 100M units. The Steam Deck doesn't need special versions of games, it can use the normal PC versions. Thousands of games* are already compatible and the number of good games that run well on the hardware will always go up.

For WiiU and Vita owners the low hardware sales were a problem, since they needed WiiU- or Vita-versions of games.

*(tens of thousands if we include the PC gamaes positively tested by others than Valve + emulation)

Last edited by Conina - on 03 September 2022

Chrkeller said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Steam Deck have Steam library (and any PC store as well). It's better than any console in terms of software 

In your opinion.  I'll personally take Mario, metroid and zelda over PC games.  Nintendo still, imho, has the best software in the industry.

That's such a weird goalpost to shift, you do realise there are more games out there than just Nintendo first party, and plenty out there that are adored by many, as well as having won awards themselves?.

There are games on the Deck that are also on Switch, so what's your point about Software beyond that?. If you're going to pin-point focus on just 1st party than you're entering subjective territory, and this thread isn't about just 1st party.

OT:

I knew this thread wasn't going to go well, given OP's history, but at the same time I'm still surprised at how some folks are again and again, showing up and still being utterly clueless on PC gaming of today, and still think it's stuck in the 2000's, like can some of ya'll just not willingly act so stuck in the past?

Last edited by Chazore - on 03 September 2022

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Pemalite said:

Not really. You can reduce the Steamdecks refresh rate, clockrate, framerate, voltage and obtain:

1) Still better performance than the Switch.
2) Better battery life than the Switch.

You can limit the Steam Decks power to 3w (Much lower than the Switch, plus Steamdeck has a 20-25% larger battery) and get 5+ hours of Portal 2.

Plus... Unlike the Switch, you can also get 4+ hours of GTA 5. One of the best selling games of all time.

You can argue that x86 is CISC and ARM is RISC... But both have basically converged at this point, it all comes down to architecture and design goals... AMD's Ryzen APU's can hit some extremely low TDP's and beat the pants off Tegra in every single way... That includes weight, heat and battery.

Because most people want to play gta5 on handheld for 4-5 hours.  Yea I'm not seeing it.

But at least you have the option. Good thing the Steamdeck has a larger library than the Switch...

Kakadu18 said:

How many hours of Portal 2 do you get on the Switch?

And isn't the appeal of the Steam Deck appart from emulation being able to play games in handheld that can't run on Switch? You know, demanding games, where the Steam Deck's battery runs out after just two or so hours.

Some people get 6 hours with Portal 2... With some people managing to push towards 8 hours with some decent tweaking.

The Steamdeck has games that span 30 or more years... Obviously the games you want to run is up to personal choice.

Soundwave said:

I don't know how big of a seller the Steam Deck could be but I'd like to see them have store distribution in Best Buy and Game Stop at least, right now they can't even keep up with demand online though.

It's a nice product but I would probably wait for Steam Deck 2. I will say for a bigger device it's surprisingly comfortable to hold and use.

PC is basically purely digital. Has been for decades. And you get to bring your games library to any and all PC devices you own.

QUAKECore89 said:

Does Steam Deck have physical cartridge? Can i sell my physical Steam games at good price?

No. And selling your Steam games (Aka account) is against the ToS.

Conina said:
Mnementh said:

Less demanding games (f.e. many indie games and point&click adventures) can be played in (native or upscaled) 4K with these cables; the Switch dock still limits to 1080p output.

I just stream it over my Wifi network with it's 3Gbps wifi speeds... Bugger the cables.
I can also throw it up on any compatible display that way too, don't need to move the dock around and recable everything.

Conina said:

It doesn't make a difference for Steam Deck owners if the Steam Deck sells 1M, 10M or 100M units. The Steam Deck doesn't need special versions of games, it can use the normal PC versions. Thousands of games* are already compatible and the number of good games that run well on the hardware will always go up.

For WiiU and Vita owners the low hardware sales were a problem, since they needed WiiU- or Vita-versions of games.

*(tens of thousands if we include the PC gamaes positively tested by others than Valve + emulation)

It was a bigger problem with the WiiU as it ended up with a very insignificant games library in the end... Which also took years to build up... And which got ported to it's successor console and sold at full price again.

Steam library had thousands of games on it's first day of release and you didn't have to pay a cent extra if you already bought those games for a prior platform.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Conina said:
Mnementh said:

Maybe it is not what made the decision for me. But something is it, which leads to better perceived value for the customers. And I don't think the "hardcore" gamers find a solution here, because hardcore gamers never made up a base of 100M.

The SteamDeck is a good solution for some people, no question about that. But I don't argue that. I argue the point made in the video that the Switch sells more because of brand-power and legacy. I argue the notion, that Switch selling more than SteamDeck is somehow unfair or due to secondary concerns. No, for most people Switch is objectively the better system, it delivers them more value. As interests are different there are surely some for which this is the other way around, no question.

I also shared my personal reasoning. And for me personally I don't even need the HDMI-cable as I already have a PC playing the Steam-games. So it is down to the mobile qualities, which as I mentioned are lacking. If for other people it is different, good for them, get that SteamDeck. But if that still are not many people, don't assume that the other consumers just made decisions that are bad for them personally.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Conina said:
Mnementh said:

Because I want a bunch of shit hanging out of it on the go. Like an Apple product

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Because I want a bunch of shit hanging out of it on the go. Like an Apple product

Is your Switch dock shit hanging out of your Switch on the go?

Chazore said:
Chrkeller said:

In your opinion.  I'll personally take Mario, metroid and zelda over PC games.  Nintendo still, imho, has the best software in the industry.

That's such a weird goalpost to shift, you do realise there are more games out there than just Nintendo first party, and plenty out there that are adored by many, as well as having won awards themselves?.

There are games on the Deck that are also on Switch, so what's your point about Software beyond that?. If you're going to pin-point focus on just 1st party than you're entering subjective territory, and this thread isn't about just 1st party.

OT:

I knew this thread wasn't going to go well, given OP's history, but at the same time I'm still surprised at how some folks are again and again, showing up and still being utterly clueless on PC gaming of today, and still think it's stuck in the 2000's, like can some of ya'll just not willingly act so stuck in the past?

I'm fully aware and don't take issue with anybody who prefers PC over Nintendo.  I was just stating my personal opinion.  Nothing more.  Am I not entitled to my preferences?

For me the Steam Deck doesn't (legally) play Nintendo games.  As for 3rd party, I'll stick with my ps5.  Not too mention the ps5 has a number of exclusives as well.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 03 September 2022

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED