By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does the Steam Deck REALLY Destroy the Switch?

Conina said:
Leynos said:

Because I want a bunch of shit hanging out of it on the go. Like an Apple product

Is your Switch dock shit hanging out of your Switch on the go?

What you posted is not real physical support otherwise my Master System counts as a physical game by itself. I have real physical games on the go. I will never support a digital only dedicated gaming system. They're useless. No use even trying to convince me no matter what awful attitude you like pulling for your precious brick.

Last edited by Leynos - on 03 September 2022

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

The Steam Deck seems a fine product and hope it becomes cause for concern for Nintendo. I don't want Nintendo to get lazy or overly confident. Nintendo should always be striving to make their product as appealing as possible.

In specs of course. That's like asking if my new pc destroy ps4 pro or something. Given the timing of the Steam Deck release, the more apt comparison will be to the next gen Switch. In terms of sales and market impact there's no comparison.

This is another hot-take thread that got the attention it was seeking.

Mnementh said:

I argue the notion, that Switch selling more than SteamDeck is somehow unfair or due to secondary concerns. No, for most people Switch is objectively the better system, it delivers them more value

Except... it's not, because you are comparing fundamentally distinct products 

Steamdeck is a portable PC, it's not worldwide available that still having a limited queue for purchases because Valve can't produce as many machines as they want. It's not a mass market product, it's a product with restricted rollout and with a bunch of substitutes 

To explain better, I'll write a story

Let's say a jewelry store is selling a line of expensive rings with limited number of copies with a diamond inside of it. If someone can't get that piece of jewelry, what this people will do? Probably buy another ring in other store, or other piece of jewelry altogether. The point is, this person won't be out of options

It doesn't mean that specific diamond ring doesn't have a tons of value (more value than let's say a Ruby or Emerald Ring), it's just that they won't pass for the hurdle to get one when they have a very high of stores selling other rings that will serve exactly the same purpose, many of them just as good as this one they are missing  

Consoles are fixed products that are sold in mass market for years. The reason why they accumulate high sales is because of that. PCs have much shorter shelve life are and quickly replaced buy new models, hence a PC model will never sell as much as a console. 

If Switch gets out of print tomorrow, what's are my (console) options? There are two, and there is wait, you wait a couple of weeks and get your Switch

That's what is happening with PS5, for instance though is a much smaller scale. Imagine if instead of just Series XS there was at least 20 different hardware manufacturers selling a system that could play EXACTLY the same games of PS5, how much do you think PS5 sales would have collapsed by now? 

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Conina said:

Is your Switch dock shit hanging out of your Switch on the go?

What you posted is not real physical support otherwise my Master System counts as a physical game by itself. I have real physical games on the go. I will never support a digital only dedicated gaming system. They're useless. No use even trying to convince me no matter what awful attitude you like pulling for your precious brick.

What are you talking about?

I gave a solution for "docking" the PC handheld AT HOME for those people who want to connect the Steam Deck with their TV or monitor AT HOME

Then you answered: "Because I want a bunch of shit hanging out of it on the go. Like an Apple product"

Of course you don't carry that "bunch of shit" around on the go. You don't need that on the go, every necessary input controls (two sticks, front buttons, shoulder buttons, analogue shoulder triggers, back buttons, touchscreen, touchpads) and output devices (display, speakers, headphone jack, bluetooth for wireless audio and wireless video) are already integrated.

You don't need any periphals on the go, they are all optional.

Therefore my comparison with the Steam dock: normal pepole also don't carry the Switch dock with them around, when they are playing their Switch on the go., those periphals stay at home. The Switch and Switch lite also have all necessary input controls and output devices already integrated (although analogue shoulder triggers would be nice).

And your personal problem with digital games is something totally different. Digital only dedicated gaming systems aren't useless, they are just not for YOU. Many people prefer to carry a collection of digital games around instead of physical modules of their games:

• they can't be damaged
  • they can't be stolen
  • they can't be lost
  • you don't have to change modules if you want to play a different game
  • you can carry hundreds of them around without additional space and weight
  • if a microSD-card gets stolen/lost (often together with the devide), you just use a new microSD-card and redownload them.

I'm not trying to convince you to buy or like a Steam deck or digital games. Just stop with your FUD and don't project your own personal preferences to all other gamers!

Last edited by Conina - on 04 September 2022

IcaroRibeiro said:
Mnementh said:

I argue the notion, that Switch selling more than SteamDeck is somehow unfair or due to secondary concerns. No, for most people Switch is objectively the better system, it delivers them more value

Except... it's not, because you are comparing fundamentally distinct products 

Steamdeck is a portable PC, it's not worldwide available that still having a limited queue for purchases because Valve can't produce as many machines as they want. It's not a mass market product, it's a product with restricted rollout and with a bunch of substitutes 

To explain better, I'll write a story

Let's say a jewelry store is selling a line of expensive rings with limited number of copies with a diamond inside of it. If someone can't get that piece of jewelry, what this people will do? Probably buy another ring in other store, or other piece of jewelry altogether. The point is, this person won't be out of options

It doesn't mean that specific diamond ring doesn't have a tons of value (more value than let's say a Ruby or Emerald Ring), it's just that they won't pass for the hurdle to get one when they have a very high of stores selling other rings that will serve exactly the same purpose, many of them just as good as this one they are missing  

Consoles are fixed products that are sold in mass market for years. The reason why they accumulate high sales is because of that. PCs have much shorter shelve life are and quickly replaced buy new models, hence a PC model will never sell as much as a console. 

If Switch gets out of print tomorrow, what's are my (console) options? There are two, and there is wait, you wait a couple of weeks and get your Switch

That's what is happening with PS5, for instance though is a much smaller scale. Imagine if instead of just Series XS there was at least 20 different hardware manufacturers selling a system that could play EXACTLY the same games of PS5, how much do you think PS5 sales would have collapsed by now? 

I don't really get your point. Are you saying that if SteamDeck is available in big enough numbers, it will go on selling 100M? Ok, apparently Valve is improving the production situation according to what they say. So we only have to wait and it soon will gain momentum and outsell Switch, PS5 and XBS. That is easy to check against reality.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 04 September 2022

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Is it true the Stream Dock can only do 1080 60 hz? 4k is limited to 30 hz.

*when hooked to a TV, at least according to an article I read.

Did the Vita Destroy the 3DS?

I mean seriously...we have been here before.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Chrkeller said:

Is it true the Stream Dock can only do 1080 60 hz? 4k is limited to 30 hz.

No. Not with a proper cable/dock and a TV supporting 4K/60 Hz

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tfa6h1/docks_and_4k_60_hz_successes_problems/