By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does the Steam Deck REALLY Destroy the Switch?

Conina said:
Chrkeller said:

Is it true the Stream Dock can only do 1080 60 hz? 4k is limited to 30 hz.

No. Not with a proper cable/dock and a TV supporting 4K/60 Hz

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/tfa6h1/docks_and_4k_60_hz_successes_problems/

Thanks.  I was reading about a specific 3rd party dock.  So it must have been a dock limitation.  Much appreciated for the information.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Except... it's not, because you are comparing fundamentally distinct products 

Steamdeck is a portable PC, it's not worldwide available that still having a limited queue for purchases because Valve can't produce as many machines as they want. It's not a mass market product, it's a product with restricted rollout and with a bunch of substitutes 

To explain better, I'll write a story

Let's say a jewelry store is selling a line of expensive rings with limited number of copies with a diamond inside of it. If someone can't get that piece of jewelry, what this people will do? Probably buy another ring in other store, or other piece of jewelry altogether. The point is, this person won't be out of options

It doesn't mean that specific diamond ring doesn't have a tons of value (more value than let's say a Ruby or Emerald Ring), it's just that they won't pass for the hurdle to get one when they have a very high of stores selling other rings that will serve exactly the same purpose, many of them just as good as this one they are missing  

Consoles are fixed products that are sold in mass market for years. The reason why they accumulate high sales is because of that. PCs have much shorter shelve life are and quickly replaced buy new models, hence a PC model will never sell as much as a console. 

If Switch gets out of print tomorrow, what's are my (console) options? There are two, and there is wait, you wait a couple of weeks and get your Switch

That's what is happening with PS5, for instance though is a much smaller scale. Imagine if instead of just Series XS there was at least 20 different hardware manufacturers selling a system that could play EXACTLY the same games of PS5, how much do you think PS5 sales would have collapsed by now? 

I don't really get your point. Are you saying that if SteamDeck is available in big enough numbers, it will go on selling 100M? Ok, apparently Valve is improving the production situation according to what they say. So we only have to wait and it soon will gain momentum and outsell Switch, PS5 and XBS. That is easy to check against reality.

No, it means Steam Deck will never sell more than a console. It could have Nintendo first party on it and it would still not sold as much as a Switch, because if Steam Deck get all the games released in universe, then other PCs would as well.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Mnementh said:

I don't really get your point. Are you saying that if SteamDeck is available in big enough numbers, it will go on selling 100M? Ok, apparently Valve is improving the production situation according to what they say. So we only have to wait and it soon will gain momentum and outsell Switch, PS5 and XBS. That is easy to check against reality.

No, it means Steam Deck will never sell more than a console. It could have Nintendo first party on it and it would still not sold as much as a Switch, because if Steam Deck get all the games released in universe, then other PCs would as well.

Well, technically - SteamDeck has emulation... so it already has Nintendo first party on it :)

But yeah, that was in part also my point: why would you need a SteamDeck if you have a PC and SteamDeck isn't even that good at being a mobile device.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

But yeah, that was in part also my point: why would you need a SteamDeck if you have a PC

To play PC games on the go. Independent of external displays like TV or monitors. Independant of a table with enough space for your laptop (and preferably also a mouse or gamepad). Independant of a power supply for hours (better battery life than most laptops while playing games). Independent of your seating/standing/laying position... the display is always in front of you. The same comfort handheld consoles are giving.

Mnementh said:

and SteamDeck isn't even that good at being a mobile device.

Besides the pocketablility (which Swtch OLED and the original Switch also don't have) it is a great mobile device.

Better ergonomics than any handheld I had before, good weight distribution, plenty of input options with easily adjustable stick/button-mapping, great performance for its size, awesome performance per watt especially in the TDP range from 3 - 10 watts, 40 fps/40Hz as option to 30 and 60 fps, very good user interface for a handheld, minimal power draw in sleep mode...

Last edited by Conina - on 04 September 2022

Conina said:
Mnementh said:

But yeah, that was in part also my point: why would you need a SteamDeck if you have a PC

To play PC games on the go. Independent of external displays like TV or monitors. Independant of a table with enough space for your laptop (and preferably also a mouse or gamepad). Independant of a power supply for hours (better battery life than most laptops while playing games). Independent of your seating/standing/laying position... the display is always in front of you. The same comfort handheld consoles are giving.

Mnementh said:

and SteamDeck isn't even that good at being a mobile device.

Besides the pocketablility (which Swtch OLED and the original Switch also don't have) it is a great mobile device.

Better ergonomics than any handheld I had before, good weight distribution, plenty of input options with easily adjustable stick/button-mapping, great performance for its size, awesome performance per watt especially in the TDP range from 3 - 10 watts, 40 fps/40Hz as option to 30 and 60 fps, very good user interface for a handheld, minimal power draw in sleep mode...

As I said: I deem 3DS superior in portability to Switch, which I think is already pretty bad in that regard. And I don't know how you all travel, but in trains, airplanes, buses I usually have not too much space to play. I am not even always have a seat, so have to lean against a wallor something. Being able to hold it in one hand at times or quickly fold it closed if needed and as quick make it ready again is a pretty big advantage of the 3DS.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

419-679€ hardware released in 2022 is better and has more features than a 200-350€ hardware released in 2017
I for one am shocked.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve with this video, because whatever it is - it's a weird one.

Mbolibombo said:

419-679€ hardware released in e2022 is better and has more features than a 200-350€ hardware released in 2017
I for one am shocked.

419-€-hardware released in February 2022 is multiple times faster and has more features than a 349€-hardware released in October 2021.

Both with 64 GB internal eMMC  storage + microSD option.

Conina said:
Mbolibombo said:

419-679€ hardware released in e2022 is better and has more features than a 200-350€ hardware released in 2017
I for one am shocked.

419-€-hardware released in February 2022 is multiple times faster and has more features than a 349€-hardware released in October 2021.

Both with 64 GB internal eMMC  storage + microSD option.

You do know that the Switch OLED runs on the same hardware as the OG Switch, right?

If I have to choose, I woild definitely pick steam deck over switch.

All this user does is create intentionally bad videos in the hope to cause controversy to get views. He doesn't even interact in the forum or his own threads, and if he does he's acting like a complete idiot. I'm all for free speech but this is nothing but spam if you ask me.

~User was warned for this post: Pemalite.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 05 September 2022