By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does the Steam Deck REALLY Destroy the Switch?

sethnintendo said:

It's not a PC it's a handheld.

It's a PC and a handheld. "Handheld" describes the formfactor, just like "desktop", "laptop" or "tablet". Or like "home consoles" and "handheld consoles".

sethnintendo said:

Valve has shit support for their past hardware and maybe they'll actually try this time?  Remember the steam machines?  Yea most don't

Please show us the Steam machine which was sold by Valve. They haven't sold that.

But they sold Steam Link (still supported), Valve Index (still supported), Steam controllers (still supported) and Index controllers (still supported).

Every new Steam game can still be mirrored to Steam link hardware (additional to Steeam Link software solutions).
Every new Steam game with controller support can be played with the Steam controller.
Most new Steam games without controller support can still be played with the Steam controller due to community templates and flexible button+stick mappings.
Most new VR games can be played with a Valve Index VR headset and Index controllers.

Last edited by Conina - on 03 September 2022

Around the Network
Conina said:
sethnintendo said:

It's not a PC it's a handheld.

It's a PC and a handheld. "Handheld" describes the formfactor, just like "desktop", "laptop" or "tablet". Or like "home consoles" and "handheld consoles".

sethnintendo said:

Valve has shit support for their past hardware and maybe they'll actually try this time?  Remember the steam machines?  Yea most don't

Please show us the Steam machine which was sold by Valve. They haven't sold that.

But they sold Steam Link (stilll supported), Valve Index (still supported) and Steam controlllers (still supported).

Not going to argue on PC/handheld.  

Yea valve didn't make any steam machines probably because they already knew no one was going to buy them.

Steam link yeah I bought a couple of those and still supported.  They still suck because wifi sucks.   I believe they now support a steam app on smart tvs. 

If you want a free steam link I'll send you mine because it's shit.  Seriously though give me an address and I'll send this pos to you.  I'll even throw in a pos steam controller to you.  That's how much I appreciate their products.  I'm willing to pay shipping to send off their shit products to someone that would appreciate them like you.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 03 September 2022

Bundled and ready to go just give me word.

Of course, the Steam absolutely steamrolls the Switch's specs by a considerable margin. In all fairness, it is about 5 years newer.

In sales, the Switch will absolutely steamroll the Steam Deck by orders of magnitude. The best-case scenario for the Steam Deck seems about 20-25 million units to me. Switch is already well over 110 million. Something that also concerns me about the Steam Deck is the size and massive amount of DRM (and no physical games).

Simply put, the Steam Deck isn't for me. I'll just play the games on something else.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Conina said:
Kakadu18 said:

How many hours of Portal 2 do you get on the Switch?

And isn't the appeal of the Steam Deck appart from emulation being able to play games in handheld that can't run on Switch? You know, demanding games, where the Steam Deck's battery runs out after just two or so hours.

Why don't you tell us how many hours of Portal 2 you get on the Switch?

The appeal of the Steam deck is to play more demanding AND less demanding games AND more demanding games in less demanding settings.

Of course you can choose very high settings for The Witcher 3, which will result in less battery life than on Switch. But you can also run the game in medium settings with better battery life than on Switch and stilll much better quality than on Switch.

On the other end of the scale you can play games like "The Great Ace Attorney" with 3 watts TDP and better battery life than on Switch... same resolution, but better antialiasing.

Or a lot of older AAA games with maxed setting and only 3 - 9 watts which aren't available for Switch (f. e. the 7th gen Tomb Raider games, MGS 5, Titanfall 2, Faalout 3 / New Vegas...).

Bold: Because I haven't played Portal 2 on Switch, but I'm almost 100% certain it lasts longer. I can play low demanding games like that can for 6-8 hours on Switch.

Around the Network

It's a bit of a weird comparison aside from the obvious one that it's a handheld. In terms of power, of course the Deck destroys the switch. And obviously the switch has sold and continues to sell more than the deck. But there's a few reasons for that which makes this not a straight comparison.

One, the deck isn't sitting on shelves unsold. There's a backlog of orders well into the end of the year for steam decks. They're being sold as fast as they can make them.

Two, exclusives aside, the steam deck library is available on literally hundreds of computer configurations across the spectrum of PCs. And it's not even the only handheld PC. If I want to play the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters, I can do so right now on my desktop. Or I could use my wife's laptop. Or I could use any number of different computers that my friends have. Or I can play it on the deck or the Aya Neo or whatever else. If I want to play Metroid Dread, I need to play it on my switch and nothing else (or emulation, which also includes the Deck, but that's another topic).

The Steam Deck was always going to sell less than the Switch. Anybody who though otherwise was kidding themselves. But it's absolutely a success for Valve. It just covers a niche section within a much larger install base.

Chrkeller said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Steam Deck have Steam library (and any PC store as well). It's better than any console in terms of software 

In your opinion.  I'll personally take Mario, metroid and zelda over PC games.  Nintendo still, imho, has the best software in the industry.

I often forgot how delusional and in denial Nintendo fans can be

Paperboy_J said:

It's easy to come out with your own version of something that already exists and make it better. So the Deck is better than the Switch on a technical level, big deal. The Switch paved the way for all these wannabes, so it's still number 1 in my eyes.

If anything, the Deck should feel embarrassed that a five-year-old, technically inferior system is still kicking its butt.

Steam Deck is a version of a PC, not a version of a Switch. Switch didn't paved the way for Steam Deck in any sense of the word

If anything, you should be embarrassed for making clearly fanboyling remarks 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Chrkeller said:

In your opinion.  I'll personally take Mario, metroid and zelda over PC games.  Nintendo still, imho, has the best software in the industry.

I often forgot how delusional and in denial Nintendo fans can be

Or people have different preferences and are entitled to respect on said opinions.  Nintendo has my favorite software, nothing "delusional" about it.  Nothing more than personal preference.  You won't see me giving somebody a hard time for preferences.

Kakadu18 said:

And isn't the appeal of the Steam Deck appart from emulation being able to play games in handheld that can't run on Switch?

The appeal is to play games, mainly your gaming PC battery that you collected for eyes, portable without having to double dip like console makers force us to do every generation. Currently someone who plays let's say Elden Ring, no longer needs to wait 6 years for Switch 2 version to be released, they can play on Steam Deck and will play when Steam Deck revision gets released 

Switch existence or inexistence is irrelevant in this sense. PC is overall the best platform for both indies and smaller budget games, most of them didn't even get console releases for quite sometime and most of them used to be released on PCs first, so historically PC is a good platform for low budget games that runs with low specs just as much as it's a good option for high end games that can't run on consoles