By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PC is bringing us all together!.

gtotheunit91 said:

It definitely feels like PC has become "neutral ground" in the gaming industry. You're not really taking away sales or business from your console because majority of those who buy a console either 1) can't afford a gaming PC 2) don't want to deal with the hassle of troubleshooting when needed and prefer a plug-n-play option or 3) that's just where their friends are and are comfortable with that ecosystem and love the console exclusive games.

Which there's nothing wrong with any of that as we all get to play our favorite games. PC has become a universal hub for games where consoles still give you a reason to opt for them if you prefer. Idk if Nintendo will ever make the jump to PC mainly because of how dependent they are on their consoles selling without the luxury of major conglomerate behind them, but also because they want to do their own thing. Sony and Microsoft primarily love power to their consoles whereas Nintendo loves gimmicks. I hope one day Nintendo can make it work.

And with Discord voice chat coming to Xbox and one day to PlayStation, we're all being more united regardless.

I personally prefer console gaming myself, especially with Nintendo. I never want to see them lose their ability to work independently without needing to deal with Microsoft, Sony, or anybody else.

A big part of this is because when it comes to computing, I am an avowed Mac user. I will never go back to Windows. 

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:
gtotheunit91 said:

It definitely feels like PC has become "neutral ground" in the gaming industry. You're not really taking away sales or business from your console because majority of those who buy a console either 1) can't afford a gaming PC 2) don't want to deal with the hassle of troubleshooting when needed and prefer a plug-n-play option or 3) that's just where their friends are and are comfortable with that ecosystem and love the console exclusive games.

Which there's nothing wrong with any of that as we all get to play our favorite games. PC has become a universal hub for games where consoles still give you a reason to opt for them if you prefer. Idk if Nintendo will ever make the jump to PC mainly because of how dependent they are on their consoles selling without the luxury of major conglomerate behind them, but also because they want to do their own thing. Sony and Microsoft primarily love power to their consoles whereas Nintendo loves gimmicks. I hope one day Nintendo can make it work.

And with Discord voice chat coming to Xbox and one day to PlayStation, we're all being more united regardless.

I personally prefer console gaming myself, especially with Nintendo. I never want to see them lose their ability to work independently without needing to deal with Microsoft, Sony, or anybody else.

A big part of this is because when it comes to computing, I am an avowed Mac user. I will never go back to Windows. 

Same here with Nintendo. I wouldn’t want the console market to be down to just 2. It would be even harder for another competitor to enter the market.

That is something else that’s on the up. Valve are avid fans of Linux and with the success of the Steam Deck, there’s been a lot of interest in gaming on Linux that will only grow. And with Mac, you can already argue some of the biggest games are already natively available on Mac such as League of Legends, Dota 2, and CS:GO, and with Capcom recently announcing Resident Evil Village is coming to Mac, and with the promises of the M2, gaming on Mac is also on the up! Plus, there’s also Xbox Cloud Gaming already available for you to stream tons of games on Safari. 

SanAndreasX said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Same here with Nintendo. I wouldn’t want the console market to be down to just 2. It would be even harder for another competitor to enter the market.

That is something else that’s on the up. Valve are avid fans of Linux and with the success of the Steam Deck, there’s been a lot of interest in gaming on Linux that will only grow. And with Mac, you can already argue some of the biggest games are already natively available on Mac such as League of Legends, Dota 2, and CS:GO, and with Capcom recently announcing Resident Evil Village is coming to Mac, and with the promises of the M2, gaming on Mac is also on the up! Plus, there’s also Xbox Cloud Gaming already available for you to stream tons of games on Safari. 

Yes, PC is pretty great and Sony's moves to release on PC is great! Thank you Sony!

Now all that remains is Nintendo... Do it!

It's great to see Microsoft and Sony release their games on PC. Time for Nintendo to do the same. 

I've almost finished upgrading my PC. I recently upgraded my mobo, CPU, ram, and SSD. All that is left is a new GPU, which I'm waiting for the next gen cards to come out. For now new AAA games I play on console. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
SanAndreasX said:

I'm not really concerned about the Mac gaming scene, TBH. I use Macs knowing full well that gaming isn't a priority for them. Consoles fill my gaming needs just fine. I am curious to see if more companies will support Apple Silicon. Seeing a game like RE Village on Mac is something I never expected. The more ways I have to game and compute with less involvement from Microsoft, the better. 

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 21 July 2022

I had a SNES and a NES Clone. Today I have a PS2 and a 2DS, but since 2010, the PC is my main platform. I think having all your games on one platform, like Steam for example, is much better than having to purchase multiple systems.

I just love how Sony is being nice with us PC gamers. Microsoft too. But sadly, I don't see Nintendo doing the same. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on Steam is still a dream.

As someone who once viewed gaming PCs as a waste of money, I now consider PC the best platform by a very noticeable margin. And a lot of console gamers are starting to feel the same way (provided they can afford a decent gaming PC).

Xbox selling as good as it is despite every 1st party game going PC day and date, and Sony inevitably growing bigger by accessing the PC playerbase with their partial-support, will undoubtedly get Nintendo to consider partly-supporting PC. If it works for Sony, I don't see why it wouldn't work for Nintendo.

Drip feed, monitor the market, and adapt accordingly. Hell, not even MS with its weaker 1st party lineup (so far) and relatively abrupt all out PC support is negatively impacted. I don't know why a lot of people assume Nintendo supporting PC would spell its doom when Series X/S are doing great even with far less unique elements that distinguish them from PC. What does Xbox offer that PC doesn't apart from power per buck?

If it doesn't hurt Xbox with no exclusives, it shouldn't hurt Sony with its timed-exclusives. If it doesn't hurt Sony, it shouldn't hurt Nintendo. There is just no way Nintendo won't attempt to support PC "IF" both MS and Sony see a significant growth in revenue and profits. They'd be leaving too much money on the table.

Sony expects their 1st party software revenue to more than double by 2025, and I think they might. Nintendo won't just look at that increase and act like nothing happened. They will want to access this playerbase as well.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 21 July 2022

I'm always going to be a console gamer because it's cheaper, hassle free and even the difference in fidelity between platforms has become negligible. Not that I have ever really gotten a boner from counting pixels, but there you go.
More money for Sony is always a good thing, Nintendo is missing out because people are emulating anyways.
I just hope that this foray into the PC market will not become so core for Sony that they start getting ideas of becoming a software only company...

Kyuu said:

As someone who once viewed gaming PCs as a waste of money, I now consider PC the best platform by a very noticeable margin. And a lot of console gamers are starting to feel the same way (provided they can afford a decent gaming PC).

Xbox selling as good as it is despite every 1st party game going PC day and date, and Sony inevitably growing bigger by accessing the PC playerbase with their partial-support, will undoubtedly get Nintendo to consider partly-supporting PC. If it works for Sony, I don't see why it wouldn't work for Nintendo.

Drip feed, monitor the market, and adapt accordingly. Hell, not even MS with its weaker 1st party lineup (so far) and relatively abrupt all out PC support is negatively impacted. I don't know why a lot of people assume Nintendo supporting PC would spell its doom when Series X/S are doing great even with far less unique elements that distinguish them from PC. What does Xbox offer that PC doesn't apart from power per buck?

If it doesn't hurt Xbox with no exclusives, it shouldn't hurt Sony with its timed-exclusives. If it doesn't hurt Sony, it shouldn't hurt Nintendo. There is just no way Nintendo won't attempt to support PC "IF" both MS and Sony see a significant growth in revenue and profits. They'd be leaving too much money on the table.

Sony expects their 1st party software revenue to more than double by 2025, and I think they might. Nintendo won't just look at that increase and act like nothing happened. They will want to access this playerbase as well.

I wonder, what made you used to view them as a waste of money?

A reason Nintendo could be negatively impacted more by it is them relying on exclusives a lot more. I would bet that a much higher percentage of Switch owners bought a Switch either entirely or mostly due to the exclusives compared to buyers of Xbox and Playstation so my guess is a bigger portion of people would stop buying Nintendo hardware if they didn't have to and with portable PC gaming getting a lot better lately it wouldn't surprise me if a notable portion of Switch owners would instantly move to buying Nintendo games to play on something like a Steam Deck if that was an option. If Sony loses maybe a few million PS5 sales from this move I could see Nintendo easily losing over a dozen million Switch 2 sales from it.

I would love if they joined Microsoft and Sony though so I hope the negative impact of doing it the way Sony is wouldn't be high enough to make it a bad business decision for them.