By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PC is bringing us all together!.

Kyuu said:

As someone who once viewed gaming PCs as a waste of money, I now consider PC the best platform by a very noticeable margin. And a lot of console gamers are starting to feel the same way (provided they can afford a decent gaming PC).

Xbox selling as good as it is despite every 1st party game going PC day and date, and Sony inevitably growing bigger by accessing the PC playerbase with their partial-support, will undoubtedly get Nintendo to consider partly-supporting PC. If it works for Sony, I don't see why it wouldn't work for Nintendo.

Drip feed, monitor the market, and adapt accordingly. Hell, not even MS with its weaker 1st party lineup (so far) and relatively abrupt all out PC support is negatively impacted. I don't know why a lot of people assume Nintendo supporting PC would spell its doom when Series X/S are doing great even with far less unique elements that distinguish them from PC. What does Xbox offer that PC doesn't apart from power per buck?

If it doesn't hurt Xbox with no exclusives, it shouldn't hurt Sony with its timed-exclusives. If it doesn't hurt Sony, it shouldn't hurt Nintendo. There is just no way Nintendo won't attempt to support PC "IF" both MS and Sony see a significant growth in revenue and profits. They'd be leaving too much money on the table.

Sony expects their 1st party software revenue to more than double by 2025, and I think they might. Nintendo won't just look at that increase and act like nothing happened. They will want to access this playerbase as well.

Most people don't buy high end PCs, they purchase basic ones for working and browsing. AAA western games and few Japanese ones need high end PCs or PS5/Series to run, so people would need to buy a specific hardware to play those

With Nintendo is different. A smartphone can play Animal Crossing. Nintendo software could potentially sells insane amounts if their games were available on PCs because any mid tier PC can play their first party. However, while software sales potential for Nintendo is endless the hardware purchases would decrease drastically because their hardware would become redundant

I can see Nintendo profiting well enough with software compared to hardware (imagine Mario Kart selling over 100 million copies on PC) to justify a change in their business model to become a software publisher akin to Blizzard, but the question here is they clearly don't want to. They pride themselves for being a console maker and as a console maker they need their games out of other platforms. 

Around the Network
m0ney said:

I mean I love my Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3

That thing should belong in a museum. :P Not far from that decade point.. Which is the life I expect out of HEDT chips with it's higher TDP/Core counts. (I.E. i7 990X/3960X)

3.4Ghz/Quad Core+Hyper Threading is pretty much regarded as low-end these days... But if you aren't having issues with it's performance profile, then well done, keep using it, will just make your next upgrade a more significant jump.

Those early Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge/Haswell have certainly stood the test of time in gaming.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Even smartphones can play most of Nintendo games. If they release their games on PC their hardware were would decline severely because even a mid level PC would run their AAA titles better than a Switch, essentially rendering the points 1) and 2) irrelevant and the point 3 will follow suit once the hardware sales decline  

Nintendo would turn into a third party studio after a few years.

Personally speaking I would love to see Nintendo bankrupting and going into a third part publisher for PCs, but it's not realistic. They are too big, have a monopoly of portable market and an even deeper monopoly of japanese market. Currently I can see them releasing a Switch 2 with no hardware upgrades and still selling 20 million+ in Japan as long they keep their first party exclusive

Especially as PC handhelds are very capable devices these days.
Steam Deck is several multiples more powerful than the Switch for instance.

I don't wish to see Nintendo bankrupt, that wouldn't be a good thing for competition and the industry, but I would like for them to compete better on the hardware front and start using the latest and greatest technology when and where they can... And of course, port titles to the PC so we don't need to use emulators... That way they can profit from that too.

Conversely I would like to see Microsoft and Sony enter the portable market again and drive some competition.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

@Norion, IcaroRibeiro

"Waste of money" may be too harsh, but low-mid spec PC's were more than enough for a side gaming platform as far as my needs. My first primary game system was MSX, a home computer with a good library of Japanese games (spiritually a home console). PC was its own thing until around the X360 generation. The majority of games that caught my attention were ported late or poorly or both, or skipped the platform altogether. My low-mid spec PCs were fine for the few Tactical, RTS and FPS exclusives that I valued (MoHAA, Red Alert, Generals, Commandos, etc)

PC today is a complete different beast. It's supported by nearly everyone including MS and Sony. It's much more accessible, much more popular, and much faster (SSD's are revolutionary imo). Long gone are the days where consoles instantly got you into the game vs PC taking forever to load. Even beyond gaming, it's replacing several electronics. The latest PC I got effectively replaced both my PS4 and my $1300 synth. You couldn't do that with an old gaming PC!

Back to the subject of Nintendo supporting PC. If they sense any decline in sales/revenue/profitability (doubtful), they can simply opt out and return to their usual model, problem solved. I'm sure the vast majority of the existing fanbase on Switch will not wait 2-5 years for Nintendo's stuff to come out on PC. And Nintendo doesn't have to port every single title. MK8DX for instance should remain exclusive at least until MK9 is released.

Then there is the issue of shortage. Playstation has been badly screwed up for years (since May~ 2020) and might continue to until early 2024. There's no telling that Switch 2 will not also fail to meet demand for years. The competition over chip parts being at an all time high doesn't help either; demand for everything is too high. Nintendo already expressed concern over their next generational transition. I think shortage will prove an added incentive to support PC to some extent.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 22 July 2022

Kyuu said:

@Norion, IcaroRibeiro

"Waste of money" may be too harsh, but low-mid spec PC's were more than enough for a side gaming platform as far as my needs. My first primary game system was MSX, a home computer with a good library of Japanese games (spiritually a home console). PC was its own thing until around the X360 generation. The majority of games that caught my attention were ported late or poorly or both, or skipped the platform altogether. My low-mid spec PCs were fine for the few Tactical, RTS and FPS exclusives that I valued (MoHAA, Red Alert, Generals, Commandos, etc)

PC today is a complete different beast. It's supported by nearly everyone including MS and Sony. It's much more accessible, much more popular, and much faster (SSD's are revolutionary imo). Long gone are the days where consoles instantly got you into the game vs PC taking forever to load. Even beyond gaming, it's replacing several electronics. The latest PC I got effectively replaced both my PS4 and my $1300 synth. You couldn't do that with an old gaming PC!

Back to the subject of Nintendo supporting PC. If they sense any decline in sales/revenue/profitability (doubtful), they can simply opt out and return to their usual model, problem solved. I'm sure the vast majority of the existing fanbase on Switch will not wait 2-5 years for Nintendo's stuff to come out on PC. And Nintendo doesn't have to port every single title. MK8DX for instance should remain exclusive at least until MK9 is released.

Then there is the issue of shortage. Playstation has been badly screwed up for years (since May~ 2020) and might continue to until early 2024. There's no telling that Switch 2 will not also fail to meet demand for years. The competition over chip parts being at an all time high doesn't help either; demand for everything is too high. Nintendo already expressed concern over their next generational transition. I think shortage will prove an added incentive to support PC to some extent.

It is indeed a different beast now. Even 2016 till now has seen it become significantly better as a platform with Microsoft announcing they'll bring everything, later on Sony starting to port stuff and more and more Japanese developers releasing on it.

That's a good point so the ideal time to try it would be like how Sony started and start porting Switch games about the time the successor comes out so hopefully the higher ups there see the risk as worth taking though a potential obstacle is while PC gaming is growing in Japan it's still not that big so maybe that factor could contribute to them not bothering for now with them focusing on Japan far more than the other two.

IcaroRibeiro said:
gtotheunit91 said:

It definitely feels like PC has become "neutral ground" in the gaming industry. You're not really taking away sales or business from your console because majority of those who buy a console either 1) can't afford a gaming PC 2) don't want to deal with the hassle of troubleshooting when needed and prefer a plug-n-play option or 3) that's just where their friends are and are comfortable with that ecosystem and love the console exclusive games.

Which there's nothing wrong with any of that as we all get to play our favorite games. PC has become a universal hub for games where consoles still give you a reason to opt for them if you prefer. Idk if Nintendo will ever make the jump to PC mainly because of how dependent they are on their consoles selling without the luxury of major conglomerate behind them, but also because they want to do their own thing. Sony and Microsoft primarily love power to their consoles whereas Nintendo loves gimmicks. I hope one day Nintendo can make it work.

And with Discord voice chat coming to Xbox and one day to PlayStation, we're all being more united regardless.

Even smartphones can play most of Nintendo games. If they release their games on PC their hardware were would decline severely because even a mid level PC would run their AAA titles better than a Switch, essentially rendering the points 1) and 2) irrelevant and the point 3 will follow suit once the hardware sales decline  

Nintendo would turn into a third party studio after a few years.

Personally speaking I would love to see Nintendo bankrupting and going into a third part publisher for PCs, but it's not realistic. They are too big, have a monopoly of portable market and an even deeper monopoly of japanese market. Currently I can see them releasing a Switch 2 with no hardware upgrades and still selling 20 million+ in Japan as long they keep their first party exclusive

What? Seeing Nintendo go bankrupt? So you rather see Nintendo go bankrupt so their entire quality standards fall below par and start dishing out games that just aren't great anymore so you can access them on PC? No thanks. Nintendo have their reasons for avoiding PCs, its something that their entire business model doesn't focus around unlike Xbox and Sony which basically are mini PCs and offering very similar games and game mechanics. 

For me, the PC market has created a user space where console branding isn't important. Its become a space where everyone who has invested into a sort of PC can play games across the industry and actually have civil conversations and discuss whats really good or bad about each game without having toxic fanbases following.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 24 July 2022

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

What? Seeing Nintendo go bankrupt? So you rather see Nintendo go bankrupt so their entire quality standards fall below pair and start dishing out games that just aren't great anymore so you can access them on PC?

I don't see why their quality has to decrease. Nintendo games have tighter budgets already.  Nintendo has already showed they can issue many quality titles despite not being successful with their consoles. 

Let's just say I'm willing to not playing Nintendo for a while and would appreciate if they become a publisher instead of a console maker. Will this happen? Doubt, but would like it anyway 

Just need Nintendo to embrace PC and things will be perfect!

IcaroRibeiro said:
Azzanation said:

What? Seeing Nintendo go bankrupt? So you rather see Nintendo go bankrupt so their entire quality standards fall below pair and start dishing out games that just aren't great anymore so you can access them on PC?

I don't see why their quality has to decrease. Nintendo games have tighter budgets already.  Nintendo has already showed they can issue many quality titles despite not being successful with their consoles. 

Let's just say I'm willing to not playing Nintendo for a while and would appreciate if they become a publisher instead of a console maker. Will this happen? Doubt, but would like it anyway 

Their quality will most definitely drop due to the lower budgets and forced time frames to release games to stay afloat. You dont go bankrupt and have billions to spend.

Sega is a primed example of this. Sega themselves make average games ever since they went 3rd party. They are really lucky they own studios that keep Sega valid.

Azzanation said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Their quality will most definitely drop due to the lower budgets and forced time frames to release games to stay afloat. You dont go bankrupt and have billions to spend.

Sega is a primed example of this. Sega themselves make average games ever since they went 3rd party. They are really lucky they own studios that keep Sega valid.

Fair points. That's said I don't think it would be the case for Nintendo, they are like Rockstar and Blizzard. Their games have rock solid sales and stellar cross appeal, they would never become a B-tier third party publisher like Sega. They would easily recover in few years, just release a Mario and a Pokemon on PCs and we know they would hit big again 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Azzanation said:

Fair points. That's said I don't think it would be the case for Nintendo, they are like Rockstar and Blizzard. Their games have rock solid sales and stellar cross appeal, they would never become a B-tier third party publisher like Sega. They would easily recover in few years, just release a Mario and a Pokemon on PCs and we know they would hit big again 

Rockstar and Blizzard also have crazy funding and support for their games.

Im sure Nintendo will eventually put games on PC but its when they are ready. Nintendo is the last of the classic gaming companies and they seem happy sticking to their strenghts for now.