By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PC is bringing us all together!.

Pemalite said:
m0ney said:

I mean I love my Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3

That thing should belong in a museum. :P Not far from that decade point.. Which is the life I expect out of HEDT chips with it's higher TDP/Core counts. (I.E. i7 990X/3960X)

3.4Ghz/Quad Core+Hyper Threading is pretty much regarded as low-end these days... But if you aren't having issues with it's performance profile, then well done, keep using it, will just make your next upgrade a more significant jump.

Those early Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge/Haswell have certainly stood the test of time in gaming.

Of course I'm aware of its age, but it's more than enough for me, I mostly play on PS4 these days. I had a i5-4570 since 2014 and last year upgraded to this Xeon, it has 8 threads vs 4 and is supposedly around 30% faster. I was playing Kingdom Come at that time, a CPU heavy game, and immediately noticed improvement, not so much in framerate but in frame timing or however it is called - you of all know what I'm talking about :)



My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
m0ney said:
Pemalite said:

That thing should belong in a museum. :P Not far from that decade point.. Which is the life I expect out of HEDT chips with it's higher TDP/Core counts. (I.E. i7 990X/3960X)

3.4Ghz/Quad Core+Hyper Threading is pretty much regarded as low-end these days... But if you aren't having issues with it's performance profile, then well done, keep using it, will just make your next upgrade a more significant jump.

Those early Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge/Haswell have certainly stood the test of time in gaming.

Of course I'm aware of its age, but it's more than enough for me, I mostly play on PS4 these days. I had a i5-4570 since 2014 and last year upgraded to this Xeon, it has 8 threads vs 4 and is supposedly around 30% faster. I was playing Kingdom Come at that time, a CPU heavy game, and immediately noticed improvement, not so much in framerate but in frame timing or however it is called - you of all know what I'm talking about :)

Frame pacing.

And absolutely. Those quad-cores without hyper-threading are definitely struggling these days... Even the more modern variants like the 7600K will rapidly show their limitations in newer titles.



--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Azzanation said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Fair points. That's said I don't think it would be the case for Nintendo, they are like Rockstar and Blizzard. Their games have rock solid sales and stellar cross appeal, they would never become a B-tier third party publisher like Sega. They would easily recover in few years, just release a Mario and a Pokemon on PCs and we know they would hit big again 

Rockstar and Blizzard also have crazy funding and support for their games.

Im sure Nintendo will eventually put games on PC but its when they are ready. Nintendo is the last of the classic gaming companies and they seem happy sticking to their strenghts for now.

And I'm sure they will never do at least in my lifetime, not without having their business in serious jeopardy first. But alas, if you have hope you have the right to wait forever. 



IcaroRibeiro said:
Azzanation said:

Rockstar and Blizzard also have crazy funding and support for their games.

Im sure Nintendo will eventually put games on PC but its when they are ready. Nintendo is the last of the classic gaming companies and they seem happy sticking to their strenghts for now.

And I'm sure they will never do at least in my lifetime, not without having their business in serious jeopardy first. But alas, if you have hope you have the right to wait forever. 

I dont have to wait forever because i own a Nintendo Switch. If its really that extreme just buy a Switch. Its not like Nintendo are new to this, they have been following this same method since the 80s.



Azzanation said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

And I'm sure they will never do at least in my lifetime, not without having their business in serious jeopardy first. But alas, if you have hope you have the right to wait forever. 

I dont have to wait forever because i own a Nintendo Switch. If its really that extreme just buy a Switch. Its not like Nintendo are new to this, they have been following this same method since the 80s.

What "extreme" exactly are you talking about? I have a Switch (In fact have purchased 2 so far). I'm doing this because it's pretty obvious they will never release their games on PCs unless they change their business model which will only happens if their core business collapses, which can happen in maybe 20 years in West, but while there is a small island called Japan Nintendo will never change their approach.

I'm more inclined to believe Nintendo is shutting down their business in West if they aren't profitable anymore (as they have done several times with third world countries) and releasing games and hardware only in East Asia with their current business model. 

Nintendo likes to make hardware and they have the right do keep their hardware business. This is their only viable way for them to keep that business running. That's why I don't believe them coming to PCs before bankrupting first

I hope I made myself clear now



Around the Network
Azzanation said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Fair points. That's said I don't think it would be the case for Nintendo, they are like Rockstar and Blizzard. Their games have rock solid sales and stellar cross appeal, they would never become a B-tier third party publisher like Sega. They would easily recover in few years, just release a Mario and a Pokemon on PCs and we know they would hit big again 

Rockstar and Blizzard also have crazy funding and support for their games.

Im sure Nintendo will eventually put games on PC but its when they are ready. Nintendo is the last of the classic gaming companies and they seem happy sticking to their strenghts for now.

Err for real? Nintendos IP's are bigger then anything MS or Sony or blizzard could ever hope for. Im pretty sure if they for instance released a Mario Collection on PC they would be fine, im prettty sure no matter what they do on PC or Mobile they would be fine as their IP's are just that big the biggest in gaming imo.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Azzanation said:

Rockstar and Blizzard also have crazy funding and support for their games.

Im sure Nintendo will eventually put games on PC but its when they are ready. Nintendo is the last of the classic gaming companies and they seem happy sticking to their strenghts for now.

And I'm sure they will never do at least in my lifetime, not without having their business in serious jeopardy first. But alas, if you have hope you have the right to wait forever. 

No need to wait forever as most PC gamers are already playing Nintendo games day and date on PC looking even better then they do on the switch and this has been going on for years with Nintendo and emulation. Why not just take a chunk of that pie and get them sales as PC gamers are playing your games anyways?



zero129 said:

Why not just take a chunk of that pie and get them sales as PC gamers are playing your games anyways?

Sales from PCs have smaller profit margins as the store get come cuts, meanwhile, on their own hardware they get 100% of the revenue. But that's only tangential, as they could solve it making their own stores on PCs and then getting a 100% cut.

The real problem is: Nintendo first party drives their hardware sales, if their games are on PC their hardware sales would decline which means less third party sales on Switch as well. Less third party sales = Less revue. And that's not even saying the profit they will lost from hardware as Nintendo don't sell their hardware at loss 



IcaroRibeiro said:
Azzanation said:

I dont have to wait forever because i own a Nintendo Switch. If its really that extreme just buy a Switch. Its not like Nintendo are new to this, they have been following this same method since the 80s.

What "extreme" exactly are you talking about? I have a Switch (In fact have purchased 2 so far). I'm doing this because it's pretty obvious they will never release their games on PCs unless they change their business model which will only happens if their core business collapses, which can happen in maybe 20 years in West, but while there is a small island called Japan Nintendo will never change their approach.

I'm more inclined to believe Nintendo is shutting down their business in West if they aren't profitable anymore (as they have done several times with third world countries) and releasing games and hardware only in East Asia with their current business model. 

Nintendo likes to make hardware and they have the right do keep their hardware business. This is their only viable way for them to keep that business running. That's why I don't believe them coming to PCs before bankrupting first

I hope I made myself clear now

Nintendo build their consoles around their controllers, they are very different to Xbox and PS who do the exact opposite. This is why Nintendo continue to stay in the hardware business because they push innovation even if its minor like the Gamecube or extreme like the Wii. The moment they cannot innovate anymore will be the days they will most likely start porting their games to PC.

zero129 said:
Azzanation said:

Rockstar and Blizzard also have crazy funding and support for their games.

Im sure Nintendo will eventually put games on PC but its when they are ready. Nintendo is the last of the classic gaming companies and they seem happy sticking to their strenghts for now.

Err for real? Nintendos IP's are bigger then anything MS or Sony or blizzard could ever hope for. Im pretty sure if they for instance released a Mario Collection on PC they would be fine, im prettty sure no matter what they do on PC or Mobile they would be fine as their IP's are just that big the biggest in gaming imo.

I am not sure where you came to that conclusion. I wasn't talking about popularity but than again you can argue Rockstar and Blizzard games are just as popular. My point i was making was that Rockstar and Blizzard games are normally so well made is due to the exceptionally high budgets they invest and that all comes from being successful. If you take the funds away the quality will drop and that's just how business works for AAA games.



IcaroRibeiro said:
zero129 said:

Why not just take a chunk of that pie and get them sales as PC gamers are playing your games anyways?

Sales from PCs have smaller profit margins as the store get come cuts, meanwhile, on their own hardware they get 100% of the revenue. But that's only tangential, as they could solve it making their own stores on PCs and then getting a 100% cut.

The real problem is: Nintendo first party drives their hardware sales, if their games are on PC their hardware sales would decline which means less third party sales on Switch as well. Less third party sales = Less revue. And that's not even saying the profit they will lost from hardware as Nintendo don't sell their hardware at loss 

Your problem seems to be if Nintendo release day and date. They dont need to do that.

They have a wealth of classics going back years that they could easy have on PC.

For instance they could release a Super Mario Classics collection on PC including all the old Mario 2d games. They could then release a New Super Mario Classics, they could release Mario Kart Wii without touching MK8 etc. People would still eat up all them classic games.



Azzanation said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

What "extreme" exactly are you talking about? I have a Switch (In fact have purchased 2 so far). I'm doing this because it's pretty obvious they will never release their games on PCs unless they change their business model which will only happens if their core business collapses, which can happen in maybe 20 years in West, but while there is a small island called Japan Nintendo will never change their approach.

I'm more inclined to believe Nintendo is shutting down their business in West if they aren't profitable anymore (as they have done several times with third world countries) and releasing games and hardware only in East Asia with their current business model. 

Nintendo likes to make hardware and they have the right do keep their hardware business. This is their only viable way for them to keep that business running. That's why I don't believe them coming to PCs before bankrupting first

I hope I made myself clear now

Nintendo build their consoles around their controllers, they are very different to Xbox and PS who do the exact opposite. This is why Nintendo continue to stay in the hardware business because they push innovation even if its minor like the Gamecube or extreme like the Wii. The moment they cannot innovate anymore will be the days they will most likely start porting their games to PC.

zero129 said:

Err for real? Nintendos IP's are bigger then anything MS or Sony or blizzard could ever hope for. Im pretty sure if they for instance released a Mario Collection on PC they would be fine, im prettty sure no matter what they do on PC or Mobile they would be fine as their IP's are just that big the biggest in gaming imo.

I am not sure where you came to that conclusion. I wasn't talking about popularity but than again you can argue Rockstar and Blizzard games are just as popular. My point i was making was that Rockstar and Blizzard games are normally so well made is due to the exceptionally high budgets they invest and that all comes from being successful. If you take the funds away the quality will drop and that's just how business works for AAA games.

Sorry i read your post wrong last night. But why would Nintendo be any different than then say Rockstar or blizzard? why would funds be taking away?, even in Nintendos worse years their games have always been well made and less face it no Nintendo game has the same budgets put into them as say Rockstar. Nintendo games since the Wii have always been at least a gen apart from MS and Sony in terms of GFX.