By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Sony deletes 318 StudioCanal movies from German and Austrian customers' Playstation libraries

Studio Canal Movies Purchased on PlayStation Store Get Deleted Aug. 31

They can't be watched anymore and no refund is being offered to those affected.

"As of August 31, 2022, due to our evolving licensing agreements with content providers, you will no longer be able to view your previously purchased Studio Canal content and it will be removed from your video library.

We greatly appreciate your continued support.

Thank you
PlayStation Store"

More:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/studio-canal-movies-purchased-on-playstation-store-get-deleted-aug-31

______________________________________________________________________________________

All hail the digital content system where owning stuff is a thing of the past and companies don't give a fuck refund.

Around the Network

Can it not be downloaded?

Otter said:

Can it not be downloaded?

Nope, that's the point. They are gone.

"Owning" DRM-secured digital media.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Well that sucks, it's a major downside for DRM secured media. Oh well nothing is permanent except when you have it on a disc or stick/SSD and even than it can easily be made not playable anymore, by either shutting down the service for an online game or via a patch.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

They really need to work on laws allowing ownership beyond the license. I suspect an eventual court case will have to happen in the next 50 years, but not before big companies reap plenty of profits.

Or maybe it is in the terms of use? But that shouldn't be so legally binding.

Farsala said:

They really need to work on laws allowing ownership beyond the license. I suspect an eventual court case will have to happen in the next 50 years, but not before big companies reap plenty of profits.

According to Playstation’s user agreement, when you purchase content from the Playstation Store, all you’re buying is a “personal license to use that Content for private, non-commercial use.” In effect, you “do not own the product.” As per the UA, if the company wished to remove the content from your account, even if you didn’t have a chance to see the content, then they can.

https://gizmodo.com/sony-playstation-studiocanal-1849153124

But I totally agree with your last sentence.

Barozi said:
Farsala said:

According to Playstation’s user agreement, when you purchase content from the Playstation Store, all you’re buying is a “personal license to use that Content for private, non-commercial use.” In effect, you “do not own the product.” As per the UA, if the company wished to remove the content from your account, even if you didn’t have a chance to see the content, then they can.

https://gizmodo.com/sony-playstation-studiocanal-1849153124

But I totally agree with your last sentence.

Yeah kind of nonsense.

I think the laws need to change to either

A: make it completely obvious it is just a license, I am talking like large print on every purchase saying they could remove it within a year if they want to. Perhaps even in the title of the content.

or

B: reformed to actually give you ownership/ refunds

Once again, physical is the only way to trully own stuff.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

and these companies wonder why people continue to pirate. when you make it hard to do it legally, it is really a no brainer what will happen next.