By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Sony deletes 318 StudioCanal movies from German and Austrian customers' Playstation libraries

and these companies wonder why people continue to pirate. when you make it hard to do it legally, it is really a no brainer what will happen next.

Around the Network

This is why piracy exists. This is probably the most anti consumer thing I've ever seen from any company. Not being able to purchase something from a digital store is one thing, but forcefully deleting content your purchased, regardless of what the ToS says, is extremely scummy.

But this is what the industry wants. They don't want you to own anything. This is why having the media in full on a physical medium is so important yet the ease of use and convenience of digital media is quickly overtaking physical.

That's the fun part of digital content. It's yours until the platform holder decides it no longer is.

Barozi said:

According to Playstation’s user agreement, when you purchase content from the Playstation Store, all you’re buying is a “personal license to use that Content for private, non-commercial use.” In effect, you “do not own the product.” As per the UA, if the company wished to remove the content from your account, even if you didn’t have a chance to see the content, then they can.

https://gizmodo.com/sony-playstation-studiocanal-1849153124

This has always been the case for most digital products. Even music and films, you aren't owning the piece of media, you are owning a copy of it on a type of storage, whether this is DVD, CD, Blu-Ray or attached to an account online.

Not saying Sony taking these products offline is right, but seems the blame should be on Canal Studio's side, if they are the ones telling Sony to take them down while they sort licencing agreements.

Last edited by The Fury - on 10 July 2022

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

Not saying Sony taking these products offline is right, but seems the blame should be on Canal Studio's side, if they are the ones telling Sony to take them down while they licencing agreements.

Sony is not without blame either, since Sony is the one that made a poor deal that allows this. Definitely sounds like the main blame should be on Studio Canal though (unless e.g. Sony would charge Studio Canal for watching/downloading those movies, in which case it would be a more difficult situation).

Around the Network

*nervously eyes all my digital content

I hate to always be that guy who says the same thing but... this is why you buy things you like physically. And failing that, why you buy things you can at least download and store on a HDD.

I wish things like this would cause more of a backlash with young people so these companies would stop. But you know it won't. Nothing ever does.

This is just utter bullshit.

Not that I buy movies on Sonys platform but this is the kind of nonsense that ensures that I never buy digital media from them. Personally, the only time I buy digital movies is during deep discounts on Apple TV and even then, I try to buy physical movies instead of digital. Imo Sony should have offered refunds even if it's partial because regardless of who's fault it is... At the end of the day, it is Sonys platform and things like this ensures I continue to not buy movies from them.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

That's why u either buy physical or rent digital. I always rent movies on my xbox and buy the physical copies of the movies that I like due to this stupid laws. 

Farsala said:

Barozi said:

According to Playstation’s user agreement, when you purchase content from the Playstation Store, all you’re buying is a “personal license to use that Content for private, non-commercial use.” In effect, you “do not own the product.” As per the UA, if the company wished to remove the content from your account, even if you didn’t have a chance to see the content, then they can.

https://gizmodo.com/sony-playstation-studiocanal-1849153124

But I totally agree with your last sentence.

Yeah kind of nonsense.

I think the laws need to change to either

A: make it completely obvious it is just a license, I am talking like large print on every purchase saying they could remove it within a year if they want to. Perhaps even in the title of the content.

or

B: reformed to actually give you ownership/ refunds