By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's Success Is Your Greatest Enemy!

Looking back over all my favourite consoles from all manufacturers, not just Nintendo, the vast majority are the successful ones, like the Xbox 360 and PS1.

Not only do consoles that sell well generally attract more third party support, but the reason they sell well in the first place is generally because they offer a robust library of games.

Do companies sometimes get arrogant when they're wildly successful? Yes, indeed they can, but for the most part I find that high selling platforms simply offer more worthwhile software than low selling ones.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 July 2022

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

Around the Network

I understand what you try to say, but calling Nintendo an enemy is something... out of context.

While Nintendo have more success is possible that it becomes more greedy and having more anti-consumist politics... But by other way, this will make Nintendo make more desirable and quality games that only they can do... I believe it should be a balance between these.

Without Nintendo being successful they would cease to exist. I'd rather have some rather lame business decisions that are relatively annoying than not have any of the games that they've made in the last six years.

This place is so unpredictable, I can never tell and just when I figure there probably won't be any replies to come look at, here it is lol

Yes, the Nintendo fandom is heavy here, so I probably should have been a little wiser to that given the "answer to Zelda" stuff, but I do find some of the replies surprisingly depressing (and of course, it's pretty easy to tell who didn't watch or just skipped around in the video).

But I can reply to all the replies in one fell swoop:

If you think that companies being big and successful is ever good for you, you'll always be wrong.  Every single reply defending Nintendo probably hates some combination of Microsoft, or Apple, or Amazon, or Embracer Group, or Facebook, or Tencent, or [insert probably dozens of companies doing things you think are wrong or hate, or that you would not go anywhere near because of].

The appropriate reply in a case like this is to accept the very thing I said in the video: you don't care because you are simply a consumer.  I care, because in large enough numbers, we can keep these companies fighting each other to our benefit.  At least, that's my hope.  No one company should be sitting at the top, at least not comfortably.  That rug should always be pull-able, by us, the people.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:

This place is so unpredictable, I can never tell and just when I figure there probably won't be any replies to come look at, here it is lol

Yes, the Nintendo fandom is heavy here, so I probably should have been a little wiser to that given the "answer to Zelda" stuff, but I do find some of the replies surprisingly depressing (and of course, it's pretty easy to tell who didn't watch or just skipped around in the video).

If you think that companies being big and successful is ever good for you, you'll always be wrong.  Every single reply defending Nintendo probably hates some combination of Microsoft, or Apple, or Amazon, or Embracer Group, or Facebook, or Tencent, or [insert probably dozens of companies doing things you think are wrong or hate, or that you would not go anywhere near because of].

The appropriate reply in a case like this is to accept the very thing I said in the video: you don't care because you are simply a consumer.  I care, because in large enough numbers, we can keep these companies fighting each other to our benefit.  At least, that's my hope.  No one company should be sitting at the top, at least not comfortably.  That rug should always be pull-able, by us, the people.

Yes, I agree with this.

Around the Network
ZyroXZ2 said:

That's true.

ZyroXZ2 said:

I don't disagree with all your points, but I am not wrong about Nintendo's success with the Switch benefitting me.

Right now, I am practically drowning in great games for my Switch, to the point where I am shelving some for next year as I simply don't have time to play them all, and that is down to the system being so massively successful that it is worthwhile for third parties to bring their games to it.

I do not support them blindly or unconditionally. If they do what I like, I support that with my money, if they don't, then I don't. Right now, what they're doing is good for me, so I'm happy, it's as simple as that.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 July 2022

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

ZyroXZ2 said:

This is straight up false. If you really like a product, the company being successful with it is a good thing for you (provided it doesn't impact you in a significantly negative way). Companies HAVE to be successful to, well, succeed. Yeah, a ton of companies do awful things that I don't like. That isn't because the success of their product itself is the problem, but the overwhelming amount of control we allow these companies to have from a political standpoint. Rules and regulations are not created by not purchasing products, but by being an active participant in your government. 

Companies will only keep "fighting each other for our benefit" if they find success. So suggesting that success is always bad is just...ridiculous. Without success you get Sega or, worse, Atari. 

Also, Nintendo isn't sitting at the top comfortably, and they know that. 

Edit: I think the best example I can think of right now for how a companies success can be beneficial is YouTube. Without YouTube's success you literally wouldn't be doing what you are doing right now. 

"No one company should be sitting at the top, at least not comfortably. That rug should always be pull-able, by us, the people."

Really odd thread to point out 5th grade economics.

Nintendo successful or not makes no difference. They continue to strive by their standards and visions.