By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's Success Is Your Greatest Enemy!

>Man makes dumb clickbait title
>Everyone gives criticism pointing out how dumb it is
>Man gets assblasted and writes a novel in response, that despite its length still barely touches on their actual criticism.
Lol, never change internet.

Around the Network
psychicscubadiver said:

>Man gets assblasted and writes a novel in response, that despite its length still barely touches on their actual criticism.

Worse there was some heavy intellectual slight of hand by using a vaguely populist argument 'the consumers should always be able to pull the rug' and overtly pro capitalist arguments praising 'competition'. 

Competition can be good and can be a bad thing. For example, Netflix. Netflix had a dominant position and had all the content I wanted to see = I needed only one subscription to see what I wanted. Now I have to pay multiple subscription and Netflix has to raise their price because they don't have the deep pockets of Disney or Amazon. 

Competition is not a magical word that fixes every problem. A dominant position can allow a company to take creative risks. Some companies thrive when they find success, others become greedy. 

It is as if, it is more complicated than "Success is bad for consumers" 

Nostaldub said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Worse there was some heavy intellectual slight of hand by using a vaguely populist argument 'the consumers should always be able to pull the rug' and overtly pro capitalist arguments praising 'competition'. 

Competition can be good and can be a bad thing. For example, Netflix. Netflix had a dominant position and had all the content I wanted to see = I needed only one subscription to see what I wanted. Now I have to pay multiple subscription and Netflix has to raise their price because they don't have the deep pockets of Disney or Amazon. 

Competition is not a magical word that fixes every problem. A dominant position can allow a company to take creative risks. Some companies thrive when they find success, others become greedy. 

It is as if, it is more complicated than "Success is bad for consumers" 

Not to mention that the single biggest competitor for Nintendo is people not playing Nintendo games. 

There are some people like those in this forum who are devoted enough that they're always going to buy some kind of video game no matter what. But for the majority of people video games aren't an essential. And if the number one company isn't putting out stuff they like, they'll just stop playing.

The only situation where there is something even close to monopoly power is with NSOnline, because they're restricting access to a key feature for a product people already paid for. But, aside from that, the argument just doesn't hold water. Even if Nintendo is on top with 100 million consoles sold, they'd rather sell 120. If those 120 million people are buying 10 games each, Nintendo would rather they each buy 12 games.

In a world where people were each required to buy one and only one game console, and were required to buy a set number of games, then the argument might work. But in the real world, even there was no competition, Nintendo would stand to lose or gain hundreds of millions of dollars based on their decisions. No matter how much money they make, they're gonna want more.

Far too deep into my own ass”: The Thread.

Also, being successful and having strong competition are not mutually exclusive.

The SNES for instance was successful, but faced a powerful rival in the Megadrive.
The Switch likewise has to contend with a gaming market arguably more diverse and competitive than ever before, with everything from phones vying for people's playtime in the portable space to Sony and MS deeply entrenched in the home console sector.

Nintendo have had to fight tooth and nail to come back from the disaster of the Wii U, and they've done so by making a great system with something for just about everyone and a ton of great content in both the first and third party department. Consumers are rewarding Nintendo with sales and success because they have, by and large, provided us with a proposition that serves us well.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 July 2022

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

Around the Network

More of these threads, please.

Only in the sense all capitalism is my enemy. Nintendo is not special. They are just another corporation

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I regret watching that nonsense of a video

Frankly, the greatest harm Nintendo's success with the Switch has done to me is how much it has emptied my wallet with all these awesome games I want to play.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

curl-6 said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

This place is so unpredictable, I can never tell and just when I figure there probably won't be any replies to come look at, here it is lol

Yes, the Nintendo fandom is heavy here, so I probably should have been a little wiser to that given the "answer to Zelda" stuff, but I do find some of the replies surprisingly depressing (and of course, it's pretty easy to tell who didn't watch or just skipped around in the video).

But I can reply to all the replies in one fell swoop:

If you think that companies being big and successful is ever good for you, you'll always be wrong.  Every single reply defending Nintendo probably hates some combination of Microsoft, or Apple, or Amazon, or Embracer Group, or Facebook, or Tencent, or [insert probably dozens of companies doing things you think are wrong or hate, or that you would not go anywhere near because of].

The appropriate reply in a case like this is to accept the very thing I said in the video: you don't care because you are simply a consumer.  I care, because in large enough numbers, we can keep these companies fighting each other to our benefit.  At least, that's my hope.  No one company should be sitting at the top, at least not comfortably.  That rug should always be pull-able, by us, the people.

I don't disagree with all your points, but I am not wrong about Nintendo's success with the Switch benefitting me.

Right now, I am practically drowning in great games for my Switch, to the point where I am shelving some for next year as I simply don't have time to play them all, and that is down to the system being so massively successful that it is worthwhile for third parties to bring their games to it.

I do not support them blindly or unconditionally. If they do what I like, I support that with my money, if they don't, then I don't. Right now, what they're doing is good for me, so I'm happy, it's as simple as that.

I've owned a Switch since 2018 and I'm not drowning in games?.

Only time I was drowning in games as with my GBC, GBA, DS, and by the 3DS things started to lessen, and by the time of the Switch I own like 3 Ninty 1st/3rd party titles, the rest being a few indies.

I liked what the Wii U offered at the time, whilst you don't, so I think you're going to find different strokes of fans along the way, and I honestly wished Nintendo had to keep on fighting, because a constant fighter tends to put up a better fight than getting one lucky knockout punch and surfing the rest of the fight.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"