By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 and XS Sales Are Nearly Tied - Global Hardware June 5-11

barneystinson69 said:

Glad to see both consoles doing well. There is going to be huge demand as the supply situation improves.

As far as I'm aware, the Series X/S is currently tracking better than the Xbox One at this time if I'm correct? Haven't checked this however.

Yep, it's about three million ahead of the Xbox One currently and it shouldn't be that long till it's over five ahead.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

PS5 at least will definitely pass 80 million. Heck, it will most likely pass 100 million.

Switch now less than 8 million away from overtaking the PS4.

curl-6 said:
PaulPortland said:

Damn!!! At this rate, XS nor PS5 won't be able to reach 80M of consoles... At least this gen hang on about 10 years...

About Switch, well, it is on its track... Congratulations for Nintendo.

PS5 and XS aren't going to continue at this pace forever; sales will pick up as supply improves, especially for PS5 as it doesn't have the benefit of a Series S equivalent. A longer generation is also a strong possibility due to the companies wanting to recoup their losses.

PS5 at least will definitely pass 80 million. Heck, it will most likely pass 100 million.

PS5 is struggling at the moment but it will pick up and still sell 100m+. Demand is there and even the trainweck PS3 with all it's problems (initially) still got to 87 million. I think Playstation home consoles have to do something seriously wrong not to sell 100 million because the brand is so strong.

Otter said:

Things have already changed compared to a month ago and sony has stated production is due to ramp up

I expect PS5 to easily outperform the year just past but going from 11.5m to 18m is a huge jump in production (57%), perhaps 15m to 16m would have been a more realistic target. PS5 has to do slightly better than PS4's FY 2015-16 (below) of 17.7m, so around 3.33m each for the regular quarters and 8m for the Q3 holiday is what is needed. I don't think Q1 will get to 3m maybe only 2.5m.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 21 June 2022

Around the Network

I think barring a much longer generation that anyone was anticipating (think 10 years or more, which would be unprecedented), the PS5 will sell between 100 million and 110 million consoles lifetime, which is right in line with the historical average for the brand (about 115 million consoles per generation).

As much as I think that Xbox’s resurgence in the Americas/The anglosphere is real, the PlayStation brand is simply too powerful in continental Europe and Asia for Sony to have to be seriously worried about missing that 100 million target.

I will be stunned if the ps5 doesn't sell more than 80 million. I think people are extrapolating current sales and are not accounting for massive stock issues.

trunkswd said:
Chrkeller said:

I will be stunned if the ps5 doesn't sell more than 80 million. I think people are extrapolating current sales and are not accounting for massive stock issues.

PS5 is also tracking ahead of the PS3. 

Which makes the claim that the ps5 won't break 80 million even more baffling to me. 

Switch still charting more than 2 million ahead of 2019, with a strong second half lineup still to come, which probably includes at least one major game not even announced yet going by Nintendo's MO.

If it's 6th year finishes ahead of its 3rd, that would be remarkable.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 June 2022

curl-6 said:

Switch still charting more than 2 million ahead of 2019, with a strong second half lineup still to come, which probably includes at least one major game not even announced yet going by Nintendo's MO.

If it's 6th year finishes ahead of its 3rd, that would be remarkable.

Vgchartz CY sell through for the last 5 years has been 13.2m, 16.3m, 19.3m, 27.8m and 24.9m. the way things are shaping up 2022 will sell between 2019 and 2021 numbers so about 21m to 22m.