By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 and XS Sales Are Nearly Tied - Global Hardware June 5-11

Chrkeller said:

I will be stunned if the ps5 doesn't sell more than 80 million. I think people are extrapolating current sales and are not accounting for massive stock issues.

PS5 is also tracking ahead of the PS3. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Chrkeller said:

I will be stunned if the ps5 doesn't sell more than 80 million. I think people are extrapolating current sales and are not accounting for massive stock issues.

PS5 is also tracking ahead of the PS3. 

Which makes the claim that the ps5 won't break 80 million even more baffling to me. 

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2022 Sales Comparison Charts Through June 11

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to June 15)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to June 13)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to June 12)

2022 – (Week ending January 8 to June 11)

"Year to date" sales for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2022 versus 2021 and 2022 versus 2020 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 3.41 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 942,164 units (+38.1%)
  • Xbox One
    • 0.03 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 457,676 units (-93.8%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 7.10 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 2,490,637 units (-26.0%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 3.36 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,318,421 units (-28.2%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.34 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,076,653 (-75.8%)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Switch still charting more than 2 million ahead of 2019, with a strong second half lineup still to come, which probably includes at least one major game not even announced yet going by Nintendo's MO.

If it's 6th year finishes ahead of its 3rd, that would be remarkable.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 June 2022

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Switch still charting more than 2 million ahead of 2019, with a strong second half lineup still to come, which probably includes at least one major game not even announced yet going by Nintendo's MO.

Basically unheard of for almost any Nintendo system past the GameBoy/NES era.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Vgchartz CY sell through for the last 5 years has been 13.2m, 16.3m, 19.3m, 27.8m and 24.9m. the way things are shaping up 2022 will sell between 2019 and 2021 numbers so about 21m to 22m.

@trunkswd: I've seen that the lifetime sales numbers for the PS2 on Platform Totals secretly have changed from 157.68 to 158.7 mil. Was this number updated because finally someone had time to update the Platform Totals? I can remember that you said that the Platform Totals weren't updated for a long time because nobody had time so far/there was bug or something too iirc. Or was this number for the PS2 changed because you came across more accurate final sales numbers? I can remember that some months ago we had a discussion about the definitive final sales numbers for the PS2.

In this discussion the following link at resetera was mentioned: https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-was-the-lifetime-sales-of-the-ps2-not-158m-update-between-159-2m-and-161-9m.77277/ The conclusion there with the last official shipping numbers from Sony for the PS2 (which were packed up with the PS3 numbers by Sony) was that it must have sold 158.6 mil. at minimum and 161 mil. at maximum. It was generally agreed that the number must most likely be more near the lower spectrum which would put it in line with the updated VGChartz number of 158.7 mil.

Any insight from you regarding the updated number would be very much appreciated.

(P.S.: I also noticed that you changed the numbers for the Nintendo DS which is now in line with the official number from Nintendo at 154.02 mil. [VGChartz had it a bit higher])

Last edited by Fight-the-Streets - on 22 June 2022

Fight-the-Streets said:

@trunkswd: I've seen that the lifetime sales numbers for the PS2 on Platform Totals secretly have changed from 157.68 to 158.7 mil. Was this number updated because finally someone had time to update the Platform Totals? I can remember that you said that the Platform Totals weren't updated for a long time because nobody had time so far/there was bug or something too iirc. Or was this number for the PS2 changed because you came across more accurate final sales numbers? I can remember that some months ago we had a discussion about the definitive final sales numbers for the PS2.

In this discussion the following link at resetera was mentioned: https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-was-the-lifetime-sales-of-the-ps2-not-158m-update-between-159-2m-and-161-9m.77277/ The conclusion there with the last official shipping numbers from Sony for the PS2 (which were packed up with the PS3 numbers by Sony) was that it must have sold 158.6 mil. at minimum and 161 mil. at maximum. It was generally agreed that the number must most likely be more near the lower spectrum which would put it in line with the updated VGChartz number of 158.7 mil.

Any inside from you regarding the updated number would be very much appreciated.

(P.S.: I also noticed that you changed the numbers for the Nintendo DS which is now in line with the official number from Nintendo at 154.02 mil. [VGChartz had it a bit higher])

The Platform Totals was completely overhauled by our new coder, so we can now finally update the figures for older consoles (6th gen and older) ourselves and the error that displayed the wrong figure for newer consoles (7th gen and newer) has been fixed as well. 

When it comes to PS2 final totals I wish Sony would actually provide what its final sales were. But yes, I used the discussions on ResetEra and talked with Welfare over on InstallBase. 

ShadowLink93 said:
curl-6 said:

Vgchartz CY sell through for the last 5 years has been 13.2m, 16.3m, 19.3m, 27.8m and 24.9m. the way things are shaping up 2022 will sell between 2019 and 2021 numbers so about 21m to 22m.

A year 6 total of over 20 million would be insane. What other systems have ever done this? I assume DS, but anything else?

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

A year 6 total of over 20 million would be insane. What other systems have ever done this? I assume DS, but anything else?

Maybe no.

However no other console has also done what PS2 has done. For a few years after it's successor's launch (2006) PS2 has steep declines in yearly sales as well as sales (or shipments rather) well above 10M (14 and 13M for the years 2007 and 2008) when it's successor was already released and the gen was in full swing. Even in 2009 and after PS2 was selling 8, 7 and 6M respectively. In it's 7th and 8th year PS2 sells 14 and 13M and in it's 9th and 10th years PS2 did 8 and 7M. Even in it's last years PS2 has been doing 4 and 2M units per year which now consoles do in their second year after it's succesor or third at best. PS2 did around 2M the year before it's successor's successor launched.

So when we talk about mountains Switch has a lot more to catch and conquer.