By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 and XS Sales Are Nearly Tied - Global Hardware June 5-11

What's the current record for the highest 7th year a system has ever had?

Cos if Switch doesn't get replaced in 2023, and the flow of games continues... (Not saying this will happen, but it's a possibility)

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 June 2022

Around the Network
yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

Cos if Switch doesn't get replaced in 2023, and the flow of games continues... (Not saying this will happen, but it's a possibility)

16.22M on the PS2. Switch is not going to make more than 16M next year. Not gonna happen

That's a long shot, but it's not impossible.

We don't know enough about what Switch's situation will be next year yet.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 June 2022

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

16.22M on the PS2. Switch is not going to make more than 16M next year. Not gonna happen

I think it's possible depending on Nintendo's next move. It also depends on what would count into this Switch's sales. If they make a "Switch Pro" like the PS4 pro would that count as a Switch or a next-gen console. Is Nintendo going to follow their roots and keep innovating their hardware, or are they going to follow the Sony/Microsoft route where they upgrade the specs with minimal innovation. Will they lower the price of the Switch, will they expand their market territory. I think if they really wanted to, they can easily pass the PS2 but I doubt they care.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

That 16.22m for PS2 lines up with fiscal ending March 2023 for Switch, which Nintendo's system will easily beat (21m projected):

Your comparison for Switch's 2023-2024 fiscal would be with PS2's 14.20m, an impressive number, but one that I think the Switch will also beat.

PS2 did keep some very consistent numbers after that though.

Last edited by archbrix - on 24 June 2022

NS dominates as usual
PS5 outselling or at least tying with XS when average demand is not too high doesn't mean supply problems are over, quite the opposite they already lasted more than most of us expected, although I guess Sony has plans that carefully weight costs and benefits also in dealing with supplies.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

curl-6 said:
yo33331 said:

That's a long shot, but it's not impossible.

We don't know enough about what Switch's situation will be next year yet.

16.22m was FY6, the highest ever FY7 is indeed from PS2 but 14.20m.

If Switch isn't replaced next year and gets 2023 to itself, then I reckon it has s good chance of selling more than 14.2m and exceeding PS2's year 7.

curl-6 said:

If Switch isn't replaced next year and gets 2023 to itself, then I reckon it has s good chance of selling more than 14.2m and exceeding PS2's year 7.

Agree, there is no way it drops that low without a successor cannibalizing it's sales.

If they release a Switch Pro early next year alongside Zelda, it definitely has a chance to beat the 14.20m. Could even go as high as 16 or 17m for that year.

@trunkswd Same thing at my local Target when I stopped by there last week. The stock situation is definitely better for Switch and Series S, which explains the sales figures we've had for the past several months.

I've yet to see a Series X or PS5 in a store, though I do find it noteworthy that I saw a good amount of PS5 controllers at Target because those were also previously sold out too.