By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 108 Million - Global Hardware May 15-21

Chrkeller said:

"Forbidden West and GT7 are not PS5 exclusives. You can also get them on the PS4, which has an install base of around 117m. Those 117m people do not have much of a compelling reason to buy a PS5. Demon's Souls is not really an exclusive either, but there are enough people who didn't play the PS3 version that it probably helps to sell the PS5."

By that logic xbox effectively has zero exclusives because all their games are on PC.

All I can tell you is, as a ps4 owner, I bought a ps5 for demon, ratchet and forbidden. I'm guessing I am not the only one.  

I'm not sure exactly what that user thinks has been driving sales 35m units into the the generation.

The sales data is in front of us, a large number of people want to play new games on PS5/Series X, not on last gen platforms and they will buy a new system to do so. Furthermore they're not daft, so they know plenty of current gen exclusives are on the way too. In the next 12months Arkham Knights, Forspoken, Avatar, Resident Evil 4, Starfield, Final Fantasy 16 are all confirmed to be skipping last gen. Cross gen so far has not hindered demand for the new consoles and I'm certain that God of War Ragnarok and Hogwarts will give much demand to PS5 this holiday despite being available for PS4. Then in 2023 I don't expect many cross gen titles at all (AAA).

Around the Network
Otter said:
Chrkeller said:

"Forbidden West and GT7 are not PS5 exclusives. You can also get them on the PS4, which has an install base of around 117m. Those 117m people do not have much of a compelling reason to buy a PS5. Demon's Souls is not really an exclusive either, but there are enough people who didn't play the PS3 version that it probably helps to sell the PS5."

By that logic xbox effectively has zero exclusives because all their games are on PC.

All I can tell you is, as a ps4 owner, I bought a ps5 for demon, ratchet and forbidden. I'm guessing I am not the only one.  

I'm not sure exactly what that user thinks has been driving sales 35m units into the the generation.

The sales data is in front of us, a large number of people want to play new games on PS5/Series X, not on last gen platforms and they will buy a new system to do so. Furthermore they're not daft, so they know plenty of current gen exclusives are on the way too. In the next 12months Arkham Knights, Forspoken, Avatar, Resident Evil 4, Starfield, Final Fantasy 16 are all confirmed to be skipping last gen. Cross gen so far has not hindered demand for the new consoles and I'm certain that God of War Ragnarok and Hogwarts will give much demand to PS5 this holiday despite being available for PS4. Then in 2023 I don't expect many cross gen titles at all (AAA).

Yeah I agree completely.  Forbidden West on the ps5 is a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade over the ps4.  It isn't like they are identical via BotW on the Wii U/Switch (though I think the Switch had better sound).  I also completely agree we know the exclusives are coming.  The ps5, given it's age, has a really strong lineup*.  

*I say this as a Nintendo fan, meaning I lean Nintendo, not Sony.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

For PS5 alone, I can confidently say it will sell under 80m lifetime.  I will probably revise that number downward soon though, because 80m seems too high at this point.  Don't be surprised if I start giving a number less than 80m in the near future.

How on earth can you be so confident about something that is not supported by any data whatsoever?

A game being crossgen does not make it not a systemseller for the next gen console.

How do you not see the flaws in your arguments? XBS has literally 0 full exclusives because everything is also on PC and XBO and yet it still sells.

What do you think why?

@Laser

Was Breath of the Wild not a system seller for the Switch since it was on the Wii U?

Look at MK8 sales on the Switch...  or Mario 3D World.  Despite being on another system, those games are clearly important to the Switch.  

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Norion said:

You did say at least in the US but keep in mind that where stock is sent is heavily prioritized towards there currently. Even if demand isn't that far from being met there it absolutely is far from being met overall when seeing how little stock countries like Spain have been getting the past few months.

You are right.  I expect demand to be met in the US first.  However, the US is also by far the biggest market.  Once demand is met in the US, it actually won't be too hard to divert resources to meet demands in other markets like Spain.  It will take several months of time though.

Forbidden West and GT7 are not PS5 exclusives.  You can also get them on the PS4, which has an install base of around 117m.  Those 117m people do not have much of a compelling reason to buy a PS5.  Demon's Souls is not really an exclusive either, but there are enough people who didn't play the PS3 version that it probably helps to sell the PS5.

For PS5 alone, I can confidently say it will sell under 80m lifetime.  I will probably revise that number downward soon though, because 80m seems too high at this point.  Don't be surprised if I start giving a number less than 80m in the near future.

1. It is the largest single market for sure but was responsible for just about a third of the lifetime sales of the PS2, PS3 and PS4 with Europe taking up the largest portion for all three so it being really far from being met in Europe makes it far from being met overall by itself considering how well PS consoles sell there. There have been weeks this year where the PS5 has sold over 200k when there's been a stock boost and it would easily be selling over 200k normally if there was enough stock available thanks to demand in Europe being met.

2. The install base is not that high. The PS4's successor having been out for a while now combined with factors like people buying multiple PS4's means it's a lot lower and declining every day at this point. And the PS4 versions of games like Forbidden West and GT7 selling way less than the PS5 versions shows that most people don't wanna play cross-gen games on last gen consoles and that despite big games like that being cross-gen there's a lot of people still willing to buy a new console to play them on.

3. What yearly sales are you expecting for the PS5? Cause it should be at least somewhat close to 30m by the end of this year so the average per year for 2023-2027 would have to be under 10m for it to not reach 80m lifetime and with demand clearly not being met right now combined with big exclusives coming next year means there's no reason for it to consistently sell under 10m the next few years unless the stock issue gets even worse and somehow stays that bad for years.

Last edited by Norion - on 08 June 2022

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

@Laser

Was Breath of the Wild not a system seller for the Switch since it was on the Wii U?

Look at MK8 sales on the Switch...  or Mario 3D World.  Despite being on another system, those games are clearly important to the Switch.  

Not disagreeing with your point at all, as Breath of the Wild is the perfect example of a game that can be a new console's system seller while simultaneously releasing on the console's predecessor.  The same situation happened with Twilight Princess releasing simultaneously on the Gamecube and Wii.  But Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Mario 3D World had a lot of content added that were not present in the Wii U versions.  

Mandalore76 said:
Chrkeller said:

@Laser

Not disagreeing with your point at all, as Breath of the Wild is the perfect example of a game that can be a new console's system seller while simultaneously releasing on the console's predecessor.  The same situation happened with Twilight Princess releasing simultaneously on the Gamecube and Wii.  But Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Mario 3D World had a lot of content added that were not present in the Wii U versions.  

Absolutely true, I agree completely.  Pikmin 3 also added coop on the Switch, which is awesome.  

Otter said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

1.  Read your own post.  They are bringing the NES mini back next summer.  It's not a collector's item with only one run.  They've already manufactured several runs of the NES mini and they are planning on doing another one.  However, right now is a dry period, and if you look at the % markup currently its still far beyond the PS5's % markup.  This doesn't mean that people want 30m+ NES mini's.  It probably means they want 1-2m worldwide.  Likewise, PS5 demand is not that far above supply, because the % markup in the resale market is not nearly as high as even the NES mini.

2. "You're putting your feelings over actual data."  You're projecting.  The most meaningful data comes from the resale market, which you are ignoring.  The resale value is based on things like Math and Economics.  Nothing else is going to give you a better idea of the demand for this system.

The tweet is from 2017, so its not next year. The first link is Nintendo announcing that its being discontinued which obviously defines it a hard to find item, the follow up tweet months later them announcing they're bringing it back for  summer 2018 in Europe. There is a whole 6-9months gap between the announcement and the new stock arriving, I thought that it'd make it clear that this isn't a readily produced product... it's proof that its a device that is understood to have a limited production and remain rare, this has been communicated by Nintendo themselves. I guess I should have just left you with this:

"We’ve also been clear that, at least from an Americas perspective, these products are going to be available through the holiday season and once they sell out, they’re gone. And that’s it.” That's Reggie

https://gamerant.com/nes-snes-classic-discontinued-2018/

I'm not sure whats so hard to get in understanding that the markup for such a device is obviously going to be larger than a device with continual production thats garaunteed to be on sale for the next 8 years and produced to maximum capacity.

Instead of paying $800 for PS5, you can just wait a week and see if it turns up at your local store which it will, its just a case of whether you're lucky enough to get it. A lack of willingness to pay crazy markups does not mean demand is close to being met.... That being said the markup is still pretty generous, so the only thing we can conclude is that demand is NOT being met.

PS5 sales doubled in the US week on week. Doesn't sound like demand was being met at all if it can see such massive increases just based of more available stock. Unless the same week saw a massive decrease in markup cost, its safe to say your deduction are pretty useless.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/246323/ps5-sales-top-20m-xs-sales-near-15m-global-hardware-may-22-28/

I have no idea why you posted that tweet then, because it seems like an arbitrary point in time.  They launched the NES mini in 2016, and they continued to make more after they did.  Then your quote is from 2017 which says they will make more in 2018.  Obviously they made these things plenty of times.  That is not limited.

At the same time, the resale value was through the roof.  Even while they were being shipped to stores, the resale value was through the roof.  My wife bought me one for $60 while they were listed on Ebay for $300.  So yeah, it was possible to get one, but also very difficult.  Demand was a lot higher than supply and that is why the resale price went up so much.  It's basic economics.  Supply and demand determine the market price.  When the mark-up is huge, then there is a big gap between supply and demand.  When the mark-up is small, then there is a small gap between supply and demand.

Chrkeller said:

That makes sense.  However, do you really think that those are some of the most popular games around.  I personally like Valkyria Chronicles enough that I would buy a system if it had this game and another game or two I liked.  However, I am not naive enough to believe that many other people share my taste.  Some games are more popular than others.  PS5 doesn't have an exclusive or a gen 9 only game that is really popular.

Kakadu18 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

How on earth can you be so confident about something that is not supported by any data whatsoever?

A game being crossgen does not make it not a systemseller for the next gen console.

How do you not see the flaws in your arguments? XBS has literally 0 full exclusives because everything is also on PC and XBO and yet it still sells.

What do you think why?

Crossgen games have limited appeal in that they are not much different than ports.  Ports are better than nothing, but who wants a system of only ports?  The Vita was basically this kind of system.  Every decent game on the Vita is also on another system.

"How do you not see the flaws in your arguments? XBS has literally 0 full exclusives because everything is also on PC and XBO and yet it still sells.  What do you think why?"

This question doesn't seem to address what I am saying.  You quoted a post where I predicted less than 80m for PS5 lifetime.  Are you making a statement about X|S lifetime?  Do you think X|S will sell at least 80m?  Or perhaps you are addressing something else?  I'm not sure what you are referring to.  Could you clarify?

Chrkeller said:

@Laser

What you are saying applies as long as you are willing to equate the PS4 and the Wii U.  I don't think most people are willing to do that.  One thing that made BotW desirable for the Switch is that not many people owned a Wii U.  For Switch owners, the game was new to them.  On the other hand there are around 117m PS4 owners out there.  These people could pay $500 extra to play on PS5 or nothing extra to play on PS4.  That is $500 for slightly better graphics.  These PS4 owners have a huge incentive to just not buy a PS5.  A good incentive to buy PS5 would be popular games that can't be played on PS4.  PS5 does not have this.

RolStoppable said:

I see, The_Liquid_Laser came to curl-6's rescue. Seems to become a more regular occurence that these global sales threads see some crazy talk, happens once per month or so.

I know right?  I say crazy things like "software sells hardware".  I am glad you are too enlightened to believe this kind of nonsense.    Do you believe that the PS5 sells by magic like the posters who are arguing with me?  They haven't given me a good reason why many people would buy a PS5, so I can only assume they believe in magic instead of my crazy "software sells hardware" argument.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Chrkeller said:

That makes sense.  However, do you really think that those are some of the most popular games around.  I personally like Valkyria Chronicles enough that I would buy a system if it had this game and another game or two I liked.  However, I am not naive enough to believe that many other people share my taste.  Some games are more popular than others.  PS5 doesn't have an exclusive or a gen 9 only game that is really popular.

Kakadu18 said:

What do you think why?

Crossgen games have limited appeal in that they are not much different than ports.  Ports are better than nothing, but who wants a system of only ports?  The Vita was basically this kind of system.  Every decent game on the Vita is also on another system.

"How do you not see the flaws in your arguments? XBS has literally 0 full exclusives because everything is also on PC and XBO and yet it still sells.  What do you think why?"

This question doesn't seem to address what I am saying.  You quoted a post where I predicted less than 80m for PS5 lifetime.  Are you making a statement about X|S lifetime?  Do you think X|S will sell at least 80m?  Or perhaps you are addressing something else?  I'm not sure what you are referring to.  Could you clarify?

Chrkeller said:

@Laser

What you are saying applies as long as you are willing to equate the PS4 and the Wii U.  I don't think most people are willing to do that.  One thing that made BotW desirable for the Switch is that not many people owned a Wii U.  For Switch owners, the game was new to them.  On the other hand there are around 117m PS4 owners out there.  These people could pay $500 extra to play on PS5 or nothing extra to play on PS4.  That is $500 for slightly better graphics.  These PS4 owners have a huge incentive to just not buy a PS5.  A good incentive to buy PS5 would be popular games that can't be played on PS4.  PS5 does not have this.

RolStoppable said:

I see, The_Liquid_Laser came to curl-6's rescue. Seems to become a more regular occurence that these global sales threads see some crazy talk, happens once per month or so.

I know right?  I say crazy things like "software sells hardware".  I am glad you are too enlightened to believe this kind of nonsense.    Do you believe that the PS5 sells by magic like the posters who are arguing with me?  They haven't given me a good reason why many people would buy a PS5, so I can only assume they believe in magic instead of my crazy "software sells hardware" argument.

Yes.  I think Spiderman, Horizon and GT are all massively popular games.  The Souls series, while once niche, has gotten wildly popular.  Elden sold very well.  So yes, I think the ps5 has numerous system sellers.  Going from the ps4 to ps5 isn't minor.  Graphics, framerate and load times are all significantly improved.    

Sure, there were more ps4 owners than Wii U owners...  however consider BotW on the Wii U and Switch are virtually identical...  the same isn't true with Forbidden on the ps4 versus ps5.

Either way we are going in circles.  I got involved based on the claim the ps5 wasn't in high demand...  it sells out minutes after being restocked...  it is in high demand.  

*I also think you are crazy via thinking the ps5 will sell less than 80 million units.  

**Deathloop was also a very nice game.  I have a good number of ps5 games.  Given it is less than 2 years old I am quite impressed with the lineup.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 08 June 2022