By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Climb, PS5 Sales Drop Below 100K - Global Hardware May 8-14

Mar1217 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Xbox is outselling PS5 2:1 in the Americas this week. I know they are both in short supply, but that seems like a normal ratio to me. These early adopters will influence what system their friends will buy. On top of that XBox really is a stronger brand in the US. It's XBox > Nintendo > Playstation for how Americans consider these brands. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see XBox finish 2:1 ahead of PS5 in the Americas this generation.

So why are the stats showing Nintendo dominance there but you would consider them as second fiddle to the Xbox ?

I am talking about brand rather than raw sales.  Brand is the ability to sell a product simply because the company put their name on it.  Partly it has to do with how well the best product can do and how well the worst product can do.  XBox and Nintendo are both strong brands in the Americas, so maybe they are about the same.  I tend to think XBox is a little stronger though.  

VGChartz has XBox360 at 49.11m and XB1 at 32.47m in North America.  There is not much variation there, even though XB1 seems like a clearly worse product than PS4 (higher launch price, weaker hardware, fewer exclusives, etc...).  That's a strong brand.  Nintendo's brand is strong mostly because of their handhelds.  DS sold 57.92m and 3DS sold 25.77m.  So the DS has a higher peak and the 3DS was a lower valley.  I suppose that makes Nintendo close to XBox, but 3DS didn't have to compete with a product that was clearly better.  That is why I'd put XBox a little ahead.  (Also Nintendo's home consoles haven't faired nearly as well.)  Both are stronger brands than Playstation in North America though.  People still like Playstation, but it really hasn't done extremely well since the PS2 days, and it lost that title fairly quickly in the generation after.  Americans simply like XBox and Nintendo more than Playstation.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mar1217 said:

So why are the stats showing Nintendo dominance there but you would consider them as second fiddle to the Xbox ?

I am talking about brand rather than raw sales.  Brand is the ability to sell a product simply because the company put their name on it.  Partly it has to do with how well the best product can do and how well the worst product can do.  XBox and Nintendo are both strong brands in the Americas, so maybe they are about the same.  I tend to think XBox is a little stronger though.  

VGChartz has XBox360 at 49.11m and XB1 at 32.47m in North America.  There is not much variation there, even though XB1 seems like a clearly worse product than PS4 (higher launch price, weaker hardware, fewer exclusives, etc...).  That's a strong brand.  Nintendo's brand is strong mostly because of their handhelds.  DS sold 57.92m and 3DS sold 25.77m.  So the DS has a higher peak and the 3DS was a lower valley.  I suppose that makes Nintendo close to XBox, but 3DS didn't have to compete with a product that was clearly better.  That is why I'd put XBox a little ahead.  (Also Nintendo's home consoles haven't faired nearly as well.)  Both are stronger brands than Playstation in North America though.  People still like Playstation, but it really hasn't done extremely well since the PS2 days, and it lost that title fairly quickly in the generation after.  Americans simply like XBox and Nintendo more than Playstation.

I don't think America really stays loyal to a "brand" like Europe does to Playstation and Japan does to Nintendo.  America follows trends and moves from brand to brand.  Nintendo had been the strongest over the past few years, but at this moment in time I'm not sure what company is the strongest as all three are doing quite well when stock allows.  It seems like if all 3 brands could produce 100K consoles/week, all three would sell them all.

Clearly XBox is stronger in America than anywhere else, since MS is an American company, but they're not necessarily the strongest all the time.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mar1217 said:

If you add the Wii U to 3DS they're almost on par with the Xbox One.

Jesus I thought maybe the worst of the stock issues was over but here's a new low point. Hopefully this will just be a particularly bad week instead of the start of a really bad period.

Switch still tracking around 50% ahead of 2019, so still healthy as a horse for a system in its 6th year.

PS5 remains closely aligned with Switch's sales trajectory since launch; will be an interesting to watch in the long term as while Switch blew up in year 4, PS5 might be a similar late bloomer once the chip crunch alleviates and supply can finally start to catch up to demand.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mar1217 said:

US is definitely Xbox's strongest market but I think its hard to argue its stronger than Playstation or even Nintendo, they have different demographic strengths but I think they're similar pitched. Microsoft have simply had stability, they never had a catastrophic phase like PS3/Wii U. The Xbox One's only major problem with mainstream implication was launching at £499, but that changed within months and from day one it delivered all of the experiences which brought the majority of people to Xbox 360 (Halo & Gears/3rd Party AAA games/Online competitive gaming).

PS4 didn't establish a strong exclusive library until mid way through the generation and they were all cinematic single player experiences. Prior to Uncharted 4 we had Knack, Killzone, Driveclub, The Order....  Microsoft was buying 3rd party exclusives like Titanfall and Tomb Raider in the first half of the generation alongside Halo actually having a strong presence from year 1. The disparity you see in other regions where PS4 doubled Xbox is more in relation to how strong the PS brand is in those areas versus Xbox One being some terrible console.

Comparably PS3 was a much bigger misstep than the X1 and yet their sales are almost equal in the US

Last edited by Otter - on 25 May 2022

Microsoft can pump out the series s much better than series X. And ps5 just tanked. When will Sony get their stock somewhat in order? Switch and Xse have some consistent shipping. Maybe nvidia is pulling some strings and of course Xbox can do whatever on their own

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:

Microsoft can pump out the series s much better than series X. And ps5 just tanked. When will Sony get their stock somewhat in order? Switch and Xse have some consistent shipping. Maybe nvidia is pulling some strings and of course Xbox can do whatever on their own

Well the same week Xbox outsold PS5 3:1 in Japan, only 100 units of Series X sold. I think Microsoft is shifting the vast majority of their production to Series S which is easier to produce as opposed to having some secret deal with Nvidia 

Otter said:
Eagle367 said:

Well the same week Xbox outsold PS5 3:1 in Japan, only 100 units of Series X sold. I think Microsoft is shifting the vast majority of their production to Series S which is easier to produce as opposed to having some secret deal with Nvidia 

I was talking about nintendo and nvidia. What does Microsoft have to do with nvidia anyways? I was just saying nvidia has a lot of pull to get the chips so I'm sure they are helping the switch stay in stock and that Microsoft has a lot of money to throw at the problem and a lot of pull so they can do that. Sony is having a lot of issues. 

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:
Otter said:

I was talking about nintendo and nvidia. What does Microsoft have to do with nvidia anyways? I was just saying nvidia has a lot of pull to get the chips so I'm sure they are helping the switch stay in stock and that Microsoft has a lot of money to throw at the problem and a lot of pull so they can do that. Sony is having a lot of issues. 

I meant to say that I think Series S is more or less the whole solution, hence the terrible Series X shipments. MS only shipped 30k more units, I don't think they're pulling any tricks

Last edited by Otter - on 27 May 2022