By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Climb, PS5 Sales Drop Below 100K - Global Hardware May 8-14

The extreme drop in PS5 sales in Japan was a good indicator of low stock.

Around the Network

Even with stock issues, it blows my mind that the Xbox Series outsold the PS5 in Japan.
Sony seems to have given up mostly in Japan for over 5 years now. Microsoft is taking what they can get.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Kakadu18 said:

It should also be noted that For Xbox Series only 105 were series X and over 6k were series S.

Wman1996 said:

Even with stock issues, it blows my mind that the Xbox Series outsold the PS5 in Japan.
Sony seems to have given up mostly in Japan for over 5 years now. Microsoft is taking what they can get.

Sony has shipped the same amount of PS5s in Japan as they did PS4s in the same period. Shortages are causing wild fluctuations but the actual accumulative shipments don't signal giving up. The PS3/PS4/Wii sold around 10m each. Sonys shipments to Japan place it along a similar trajectory based on past Playstation performance. 

Sony has a major problem on their hands. Hopefully things work out. Lots of momentum for Xbox while the Switch continues to coast.

Around the Network

I have a feeling the rest of May and most of June are going to be pretty barren sales wise for Xbox and PlayStation

This... is a disaster for Sony. Some customers won't wait out restocks.

Nice little bump for Switch which comes primarily from Asia.

XS manages to stay ahead of PS5 YTD still.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 May 2022

Xbox is outselling PS5 2:1 in the Americas this week. I know they are both in short supply, but that seems like a normal ratio to me. These early adopters will influence what system their friends will buy. On top of that XBox really is a stronger brand in the US. It's XBox > Nintendo > Playstation for how Americans consider these brands. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see XBox finish 2:1 ahead of PS5 in the Americas this generation.

Kakadu18 said:

I'm now starting to look as japan software sales to get a better picture, and it still doesn't look good at all for the PlayStation, something is badly wrong