By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lets have a discussion: Multiple sources say SONY's next big grab is Square Enix.

Doctor_MG said:
twintail said:

Not everyone wants to keep doom gloom posting about these things all the time, because there are actual benefits to acquisitions to all involved parties.

Is this all for the worst? Yeah, maybe. But that's not a guarantee.

Most people aren't "doom gloom" posting. Most people I see here and on other threads are acting like this is a beneficial thing for gamers. 

I know. I'm saying ppl don't want to do that because they've already expressed their concerns, and or accepted that this is inevitably going to happen.

Around the Network

I forsee a future where all big 3rd party publishers of today will be exclusive to Microsoft or Sony
While today's indies will be the 3rd party games of tomorrow

Kneetos said:

I forsee a future where all big 3rd party publishers of today will be exclusive to Microsoft or Sony

Nin will get Koei Tecmo if necessary.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Kneetos said:

Nin will get Koei Tecmo if necessary.

Koei Tecmo is a private company, they aren't gonna sell unless they're almost bankrupt.

If they're in serious acquisition talks, SE wouldn't be breaking themselves up unless they believed that's what Sony wants. And, I can't see where it would make any sense for Sony to want Tomb Raider (an established *multimedia* franchise) broken off. So, I'm betting against this rumor being true.

My bet is that they had been in talks, but those talks stalled. When the Sony acquisition fell apart, SE sold part of their business to Embracer.

Alternatively, they may have been talking Sony about a sale of their western studios, but Embracer made a more attractive offer.  

Around the Network
VAMatt said:

If they're in serious acquisition talks, SE wouldn't be breaking themselves up unless they believed that's what Sony wants. And, I can't see where it would make any sense for Sony to want Tomb Raider (an established *multimedia* franchise) broken off. So, I'm betting against this rumor being true.

My bet is that they had been in talks, but those talks stalled. When the Sony acquisition fell apart, SE sold part of their business to Embracer.

Alternatively, they may have been talking Sony about a sale of their western studios, but Embracer made a more attractive offer.  

Why would they need TR when Uncharted fares far better critically and commercially?

Like, I can see TR not being high on their list of priorities.

Last edited by twintail - on 09 May 2022

twintail said:
VAMatt said:

Why would they need TR when Uncharted fares far better critically and commercially?

Because Sony is a multimedia business and Tomb Raider is an established multimedia brand.  One of Sony's major businesses is movies, where Tomb Raider is an established player (though it has been a while).  It isn't just about gaming, but Tomb Raider is also an established successful brand in that business. So, it is hard for me to see where Tomb Raider wouldn't be an especially important part of a Square Enix deal for Sony.  In fact, I could make a case where it might be the most important SE IP for Sony, because it fits multiple of their businesses.  

That said, my comment is just speculation.  But, if a company is in acquisition talks with another company, they're not going to break themselves up unless they know that's what the acquirer wants. I just can't see where Sony would have wanted the Western portion of the business broken off. And that leads me to think that there likely isn't a Sony and Square Enix deal in the works at this time.  

Kyuu said:

Yes Sony is going through similar investigations, hence buying Crystal Dynamics at this time could have been a bad move (for both Sony and MS). I'm assuming there wouldn't be as many complications with the FTC if the company in question is Japanese.

PC being a bigger player than it has ever been and the growing base of Japanese-game fans on PC will naturally compel SquareEnix to improve their support and optimization for the platform. SE's biggest game plays best on PC (FFXIV). And if we're counting ports, then PC is already THEE place to play SquareEnix games coz it keeps getting games that usually skip one or two of the 3 consoles. It's pretty much the only place where you can play almost any SquareEnix game. A notable advantage.

You'd think they would have been compelled years ago, even in recent years when Capcom publicly announced that they want to shift gears to PC more often, and SE didn't really pick up on that announcement as a message to improve their own quality.

Personally I feel like Capcom's improved far more than SE when it comes to their port quality and parity, while SE is now wanting to charge even more for late ports, doing exclusivity deals for one store only and focusing on Sony first, PC second, instead of Capcom's approach of PC/consoles being in the same league. We shouldn't be waiting years for a company as rich and as big as SE to do what Capcom is doing, with lesser budgets and power. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

VAMatt said:
twintail said:

Because Sony is a multimedia business and Tomb Raider is an established multimedia brand.  One of Sony's major businesses is movies, where Tomb Raider is an established player (though it has been a while).  It isn't just about gaming, but Tomb Raider is also an established successful brand in that business. So, it is hard for me to see where Tomb Raider wouldn't be an especially important part of a Square Enix deal for Sony.  In fact, I could make a case where it might be the most important SE IP for Sony, because it fits multiple of their businesses.  

That said, my comment is just speculation.  But, if a company is in acquisition talks with another company, they're not going to break themselves up unless they know that's what the acquirer wants. I just can't see where Sony would have wanted the Western portion of the business broken off. And that leads me to think that there likely isn't a Sony and Square Enix deal in the works at this time.  

I don't think I agree with the assessment that TR is that important. It's an established multimedia brand, sure: but why would that make it any more lucrative for Sony who are currently deep in pushing their IP's beyond games as is. Sony could pick up a gaming IP and that would be equally as valuable because they can make the multimedia push happen regardless. We're seeing this with the likes of Uncharted, TloU, Twisted Metal, Ghost of Tsushima, and possibly even God of War and Sly Cooper. And the success of the Uncharted movie (beyond even the 2018 TR movie) is a positive sign they can make it happen.

Other SE IP will work just as easily: DQ has anime after all and anime is one of Sony's pillars. FF has anime, movies and TV shows, with one being spearhead by Sony Pictures themselves.

This is not to say that I think Sony wouldn't want TR. I merely question the importance of it in the grand scheme of things. Right now, TR is just a lesser variant of Uncharted in every conceivable way. If Sony wants the multimedia push, it would make sense to continue with differing IPs imho. 

And I should add that I don't necessarily believe that SE offloading their EU department was to line up this buy, but I also don't think that SE EU offered anything worthwhile to Sony either. CD, Eidos and SE Montreal are not exactly successful studios, and besides TR, neither are their IP.  

If they keep making multiplatform games then yes. If not... no, thank you. It took ages for them to release their FF games on PC and other consoles, and even more time for KH. Let's not go backwards, ok?