By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lets have a discussion: Multiple sources say SONY's next big grab is Square Enix.

Tomb raider stays multi and FF stays on PS mainly, it would make sense

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

I'm by no means an expert on how major acquisitions are handled, but perhaps it can be reasoned that Eidos studios and IP's selling for as cheap as they did is a result of Sony offering to buy SquareEnix at a very high price with the condition of SE quickly selling their western studios so Sony can bypass some FTC complications.

I think it's only a matter of time before Sony starts gobbling up a few Japanese studios (Arc System Works, Kojima Productions, and FromSoftware are other candidates). Then again, the FTC giving Microsoft trouble might have the exact opposite effect of Sony trying to pick up big studios or publishers.

If this does go through, I don't think Nintendo fans have much to worry about. SE could remain semi-autonomous and these smaller 2D/HD2D games, ports, and remasters, will continue releasing on Nintendo platforms, except they wouldn't be exclusive anymore. The few Xbox fans who care about SquareEnix stuff will probably get screwed worse than they already are. And PC will remain king.

I can see DQ12 going timed exclusive on PS5 before getting ported to PC and Switch 2, but even this is unlikely.

Isn't Sony only now just receiving the same investigation from the FTC that MS got? (When Sony bought Bungie).

I can definitely see them buying out some more Japanese studios. Seems like the past few years, 2 of the big 3 have been making consolidation power moves, that and the other publishers have more or less shot themselves in the foot or weakened themselves in some other manner. 

I think when it comes to SE in general, Xbox fans get screwed almost all the time. I remember during 7th gen they got a lucky break by getting that one exclusive game from SE (the name escapes me atm), and then after Sony came back strong near the end of that gen, SE sided with them again and it's been like that since (of course with Ninty getting some love on the side as well). 

Not sure about their PC side though, as their ports are middling at best, and their newfound focus on upping the prices doesn't exactly sound enticing on PC. It more or less paints a picture that SE care greatly for Sony, with Nintendo in 2nd, PC a distant third and Xbox dead last. 

But that's on them really, the other markets are viable and exist to pander to, but I guess SE only cares about 1 & 1/2 of the entire market.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I posted this in the PlayStation thread but I'll repost it here too:

Even without its western division, Square Enix would be an incredible get for Sony, bolstering their Japanese development arm with JRPG's/MMO's, improving content pipelines and PS+ BC, a few mobile development teams, as well as securing content for Crunchyroll via Gangan Comics.

Sony would get the Final Fantasy IP which includes the incredibly popular FFXIV + other spinoffs, DragonQuest which includes spinoffs like DQ Builders/DQ Heroes/DQ MMO and a popular anime series, Kingdom Hearts which strengthens their partnership with Disney, Nier as well as its upcoming anime adaptation, and other IP's like Star Ocean & Chrono Trigger, as well as some of the Western IP that Square Enix retained such as Life is Strange, Just Cause and Outriders.

Square Enix is one of the few Japanese publishers that would benefit a variety of Sony growth vectors with their various businesses. Most of Square Enix's flops have been from their western division (critically and commercially), as well as some of their partnerships like Babylon's Fall or Balan's Wonderland, but the former has been sold off and Sony would probably stop with the latter.

The only interesting part of this discussion would be about Square Enix's AA games.

Nintendo gets a ton of mid sized, timed or even fully exclusive, RPG games from Square. I could see Sony still releasing games on Nintendo platforms with the only change being that they wouldn't be exclusive. On the other hand, indie games like Sifu or Kena that aren't full price and review well, have been successful on the PlayStation platform. Sony could very well treat Square's smaller releases like they do with some of their bigger indie titles.

Teno said:

Well, I don't believe it until it's done, but it would be contrary to recent PlayStation studio investments given that they were more interested in buying western studios.
It's important for Sony to secure Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy installments for PlayStation though, since both brands are heavily bonded with the PlayStation community.
It would make sense for PlayStation. But it's highly a waste of money, since Sony doesn't gain that much benefit unless Microsoft tries to buy Square too and steal these IPs away.

Sony could very well increase their yearly revenue and operating profit by billion(s) with the acquisition and integration of Square Enix.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

As Sony Interactive entertainment is an american company that in recent ears focused on western games, I doubt the start to gobble up japanese studios. SIE recently reduced their japanese development capacities, this would be counterproductive if they want to expand. I can see them taking studios close to them (Kojima) and strategic IPs (which is why Square or Capcom would be possibilities), but I don't think they care at all for all these smaller devs like Arc Systems, From, NIS or Falcom.

Yeah, if Sony is looking towards Japan for potential M&A, it will be a massive publisher like Square or Capcom. 

I could see Finsl Fantasy being a Sony franchise, but Dragon Quest is much more at home on Nintendo platforms. And these days, Dragon Quest is their best franchise. 

Doubtful Square Enix Management is pretty focussed on NTF and Blockchain. I doubt they want interference from PlayStation.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I would have thought Square Enix would have been a more attractive buy for Sony with Crystal Dynamics included so they could get their major PS1 systems sellers in Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider franchises elusive to them going forward.

I think Square-Enix would've kept the other Western studios if they were lining up for a sale like this. Also think if Sony does this, it's just a matter of time until Microsoft buys one of the major Japanese studios like Capcom as a response.