By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lets have a discussion: Multiple sources say SONY's next big grab is Square Enix.

Kneetos said:

All these studio acquisitions are getting a bit too out of hand
And fans are devolving into the nerdiest w*lly measuring contest.

Sony fans: Well MY console gets final fantasy
M$ fans: Yeah well MY console gets elder scrolls 6
Nintendo fans: hey guys, pokemon. Xenoblade
Sony & M$: no one asked you!

Fixed ;)

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I absolutely hate that gamers continue to discuss these acquisitions as if they are going to be beneficial for us in the end. The more publishers get purchased by others the worse it will be for gamers and workers alike. The gaming industry is slowly changing for the worst. Maybe it isn't bad today, but it's headed in a bad direction.

Doctor_MG said:

I absolutely hate that gamers continue to discuss these acquisitions as if they are going to be beneficial for us in the end. The more publishers get purchased by others the worse it will be for gamers and workers alike. The gaming industry is slowly changing for the worst. Maybe it isn't bad today, but it's headed in a bad direction.

From what I've gathered, if one company, let's say Sony buys more studios then they get more games which means they get more customers.

If Sony has all the games people want as console exclusives then naturally people will gravitate towards the playstation family of systems which means, people who can only afford one system at a time won't be giving money to other console makers.

Just like with hardcore Microsoft fans they want all games on their platform and not feel any need to buy another one. I've seen so many playstation owners prey this news is true so final fantasy and dragon quest will be "only on playstation" while also getting games like octopath traveller and triangle strategy

I think Square Enix would fit Sony well.

By merging with Sony, they will have more resources to build their technology base to make their future games shine, Square isn't as industry-leading that it used to be, so the help probably wouldn't go astray.

With all things considered though, the downside is for consumers who buy squares games on other platforms like Switch and Xbox, there is potential that those releases would stop, which is particularly a detriment for Nintendo as they don't get much in the way of 3rd party AAA multiplats to start with.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

twintail said:
Doctor_MG said:

Not everyone wants to keep doom gloom posting about these things all the time, because there are actual benefits to acquisitions to all involved parties.

Is this all for the worst? Yeah, maybe. But that's not a guarantee.

Most people aren't "doom gloom" posting. Most people I see here and on other threads are acting like this is a beneficial thing for gamers. Also, the benefits are unlikely to outweigh the very real detriments. In the last four years Sony and Microsoft have made almost as many studio purchases as they have in the twenty five years leading up to these purchases. Then there is Tencent who has purchased something like 40 studios in the last four years. Embracer Group who has purchased over 70 video game studios. Then we have the consolidation of publishers with MS, GungHo, EA, and Tencent all purchasing multiple publishers. Now people want Sony to buy up even more developers and publishers. Some may claim it's a "fight fire with fire" type thought, but that isn't going to be beneficial for us as consumers. We also see time and time again how mass consolidations and oligopolies reduce worker compensation and lead to worse working conditions (which video game publishers are already bad at). 

So...yeah I'm sticking with the doom gloom for right now. I can see the direction it's heading and I don't like it. I'm not just going to sit back and not voice my opinion on it. MAYBE it wont happen, but I find it doubtful. This is not the only market that this has happened to, unfortunately.

Around the Network

I forsee a future where all big 3rd party publishers of today will be exclusive to Microsoft or Sony
While today's indies will be the 3rd party games of tomorrow

Kneetos said:

I forsee a future where all big 3rd party publishers of today will be exclusive to Microsoft or Sony

Nin will get Koei Tecmo if necessary.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Kneetos said:

Nin will get Koei Tecmo if necessary.

Koei Tecmo is a private company, they aren't gonna sell unless they're almost bankrupt.

If they're in serious acquisition talks, SE wouldn't be breaking themselves up unless they believed that's what Sony wants. And, I can't see where it would make any sense for Sony to want Tomb Raider (an established *multimedia* franchise) broken off. So, I'm betting against this rumor being true.

My bet is that they had been in talks, but those talks stalled. When the Sony acquisition fell apart, SE sold part of their business to Embracer.

Alternatively, they may have been talking Sony about a sale of their western studios, but Embracer made a more attractive offer.  

twintail said:
VAMatt said:

If they're in serious acquisition talks, SE wouldn't be breaking themselves up unless they believed that's what Sony wants. And, I can't see where it would make any sense for Sony to want Tomb Raider (an established *multimedia* franchise) broken off. So, I'm betting against this rumor being true.

My bet is that they had been in talks, but those talks stalled. When the Sony acquisition fell apart, SE sold part of their business to Embracer.

Alternatively, they may have been talking Sony about a sale of their western studios, but Embracer made a more attractive offer.  

Why would they need TR when Uncharted fares far better critically and commercially?

Like, I can see TR not being high on their list of priorities.

Because Sony is a multimedia business and Tomb Raider is an established multimedia brand.  One of Sony's major businesses is movies, where Tomb Raider is an established player (though it has been a while).  It isn't just about gaming, but Tomb Raider is also an established successful brand in that business. So, it is hard for me to see where Tomb Raider wouldn't be an especially important part of a Square Enix deal for Sony.  In fact, I could make a case where it might be the most important SE IP for Sony, because it fits multiple of their businesses.  

That said, my comment is just speculation.  But, if a company is in acquisition talks with another company, they're not going to break themselves up unless they know that's what the acquirer wants. I just can't see where Sony would have wanted the Western portion of the business broken off. And that leads me to think that there likely isn't a Sony and Square Enix deal in the works at this time.