By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your favorite Nintendo home console?

What's your favorite Nintendo home console?

Nintendo Entertainment System 43 4.80%

Super Nintendo Entertainment System 181 20.20%

Nintendo 64 153 17.08%

GameCube 144 16.07%

Wii 42 4.69%

Wii U 42 4.69%

Switch 291 32.48%

Total:896

The Wii takes second place for me.

From Nintendo's own greats like Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Xenoblade, Metroid Prime 3, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword to third party developed titles like Monster Hunter Tri, The Last Story, Sin & Punishment 2, Fatal Frame 4, Fatal Frame 2 reimagining, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Goldeneye 007 remake, COD Modern Warfare/World at War/Black Ops/Modern Warfare 3, etc, its lineup is second only to the SNES in my book.

Plus motion controls were such a fresh and cool innovation that rekindled an excitement I hadn't felt since the leap to 3D in the 5th generation, and really enhanced gameplay when well implemented.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 May 2022

Around the Network

Nintendo 64

Obviously Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time (duh)

Wave Race!!

Killer Instinct Gold

Turok (my first FPS)

I loved all the Nintendo Systems. N64 should have been named Ultra 64 but it was still cool. It’s analog controller and proper 3D graphics made the realistic physics feel like a valid transition from 16bit into the future of games. That was one crazy leap.

Nintendo will never be that ballsy again.

I voted Switch in the poll but I'm changing my answer to GameCube. I grew up during the GameCube/Wii years in terms of gaming with Nintendo consoles. Something about GameCube (along w/GBA and DS) gives me that good nostalgic feel.

Top 5 games:

LoZ: Wind Waker

Super Monkey Ball 2

Super Smash Bros Melee 

Mario Kart Double Dash

Super Mario Strikers

Mar1217 said:
Shadow1980 said:

It's essentially a tie between the NES and SNES for me. The NES had more somewhat more games overall that I enjoyed, but the SNES saw substantial improvements to gameplay in certain series that originated on the NES (e.g., Zelda & Metroid) and it was the golden age of the JRPG in my view, with classics like FF4, FF6, and Chrono Trigger.

If I had to pick, I'd probably go with the SNES, but it's a really close call.

I wonder what you'd think about JRPG's from 2017 to today ? In my view series like Persona, Xenoblade, Tales of, Nier and the HD-2D movement from Square has more than revigorated the genre during the previous generation and the current one. I'd say we're currently in a Golden Age even, if not, a Silver age.

Same here. The current RPG age for me easily rivals, if not outright bests, the SNES and PS1. Not only are the games abundant, but they've generally taken advantage of advances in technology, narrative, and game mechanics.

I'll go ahead and rank the whole gang:

1. GameCube
  2. Switch
  3. Wii
  4. SNES
  5. N64
  6. Wii U
  7. NES

Some of my GameCube favorites are Tales of Symphonia, SSBM, The Twin Snakes and Wind Waker.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

1- Nes - balanced library, and Super Mario Bros. 3 and The Legend of Zelda ( the best 2d version of respective franchises)

2 - Switch - Until now, maybe surpass NES in long run. BotW, Smash, Hollow Knight, and Mario Kart all track are exceptional games. 

3- Wii - bright burn and fast 

4- Snes - is not a good enough sports game ( all in Genesis, with the exception of Konami football), but strong thirds RPGs library and a great Nintendo library. And SF 2!

5 - Nintendo 64 - only Nintendo and Rare ( excellent, but not good enough)

6 - Gamecube - Resident Evil games and Rogue squadron only ( In my point of view, the worst Nintendo games on a console)

7- WiiU

After 5 years with the Switch, it’s definitely pushed SNES out of the top spot for me

Agente42 said:

1- Nes - balanced library, and Super Mario Bros. 3 and The Legend of Zelda ( the best 2d version of respective franchises)

2 - Switch - Until now, maybe surpass NES in long run. BotW, Smash, Hollow Knight, and Mario Kart all track are exceptional games. 

4- Snes - is not a good enough sports game ( all in Genesis, with the exception of Konami football), but strong thirds RPGs library and a great Nintendo library. And SF 2!

6 - Gamecube - Resident Evil games and Rogue squadron only ( In my point of view, the worst Nintendo games on a console)

7- WiiU

I got a bone to pick about that GameCube opinion. Metroid Prime? Smash Bros Melee? Windwaker/Twilight Princess? Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door? FZero GX? I mean, maybe you feel like the library isn't enough, sure, but all of these games are incredible with many being arguably the best entries in their respective franchises (i.e. best 3D Metroid, 3D Zelda's, Mario RPG)

Doctor_MG said:
Agente42 said:

7- WiiU

I got a bone to pick about that GameCube opinion. Metroid Prime? Smash Bros Melee? Windwaker/Twilight Princess? Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door? FZero GX? I mean, maybe you feel like the library isn't enough, sure, but all of these games are incredible with many being arguably the best entries in their respective franchises (i.e. best 3D Metroid, 3D Zelda's, Mario RPG)

Metroid Prime only playing  Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii. The best 3d Zelda it´s BotW, the best Mario Rpg is Super Mario Rpg or Bowser Fury.  The worst 3d Zelda and the worst 3d Mario, in my opinion was on Gamecube

Darashiva said:

I'm genuinely not sure which one I like the most. From a purely nostalgic point of view the NES is at the top, but the overall quality of games is much higher on many of the later consoles. The Wii U is probably the only one completely out of the running, and I don't think I've played enough games on the Switch to really pick it yet. I think I'll go with the Gamecube, if only because my friends and I played literally thousands of hours of various multiplayer games on it, from Smash Bros. Melee to Phantasy Star Online and Tales of Symphonia among many others.

it´s not an easy task.  Wiiu is the worst, the only easy task, but the rest have good games or excellent games in big numbers. The top 4 for me it´s the most difficult.